SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sshelkop

My style? Color suggestions?

Stacy Shelkop
4 years ago

I’ve always considered my style more along the lines of contemporary. For all you designers, looking at the photos of my living room, dining room and entry, what style would you label them? Also, looking to change out the teal pillows on the sofa. What color/textures would you recommend?

Comments (36)

• User
    4 years ago

Your style appears to be transitional to me. Lovely home.

• Related Discussions

Shelf color and leg style suggestions for my desk

Q

Comments (3)
    I would put a square box-like base on it. I don't think any type of leg would look very good. Or you could add a box-like top on your piece....one that opens up to put things in. How much extra height do you need to make it a stand up piece?
    ...See More

Curtain style and color suggestions needed.

Q

Comments (40)
    If you don't live by the sea or have any ties to the ocean it lacks context, and isn't cute enough to outweigh the incongruity. JMHO! I do like your desire add a color in the red/pink/orange/coral family. Thibaut has an oriental toile that has a strong color background with a black and white medallion design. It comes in red, I know (we have wallpaper in the pattern) and a vivid apple green, which would be fantastic In your laundry room.
    ...See More

cabinet style/color suggestions? stained tongue/groove walls

Q

Comments (7)
    I used stained beadboard in the butler's pantry/scullery part of my kitchen, with painted cabinets. Here's a picture: While the dishes in these may make it appear to dressy, I think it can give you an idea that a simple shaker style painted cabinet could look appropriate and great. I could see it in pale yellow (as mine is), a green, grey-blue, white, even barn red, depending on what overall look you're going for. Good for you not wanting to paint...it'll keep that wonderful character. Love it.
    ...See More

Suggestions for curtain colour / style for this space please!

Q

Comments (22)
    Thanks Sigrid. We have a fabric market in Amsterdam that my mother in law wants to go to choose the fabric. They have a huge selection so hopefully we will find something there (at least for the main curtains). I'm still stuck on what colour(s) to choose though to suit the space and furniture. Any suggestions from anyone are still welcome. : )
    ...See More
  • everdebz
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

As to new pillows - if curtains are grey [and Idk if they 'relate' to anything else] ... oh, is there art propped by fireplace, in the corner... :)

• Stacy Shelkop
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Agreed over accessorized glam which is exactly why I posted these pictures...for input. I’m not a glam person at all but somehow over the years I have squeezed it all in. Hate it. I love minimalistic, simple but yet not completely stark.

The dark gray curtains are a temporary fix. I would love to leave my windows completely uncovered. Unfortunately, I am more comfortable having my windows covered at night.

Art on the corner of the fireplace is apparently a “no no”. Got it and thank you. Still wondering about the pillows??? Everdebz. Would love your input.

• houssaon
    4 years ago

I love your living room furniture, but I think you have too many pillows. I would get rid of the three colored ones (blue and dark one) on the sofa and the one on the chair. Sit on the sofa and see if the remaining pillow give enough support and allow at least two people to sit comfortably. Edit away at least half of the decorative accessories. I would also remove the mirror over the sofa. Maybe you could make a collage of some of the art you have for that space.

Again great dining furniture but way too many decorative pieces. Nothing should be on the floor. Edit. Store want you don't use and in a few months you can switch it up again. Why is the table on an angle? I would align it with the buffet. Love the color on the wall. Do you really need a floor lamp?

Nice entry. All the same advice for this space. No throws for the chair.

• Julie Schmooley
    4 years ago

Gosh I wish my house looked so put together! Beautiful! In regards to pillows I would get rid of the colors and the matchy matchy ones. Maybe get some with texture like wool knit in different color neutrals that work with the space? Maybe stripes like black and white to tie in the mantle? But the carpet is so beautiful I would do neutral everywhere in regards to the pillows!

• jck910
    4 years ago

My first reaction is the TV. Does it get watched in this room? It is way to high and none of the seating is in a comfortable position to watch it. Can you post pictures of the 4 sides of the LR? Maybe the other 2 are open to DR and kitchen?

Entryway: Love the chest but all the stuff hides it. Hang the art, remove the lamp, remove the vase with the pussywillows and just leave the sculpture. Remove the lantern and floor lamp.

Pillows: for a minimalist look remove all except the ones that match the chair.

• PRO
    Norwood Architects
    4 years ago

My vote would be transitional as well - on it's way from being traditional to contemporary. It's quite nicely done although a little cluttered in some of the photos. There's a lot going on in the dining area. Think it would benefit from removing some of the items especially some of the lighting.

• Stacy Shelkop
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Wow!!! Thank you all so much for the advice and ideas. I was worried I wouldn’t get any feedback. I am so glad I finally decided to ask for input on Houzz. I have already removed pillows, accessories, clutter off the floor and aligned the dining table with the buffet. I believe I can lower the TV on the current mount. Loving it so much more. Would love any other ideas.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    4 years ago

IMO definately not contemporary I think glam is much closer if you want to change that get rid of all the glam accessories that add a lot of clutter to the space . How can anyone sit on the sofa with all those pillows , Unless that mirror is reflecting something worth seeing twice remove it. I would like to see the whole space to comment further. But IMO less is more if you are leaning toward contemporary at all. This is my LR I would say much closer to contemporary if that helps

• Stacy Shelkop
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you Patricia. So helpful. I absolutely love your LR. Closer to what mine looked like when we moved in and somehow I managed to “clutter” it up. My LR, DR, Kitchen and Entryway are all open. The mirror reflects the kitchen and French doors out to the deck which is not ideal. I would like to use the mirror somewhere as it is large and was fairly expensive. Would you recommend a large piece of art instead? There is a large plant ledge over the sofa. Don’t mind the cobwebs and popcorn ceilings. That is a project coming soon. I am eager to get this house back to comfortable and not closed in.

• jck910
    4 years ago

Thanks for the additional picture. Looks great with just those pillows. Move the 2 pieces of art over the sofa

• Elizabeth
    4 years ago

These thoughts are based on your stated desire to pare it down. I personally would do a lot of paring. Right now, you are definitely very accessorized, which is fine, if that is your style. My suggestions will be drastic because you are saying you want less transitional and more contemporary. Contemporary style tries to let objects breathe, by balancing negative space (the "empty" ones) with positive space. On top of that, contemporary styles try to achieve balance through means other than symmetry. I am seeing a lot of symmetry in these pictures. You pretty consistently put tall things on both sides of the mantel, and on both sides of the entry table. In both situations, try getting rid of one tall thing. You also pretty consistently block the view to your large artwork with other items. This is called layering, and it is a more transitional style.

It already looks better just simplifying the sofa.

I would reduce the objects on that ledge... possibly to nothing... In fact, that area up above the ledge might look airier if you painted it to match the ceiling - but I don't know if that is an option at the moment.

Fire place: maybe one item on the floor? Remove all the artwork from both sides? The framed art between the fireplace and the curtains doesn't really have enough room. I suspect that once you remove those, you may feel like the metal? art on the right side are over crowded. So let your mantel breath. Negative space is a good thing. Then look at the mantel, and pick one thing (or pair of things like both candles) and put it on one side. Remove the rest.

Front entry: (and this is extreme)

Keep: Dresser, chair, rug, lamp and hang the large art work from the wall. And possibly one small decorative object (you may not need it at all). Or you may find that a low jewelry chest or key basket sort of thing centered under the art looks better. Symmetry is not all that contemporary.

Remove: The vase and buds, almost or all the smaller art pieces, and the candle on the floor. The vase and buds blocks the artwork, if you really want the vase and buds, the artwork may need to go... but the artwork is better in my opinion.

OR! Move the entry artwork over top the sofa, and remove the art from behind the lamps. Move the mirror over top the entry table, and center the buds on that... but remove all the other items from the table, including the lamp.

Like I said, my suggestions are extreme. Try living with it for a week, and see if you like it. You can always put things back.

• Stacy Shelkop
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you jck910 and Elizabeth. I have been working all day on decreasing the clutter. I am loving it so much more. I truly appreciate the opinions you all have shared with me.

Elizabeth your”drastic” suggestions are on point and exactly what my vision is for my home. Thank you for taking the time to describe each area and the changes you would make to them to fit more with the contemporary style. I do have an excessive amount of symmetry going on. I love perfectly imperfect. I am getting there!!!

• everdebz
    4 years ago

Stacy, not a 'no' but yes, let's see the art [on the floor, a bit behind the arm of the sofa] ?

• everdebz
    4 years ago

Can I ask about ceiling lighting / and the ledge? That'd frustrate me. Possibly a minimal attention with lights: LED tape/rope on top/at back of the ledge. Nothing sitting on it, then.

• everdebz
    4 years ago

Is it as big a feature as it seems in a photo? while going off to sleep, I thought about the G.Canyon rim is like your ledge, well idk... but if you increase the scale of something on that wall, might it hold the weight up [visually] of the ledge.... either 2 striking lamps on large side. Or canvas pieces on the large side... then much less small items throughout room.

• Stacy Shelkop
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Yes everdebz that is track lighting on the ceiling and above the huge ledge and I do not like it at all. I have been looking at new lighting for LR, DR and entry but just can’t decide. I actually have LED rope lighting for the back of the ledge. Just haven’t got it up there yet. There is outlets and a wall switch to easily control that. I want to find a huge piece or pieces of wall art for above the sofa that is reasonably priced. Do you have some ideas?

• everdebz
    4 years ago

Probably in my ideabooks... is teal a fav? how wide is your sofa?

Many would say posters are too large....something 'comforting' about it - maybe that there are 3 and they entirely fill the wall? very long sofa.

Michigan Summer Home · More Info

• Stacy Shelkop
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Would rather not have teal in the large art since I am getting tired of teal. Something that will go with any accent color I would change to in the future.

• everdebz
    4 years ago

I was going to ask if you'd remove everything from LR's surfaces and post photo... ? well, Beverly did that for you. Whatever the lighting way up, and if it's functional, then not so bad? Would Beverly's look do it - with a new pillow or 2?

• everdebz
    4 years ago

Would you be interested in experimenting with a mirrror grouping - but over sofa? hmm...

Bay Area Remodel · More Info

• dianabythelocks
    4 years ago

following...

• everdebz
    4 years ago

2 ? each 30 x 47"

Michelle Calkins 'Club' Canvas Art, 12x19 · More Info

https://www.houzz.com/products/michelle-calkins-fibonacci-spiral-canvas-art-12x19-prvw-vr~59673596

Michelle Calkins 'Fibonacci Spiral' Canvas Art, 12x19 · More Info

• everdebz
    4 years ago

While I'm looking at art, I sort of see this with entry's look, and sconce, willows... quite moody though..

Destination I Wrapped Canvas Art Print, 24"x24"x1.5" · More Info

• everdebz
    4 years ago

Idk your reasons for wanting art that'll go with anything you'd buy later ... many say that art that is loved is what matters, and it doesn't have to go with anything. I say that among the number of art options ya love, there's bound to be 1 or 2 that'd look better in a home. To keep within our means, compromises are necessary - cheaper canvas pieces can be enjoyed too, and can work within the plan.

• everdebz
    4 years ago

Talk ? an abstract landscape type of art seems good with alot - if the colors appeal, etc... your paint color of ledge too might be like this frame. The darker is like the floor, and could work with dining set nearby...

"Wispy Clouds" Painting Print Whitewash Frame Wall Art (51 in. W x 36 in. H (12 · More Info

"Wispy Clouds" Painting Print Brown Wood Grain Frame Wall Art (51 in. W x 36 in. · More Info

https://www.houzz.com/products/wispy-clouds-painting-print-brown-wood-grain-frame-wall-art-51-in-w-x-36-in-prvw-vr~151111932

• everdebz
    4 years ago

Or -- i know you didn't ask -- a soft teal oop I just rememebered no more... ok what if another soft neutral-ish paint. Black/white and what your home has now, could become more, more interesting.... here's idea to add in between your 2 b/w pieces.

"X-Ray Leaves x-ray photography" Black Framed Art Print, 38"x28"x1" · More Info

https://www.houzz.com/products/x-ray-leaves-x-ray-photography-black-framed-art-print-38x28x1-prvw-vr~125461810

• everdebz
    4 years ago

Furniture is light -- maybe these are simple and beautiful enough for anything -- I like his work... 30" wide? and colors like your art of figures / musicians [?] -- might be good above dining console with painted wall same as nearby wall -

"Magnolia Close Up" Print, 9"x12" · More Info

https://www.houzz.com/products/magnolia-close-up-print-9x12-prvw-vr~103730971

• everdebz
    4 years ago

Tired of teal yes? with new rug, good with neutrals and wood floor - 3 behind sofa, maybe same artist and 1 sized different....

"Orange Orchid x-ray photography" Black Framed Art Print, 38"x38"x1" · More Info

https://www.houzz.com/products/orange-orchid-x-ray-photography-black-framed-art-print-38x38x1-prvw-vr~125465925

• katinparadise
    4 years ago

following

• Dana Galka
    4 years ago

I think you house is beautiful. For me, the first thing I noticed is it is very.... Even. One thing under the TV, 3 items on each side. Then two more on the wall on each side of the fireplace. I think you should put something unexpected in the room.. give it some more of your personality! Maybe remove the teal pillows and put in a dash of color nobody would expect! (Orange? Purple? of course the color should be in the same hue to match). Lovely house.

• Stacy Shelkop
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you so much Dana for your suggestions. I have removed all the clutter and symmetry in the LR, DR, Entry and on the Mantle. Currently in the process of adding the “unexpected” with some major art. Thanks again.

• Julie Schmooley
    4 years ago

Please post after pics! Couch looks great. I think those two black framed art pieces side by side over the couch would look wonderful. Mirror maybe in entry way?

• Dana Galka
    4 years ago

I think you have a great eye Stacy!

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH