SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
khaubs

April 2020 Building a Home

K H
4 years ago

Let‘s keep things going the best we can. Good luck for everyone’s health to stay well and everyone’s build to progress. My motto for the month!

Comments (468)

• Sherryl
    3 years ago

Yes, and what are your floors?

• NewEnglandgal
    3 years ago

Thanks mtpo My floors were my biggest mistake. . Sherryl I would NOT get my floors in a kitchen or bathroom. They are Palladio engineered. They are beautiful, I love the way they look however water has stained in a few spots and cleaning is specific to dry mop and spray cleaner. I have to clean up any spots of water that may drip or I could get black marks.
    My husband wants to add a rug runner between our island and perimeter cabinets. Kind of defeats the purpose of having a beautiful floor.
    I wanted LVP and husband wanted real wood. I should have fought harder for LVP. It is so much easier to take care of.

My KD quit his job mid build and another came on from the same business but she did not pick up on the mistake of measuring in my laundry room. We have a short wall of cabinets and in one spot, in the corner, we had an open space under the counter to place a hamper.
    Unfortunately the side of the dryer is about 4 inches from the opening plus it sticks out past the opening so it is wasted space.

I would have placed my fireplace mantel lower although it worked out ok . The TV height doesn't bother our necks one bit luckily.

I love my perimeter countertop but water shows dark spots if not cleaned up right away. It doesnt absorb it all which is odd, just leaves darker mark. It does eventually go away, it isn't permanent. So not sure I would have chosen it again..but I love the way it looks.

I would have tried to add a linen closet for my guest bathroom and lastly I would not have insisted on the marble floor for my guest bath. Yes I love it and find it easy to take care of but it wasn't worth the price. As I've said before, things I thought mattered do not.
    I think we put a lot of pressure on ourselves to get everything perfect.
    I do love my home and am very happy. None of the things mentioned above are enough to upset me or make me lose sleep. It is next door to our former home, and we had saved this lot for our single level, growing old house.

• Related Discussions

March 2020 Building a Home

Q

Comments (337)
    You guys are very kind! Here are the specs/selections for my kitchen stuff: @mtpo - here's what I can gather together on my selections for the kitchen As I mentioned, cabinets are Windsor White shaker cabinets from a company called Koch Cabinets. If you happen to be in central Virginia, our vendor is Chesapeake Bay Cabinet Company. They've been great. The island is that same cabinet maker but in their Driftwood finish. I don't have a good photo of the counter tops yet but they areTechnistone Noble Areti Bianco (white quartz with subtle veins) Sink faucet is Delta Trinsic Pull Down in Arctic Stainless This is the kitchen sink The backsplash tile is called "Par Avon" by Crossville. The color number is HWR05, and obviously we did it in the 3x6 picket shape, but we debated doing the gothic picket shape for a while too. This brochure has all the details. Our local tile vendor in central Virgina is Mosaic Tile Co. Flooring is red oak stained on site with Minwax Weathered Oak. Not water popped, just applied per instructions and a satin poly applied on top. These are the pendants over the island (very dusty in my photo due to construction dust obviously) Wall paint color is Sherwin Williams Eider White. Trim paint is Sherwin Williams Pure White. More photos of kitchen. The ones without the backsplash installed are before counters and before floor staining. I'll post more photos when the backsplash is done and the clutter is off of the counters (should be in the next day or two!)
    ...See More

June 2020 Building a Home

Q

Comments (315)
    @K H Apparently there was a miscommunication between our realtors. Mine received the rejection of our counter offer but not their counter-counter which we did accept last Friday! It's not too bad for what's going on around here market-wise, less than we paid for this place 20 years ago, these guys are getting a good deal with the improvements we made. All we have to worry about now is the inspections, because it's a VA loan and those are notorious for falling through because they ask for the moon. Fingers crossed we can deal with whatever they don't like without breaking the bank. In the meantime, just in case it all works out, we're sorting and packing and moving things into storage that we won't need should the deal fail. If it all works out we have to be out of here before Labor day, and will be paying $50/day rent for every day past closing.
    ...See More

July 2020 Building a Home Thread

Q

Comments (500)
    @hummingbird678 and @Sherryl thanks for the discussion on granite. We picked our slabs last week and are going with a level 3, "Blue Dunes", but we're in the dark regarding the additional cost above the level 1 allowance. Lots of progress this past week. Most of the exterior stonework is complete. All cabinets are in except the kitchen, and interior trim has begun. We're doing SW "Snowbound" on all cabinets except the island and master bath cabinets which are SW "Stamped Concrete". Master shower tile is done as well
    ...See More

September 2020 Building a Home Thread

Q

Comments (541)
    @lynnheins, I am so sorry about your roof! Gosh, that sucks! We are having a roof issue, too, that the builder says is a non-issue. It only shows for a brief period of the day when the sun is at a certain position.... His response was, “It comes from the sun hitting it on just the right angle and shows up any tiny bit of irregularity on the sheathing. It seems it happens more with unfinished areas as the temp change makes it condensate more when the sun hits the top side and the bottom is still cold. I’m not sure there is anything we can do with it but we will look at it.” Ugh.
    ...See More
  • shead
    3 years ago

@NewEnglandgal, I think we have decided to go with LVP in our house. I love the look of wood but besides being a lot more expensive, I've never had great luck with durability with kids in the mix. We live on a cattle farm so I need something easy to keep clean. We are looking at CoreTec Calypso Oak. It's probably not a mainstream option to put LVP in a brand new house, but I'm at the point in life where cleanability is huge deciding factor on house decisions :)

• NewEnglandgal
    3 years ago

shead I agree and for the same reasons wanted LVP. I wanted as little maintenance as possible.
    My husband wanted wood in case we ever decide to sell. I dont agree and Im the one cleaning it!
    You are very wise!

• The_Lane_Duo
    3 years ago

@NewEnglandgal What is your perimeter countertop? It sounds like it just needs another seal on it, if it is a natural stone. Thankfully, an easy fix! Your home looks beautiful.

• Cheryl Hannebauer
    3 years ago

https://www.houzz.com/user/shead

We used LVP, in the mudroom, laundry room, loft office and the bedrooms, love the ease of cleaning it.

Main area, open concept, used tile in kitchen, foyer & Eng. wood in the dinning room & great room. Tile in the bathrooms. You can go to my page, under idea books, look for new build Gabe to see some photos.

• N Kay
    3 years ago

@Cheryl Hannebauer I was just stalking your New Build folder - your stools - do you like them? Where did you get them? I've been looking at that style

• Cheryl Hannebauer
    3 years ago

N Kay

The bar stools came from SCAN DESIGN, as we are in Canada, quite comfy .. and I looked for along time, almost settled on another type & found these, as we were driving by & I said to hubby, lets stop in as this is the only store we have not been in. Purchased 4 stools & 2 chairs, and have been thinking on buying more of the chairs to switch out with the currant DR chairs.

• NewEnglandgal
    3 years ago

Silver grey granite. It is honed

• Trish Walter
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

@NewEnglandgal thanks for the honesty. I know I will have many things I would change...some structural [ugh]. oh well...

I wonder if the issue with your engineered wood is the matte finish? I'm nervous abut that as we currently have old engineered throughout our main level [including kitchen and powder] and it's been so easy to maintain...but it's glossier.

• cd7733
    3 years ago

@K H I'm so sorry for y'alls loss. Pets are so precious. My heart goes out to y'all.

@Trish Walter O.M.G. What in the world?! I hope it all works out for the better and there's no crazy legal fiasco.

Our flooring is wood-look tile. That's what's in my earlier posted pics. I needed something kids and large dogs couldn't destroy. I would've loved to put in engineer or hard wood but couldn't stomach the scratches and dents I KNOW my family and pets would give it.

We currently have a lower cost wood-look tile in our spec home that is awesome. It's just a flat, picture tile with no texture and takes a beating. The new build flooring is a higher grade with textured grain. I love how it looks!

Update for us:

We paid for our appraisal today and they're grouting the bathroom tiles!

• Sherryl
    3 years ago

For those of you using LVP (and I’m still SO conflicted about it but leaning that direction), what did you do to manage the transition with tile? Our builder is working on the contract now, and I have said if we go with LVP, they need to somehow manage the flooring where it all meets without the lips, so all the same level. We are nearing retirement and don’t need the tripping hazard or the aesthetic issue with that.

• Trish Walter
    3 years ago

@Sherryl I plan on engineered and tile [should be similar to LVP] and want to turn a piece for transition....

Here's a picture.

• Sherryl
    3 years ago

Trish, LVP is 1/5” thick; engineered is 1/2”, and tile is 3/8”, which with the adhesive underneath makes it match up with the engineered. There’s just apparently no good way to make the LVP match up with tile without doing transition pieces with a bump up, unfortunately.

• Trish Walter
    3 years ago

drat.

• K H
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@Sherryl our tile is Mannington Adura in our Mudroom and bath. We have 3/4" hardwood in the main room. We had to put a plywood underlayment down and then they put down the thinner underlayment under the tile to raise it up. I'll go find my bill..... We did not use a transition piece(just turned our hardwood like in Trish's photo) and all of our floor is the same level. Material cost was a bit higher but the level floor was worth it to me!

• mtpo
    3 years ago

NewEnglandgal, Your floors look so beautiful. Even knowing what a problem the wood floors will be, I am going full steam ahead to make the same “mistake” you made. Our kitchen, dining area and family room are one big rectangle. I know it makes sense to put something more durable in the kitchen, but I think the wood throughout the entire area and foyer will look better. I’m hoping that if our builder puts enough coats of Bona High Traffic on it, the kitchen floor will survive.

• mtpo
    3 years ago

Trish, We need easy transitions for DH’s wheelchair. no sills. Although it won’t be elegant, we may use a Schluter strip if need be where tile meets wood.

• The_Lane_Duo
    3 years ago

@mtpo Have you considered using tile throughout instead? Maybe wood looking tile if you are wanting a wood look in some areas, & then another tile in other areas? That way, there would not be the t-molds at the doorways or transitions. Just a thought!

• kriii
    3 years ago

Nice builds! I finished a little before the time NEG was finishing,so it's cool to see the finished product. Hope your shoulder heals well NEG. I just have patio installation and the rest of the landscaping for the summer. Kind of anxious to do that, especially since we cancelled summer travel so the back yard is the new vacation destination.

• NewEnglandgal
    3 years ago

Hi @kriii! We are looking forward to having our lawn reseeded and putting in some shrubs and flowers. What are you planning for your patio?

• jkent9024
    3 years ago

@mtpo We used a Schluter strip between master bed and bath when we renovated a couple of years ago. It's perfectly seamless.

• mtpo
    3 years ago

Jkent, thanks for the photo. That looks nice and neat. 😁

• Kirsten E.
    3 years ago

@K H I'm so sorry for your loss.

@NewEnglandgal re brick-look backsplash - thank you! I'm waiting for my counters, which is unfortunately holding other trades up, like plumbing. Most recent date we've been given for install is May 14th. Not sure what the cause of the delay is - very frustrating! We choose silestone quartz.

@mtpo we did schluter transitions everywhere because I love how minimal they are!

• mtpo
    3 years ago

Has anyone used Schluter for the tile floor heating system or the underlayment to make tile more resistant to cracking?

Has anyone used the upgraded grout mix that does not require sealing, is anti-mold and supposedly easier to clean? I understand it is costly, but if it really works as advertised, I love the idea of low maintenance. On the other hand, don’t want to waste money.

• K H
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Starting to get a little angry. I want to order my backsplash tile and bullnose but can't get pics of it from the company with the different colors of grout! The 2x8 tile is a matte shimmer but it is not pure white(like a pearl) so I'm not sure what color of grout to go with! Found these on my own. I think the top one is a light gray grout and the bottom is a bone grout?

• N Kay
    3 years ago

@K H those two pics are very different styles. What are your counters? I would do the first for a modern more minimal kitchen. The 2nd is really pretty, so soft and feminine

• Trish Walter
    3 years ago

I think gray would be easier to keep clean too ? Pretty

• itsourcasa
    3 years ago

@K H I'd go with the grout that matches the tile, the lighter one, I'm not a fan of having the grout stand out but I know I may be in the minority. That tile is gorgeous, what are all the grout options?

• K H
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Grout options are white, bone or light gray. I'm going with a traditional 1/2 stagger(not sure if that's what it is called we call it the robot!) We have the traditional cherry wood with Cambria Berwyn quartz.

• shead
    3 years ago

I agree that I'd use a grout that matches the tile. It appears that in both pics, the tile has slightly irregular borders and using a gray grout may drive you nuts since it will draw attention to the fact that the grout lines aren't straight.

• K H
    Original Author
    3 years ago

The tile is irregular. Here is another photo I found.

not sure the grout color on this photo.

Here it is in a bathroom. I just love the texture of the tile. But I can not identify grout color at all. To me it all looks the same on the computer lol!

Here is the Berwyn. This is my friend's counter so the lighting/iphone snap isn't the best but it has a lot of whites, creams, grays and a bit of sparkle. So it is a more busy pattern which is why I wanted a simpler subway. Better picture of Berwyn

And all trim and wall color in here is white dove so it is a grayer white. I'm hearing more votes for a light color so that would be a white or bone. Would white make the tile look dirty since it is more of an oyster/pearlescent color?

• mtpo
    3 years ago

KH, Are you working with anyone at the tile supplier that could send you a few tiles and the grout samples? if the store has a good designer, maybe s/he (they) can make a helpful recommendation. Your kitchen looks terrific already.

• Ashley
    3 years ago

wow, I'm terrible at picking out colors and noticing undertones, so I have no input. But wanted to say that your kitchen is looking gorgeous and I absolutely love the texture of that backsplash you chose.

K H thanked Ashley
  • K H
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I was trying to work with them. I called them and asked about samples of grout and even pictures. They said they would send them but they haven’. I don’t understand why people don’t follow thru. They must be getting lots of business so my small order of 50 sq ft isn’t worth the effort!

• Kirsten E.
    3 years ago

Do you know what grout company they use? I ordered grout sample sticks to choose my colors long distance. Also, check reviews with pictures and the questions others ask; sometimes they mention their grout choice!

K H thanked Kirsten E.
  • N Kay
    3 years ago

Looking at your counter bone or white for sure - that 2nd pic of the original series that you thought might be bone would be what I’d be using for inspiration.

• N Kay
    3 years ago

We spent some quality time with our project manager today and tomorrow we do a lightning walk through with our builder, PM and electrician. This seem to be moving billy everything is still so far off. Sigh.....

• N Kay
    3 years ago

Wow autocorrect won the battle in my last post 🤷‍♀️

• snowcountry
    3 years ago

Do your builder do walkthroughs with you? Mine seems to be leaving everything up to PM. PM is good but his design sense is a bit off. If he reinterprets the plan, we get into trouble. A little hard to communicate that we are better off to stick to the plan literally.

The walk through with the electrician was tough. I was not prepared. I didn't know what to expect.

• Cheryl Hannebauer
    3 years ago

We were good for most of our build, as it was our 2nd time building & hubby is a PEng & worked along side of our crew everyday. Because we built on an island off of another island, there were a few challenges, with waiting on a few of the sub trades, the drywall took a just over a month, cuz they used our job as a fill in & came on the weekends,did the boarding & tapering & came back to fill & sand on Saturdays & then the electricians for the final finishing took a little longer than we planned.

• Cheryl Hannebauer
    3 years ago

for the electricians, we did our walk through & it was good, but when it came time for the installation, a couple of items almost got missed, ie a outlet in the front foyer- lucky they were on the island & had to come to our place to pick up a tool that had been left here, and when I told the owner/ electrician, Warren stayed and put in an outlet right away, exterior light at the back door was almost missed as there is going to be attached carport there, they didn't think we would need one, but since we haven't done the carport yet, I asked for it to wired, the one thing I do regret is that we didn't put exterior LEDs in one area long side of the mudroom/ back entry, as we will be changing the walkway path to the front entrance, we may have to put them along the north side of the carport once it's done. The one thing that was missed was hardwired for the answering machine to go in the kitchen , as now I have to go up to the loft/ office to see if there are any messages on machine.

• N Kay
    3 years ago

@Cheryl Hannebauer Thanks for sharing - I appreciate any and all experience since this is our first build and I just don't know what I don't know.

We had a PM change when the outbreak happened (totally understandable), the new PM has lots of trade experience and has been much more on-site. Our builder is definitely the design mind behind everything. Our builder was here for an initial walk through with HVAC and Plumbing and now another with Electrician. The PM also seems to be deferring anything design based to our Builder. We shall see .......

Any other things I should pay attention to for the electrical walk through?

• Cheryl Hannebauer
    3 years ago

N Kay-

if your going to use a roombra, Think about where your/it is going to park >>right now ours is in the dinning room, but had I thought about it, I would have put a outlet in the pantry, even though it a small pantry. We didn't have one before, but because of the open concept we purchased one for this house as an after thought. Last house had a built in& after much discussion, decided not to do that here, so have a roombra & Meile canister vaccum.

• N Kay
    3 years ago

@Cheryl Hannebauer Good one!!!

• mtpo
    3 years ago

NKay I am hoping I’ll get to work at home more in the future and understand that Ethernet is more secure and possibly faster than WIFi. I put Ethernet hook ups in a lot of different rooms so I won’t have long wires laying around as trip hazards. Even though we’ll have a study, I know I’ll want to sit with my computer at the kitchen island so we had wire run there that will come up through a hollow island leg. Make sure Ethernet wiring does not run parellel to electrical wiring (it causes interference).

we hard-wired for picture lights where we plan to build bookcases, but since then I found out it wasn’t really necessary to hardwire as so many of the nice fixtures are battery operated now.

My builder suggested 2 exhaust fans in several of our bathrooms ... I had him order the new NuTones with the antibacterial UV light/regular light and fan to go near each toilet and a regular exhaust fan/light outside of the shower to prevent humidity build up/mold. Decided to use part of my entry guest coat closet for my main cable box/router. The builder also put some hook ups in around the house to amplify the WiFi throughout the house.

Also hooked up special exterior security lights that we can turn on/off from 1st floor and the 2d floor MBR.

Hook up for under counter fridge (in case we later want one) in 2d floor laundry room. Hope some of these ideas are useful to you.

Know we probably forgot stuff. I forgot wall plug for Dustbuster in the pantry. No matter how much we plan, it’s never enough.

• Comoelita Melendez
    3 years ago

Do you join the thread for the month you signed purchase agreement (under contract) or when the builder actually starts working(like pulling permits)? If the latter then will hop onto the June 2020 thread. :)

• shead
    3 years ago

It’s a rolling thread. We start a new one at the beginning of each month and the old ones go silent. There’s a September thread going now which is where you can start posting :)

• Comoelita Melendez
    3 years ago

Ahhh, thank you shead! ;) Will do!