SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_979792806

resources showing proper way to root prune (avocados and others)

j
4 years ago

Hi: I'm interested in knowing whether an avocado can be root pruned, and if so, how? I am also interested in learning how to properly root prune trees and other kinds of perennials. I've tried searching internet and videos, however, very few actual resources on root pruning technique, and the searches for repotting are frustrating with majority results being some poorly written mojo-jojo ad-driven sites and videos from factory articles**.

I have two goals: first, long story short, I have a sentimental avocado that was put into a pot way way too large a couple years ago, and, I want to put it into a smaller pot so it can be relocated in a couple years. Second, I do and will have a number of plants in containers, and would like to learn the technique so as you to keep them in the same size containers if possible, or, help keep them healthy if I will be up-potting. Now that I've written this, perhaps I should explore bonsai.. it is similar, I suppose, except on a slightly large scale (1-10 gal pots).

Thanks for your time!

** e.g. if you want to repot a plant, let me tell you how I'm going to do that. This article will explain exactly how to repot, so let's get started. Here's how you repot it. You repot the plant with the correct soil mixture. And there you go, that's how you do it, that's how you repot the plant. OMG.. wtf happened to the internet :(

Comments (3)