SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
emag_junk

Kitchen Flooring Design - Overwhelmed and Frustrated

Eric
4 years ago

I can build almost anything but am the first to admit I'm out of my element with regards to design. I've learned a lot from others posts and projects but I still feel WAY out of my lane. Basic concepts like "Warm" vs "Cold" colors might as well be ancient Egyptian hieroglyphs. With that being said I've finally decided I need some outside input. I've read multiple articles on kitchen design and am still at a loss.

Dishwasher caused water damage expedited our kitchen remodel on a fixer home. Our goal was to make it "nice" and appealing to the masses because we may not be in this home more than 5 years. I want something we're comfortable in but won't turn off the general public if we sell in a few years.

I'll give you all my thoughts and dilemma. And wouldn't welcome any input and advice. I've tried to include real pics of the situation. In some cases (like countertops) I've tried to attach pics of the closest thing I could find.

Situation: Kitchen remodel and trying to select flooring and countertops that will look good with the cabinets and theme of the rest of the house.

The main floor of the house is this:

• Flooring: Multi-tone laminate flooring, wood look, medium-dark brown (see pic)

• Walls: Navajo Sand (beige)

• Ceiling/Door Fixtures: Oil-rubbed bronze

Kitchen:

• Cabinets: White shaker (purchased but not installed)

• Cabinet Hardware: Oil-Rubbed Bronze (not yet purchased)
  • Countertop: Quartz, beige with minimal color variation. It's already been purchased but CAN be returned with a moderate restocking/freight fee. So I could possibly find something else. I think I'm married to the supplier's options since it's already been ordered and received at their facility. I can't get a refund but can select another option from their selection. I don't have pics but tried to find something similar to give you all a better idea.

• Flooring: HELP..
  • Backsplash: To-be-determined. There seems to be lots of options. If I can get the other things hammered out I'm confident I can find a backsplash option to match.

My thoughts are either a tile look LVP or real tile. Large format 12"x24" The entry to the kitchen butts up against the wood look laminate. I know putting two wood-look floorings adjacent to one another is a no-no. Hence the idea for tile/tile look.

• I want the countertop/cabinets/flooring to contrast and compliment without clashing with the rest of the house or each other.
  • My main fear is that I'll choose options that completely clash with each other and make potential future sellers recoil in disgust.

Once the quartz countertop order arrived my wife and I realized it doesn't have much contrast with the white countertops. To be honest. I think the color of the main floor laminate would look great in the kitchen. However, it's not waterproof so extending it into the kitchen is a no-go.

Questions:

1. I can't go with a light colored floor because the kitchen cabinets are white..correct?
  2. Should I consider finding a different color countertop?
  3. We've considered having the cabinets/countertops installed first BEFORE choosing a flooring since it might give us more confidence when we choose. However, IF I can find options that work it would be easier to install tile before the cabinets are installed.
  4. Should I go with a darker or multi-tone countertop to provide more contrast with the white cabinets?
  5. If #4 is true..the floor should be darker as well?

It seems like we can find countertops that mesh with the cabinets. And flooring that meshes with the cabinets. But don't have confidence that all three will look any good together.

Thanks in advance. Fire away!

Comments (3)