SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
emma_hutsebaut

Refinishing old table - Need help removing oil from wood

Emma Hutsebaut
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

Hey again!

Second post here. You might know me as the girl who rubbed an olive oil + white vinegar mix all over her dresser drawer and then came running here for help on how to fix this very grave mistake.

I'm here to tell you that that dresser wasn't my only victim, as my table didn't escape this terrible fate either that day.

So working on fixing that too. All is going well so far, and it's looking better than it did before, but there seems to be some deeply ingrained oil in the crevices where the planks meet that I can't get out.

This is the timeline:

-Original state when I just got it

-Olive oil + vinegar mix

-Sanded the table somewhat to get rid of the oil

-Oiled again with mineral oil (facepalm moment here for oiling it again.. it made the wood bright orange)

-After covering the table in mineral spirit and scrubbing with steel wool scrubbie

-After Scrubbing table with baking soda, white vinegar and fresh lemon (loving the wood right now)

-The oily darker stains that I can't get rid off... they feel 'wet' when I touch them and have a strong mineral spirit smell still.

-Tried sanding a small part of the oil stain

The oily stains have definitely gotten less dark the past few days, so maybe they'll just disappear with time. Or maybe the wood just got too saturated with the mineral spirit, which is now slowly evaporating? Any tips and knowledge would be appreciated!

As you could probably tell, the table had a lot of dark stains prior to me messing around with it. Any info on how to tackle these would be cool too. I'd like the table to look more even, because right now there's a very light side and a very dark splotchy side.

Thank you!! :)

-Emma

Comments (2)