SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nee_suero

I let my fingers do the walking and boy are they tired

suero
4 years ago

Since my son thought he caught Covid-19 while grocery shopping, and I am in the high risk group, I’ve decided to do my shopping online.

On a typical day, I might go to a half dozen stores, because some items are carried in only one store. For example, DH’s favorite cereal is only at one store, my favorite toothpaste is only at one store, my prescriptions are filled at another of the grocery stores, the best fish –expensive but worth it – is at the local gourmet shop, and then there’s wine and coffee at the wine merchant and local coffee shop.

But not in the Covid-19 days.

So I ventured into the online world. First, each site recommends that you pick a time for pickup or delivery (some have special car pickups, others only do delivery). Since I do the bulk of my shopping at Wegmans, I tried them first. They give you two dates. No slots available. Another location? No slots available. Any location within 15 miles – no slots available. Then I tried the place I use to fill in stuff that Wegmans doesn’t have. That store gives you a two week time period. No slots available. Then Instacart. Not only do they have no deliveries available, there is talk of their shoppers going out on strike. Next for the grocery with the toothpaste I like. Success! One slot available! 6 days in the future. I placed my order, and when it came time to pick it up, I got a phone call. About half the items on my list weren’t available, including milk and eggs.

I’ve figured out how to get a time slot at this chain. It does mean making my list 6 days in advance and specifying which items can be substituted for the ones on my list. And not expecting to get toilet paper or paper towels.

Comments (32)

• deegw
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Our main grocery store makes shopping appointments three days in advance. If you log on at 12 am, the newest day opens up and it's easy to get a slot.

Most of our stores are starting to catch up with the panic buying. I think limiting people to one pack of the most popular items has helped as well. I'm in the Denver metro.

• Fori
    4 years ago

Yikes!

We've looked at a few of the delivery services and not found any with available slots. So the spouse gets to venture forth every week or so. (It would not be necessary but the spouse thinks it is.) We're in the SF area, so one of the first counties to be closed down. Things are mostly in stock now. Our neighborhood "Nextdoor" has reports of local store stocking status and crowd levels which is amusing and informative.

• Related Discussions

My trees are tired of this weather! As well as I . How about you?

Q

Comments (52)
    Hi Mike and everyone, Been away awhile, but badly needed a Citrus Forum "fix" during this historic winter! When I checked in, the first post I saw was a "name this pest" sort of question, and I said "That's CLM!" Lol, when I first came to this forum, I didn't know what a kumquat was...or a perched water table. This is a great place.... The rosemary oil is great! I have a key lime that the spider mites just won't give up the ship though. Even so, their occasional attempts to re-appear are feeble at best :-). I love the rosemary oil aroma, and I'm not concerned about spraying it in the house during winter if that became necessary. If you remember, I tried never putting my trees outside and it's been working for me, so far. SO....More snow on the way! I always said what "sold" me on citrus was seeing a ripe kishu mandarin hanging on my own tree, in my own window with snowdrifts in the background. Wow, I was sold! And sounds like I'll be re-creating that image with a key lime on Monday... Regards, Mary
    ...See More

Boy, I'm tired!

Q

Comments (6)
    I hear you! Before we got our 10 acres, suburban gardening season was much shorter. Now, with property, it seems there is always more to do than I can keep up with. Besides gardens, which I have always done, I now have a blueberry patch and a new orchard + the mowing, wood splitting and other chores. Sometimes I am so busy with gardens and market that I barely have time or energy to preserve my own harvest! I really could use all the labor saving tips I can find. I can usually keep up with weeding until Blueberry harvest in July but once harvesting begins, I lose the war on weeds. This year, my garden ended early, and I just didn't have the energy to keep up with the bugs and weeds, so I just let the rest of it go. Fall becomes my favorite time of year -- when I can finally relax -- that is after tilling things under, planting garlic, chopping wood, mowing and sucking up leaves for mulch etc etc... By January I am usually getting ready to start seeds and begin the whole process over again.
    ...See More

Boy, do I feel lazy now!!

Q

Comments (2)
    Yeah, it's possible. We had a 95 year old admitted to our ICU with a broken leg ... he was hitching a halfbroke mule to a plow and it ran him down. I went in to get lab work, and the guy in that ICU space sure didn't look 95 to me. I'd have thought he was early 60s at the latest. The muscle testing and bone density scans put him at the average for men in their early 30s, and WAY ahead of almost anyone over 40. On testing, mnay of his children were well above average for their age groups (he had children scattered from 30s to 70s ... he had been quite a womanizer in his youth, and had buried a couple of wives). He drank in moderation, smoked an occasional pipe of home-grown tobacco, had a diet that would have killed a less active person (pure Southern salt and cholestreol), but he also had a great family, a doting wife in her mid 60s (they married when he was in his 50s and she in her 20s), farmed his own little farm, went to church weekly ... and was a vrey physically active person. He had just never slowe down because he thought he had to.
    ...See More

Finally I've LetGo and Told My Husband It's Now His Job

Q

Comments (1)
    Sounds to me like you have a handle on the situation as it is now. I personally would never have tried to discipline my steps, not my job.
    ...See More
  • chispa
    4 years ago

No eggs and milk? My 4 local markets have all had eggs and milk the past 2 week. Giving a general location might help. I'm in the suburbs of Los Angeles.

I think the markets are overwhelmed with online orders. Do you know someone who is going shopping that could pick up things for you? You could even pay for their time. They can drop off at your door and you can sanitize as needed. The groceries will be exposed to germs with whatever method you use.

• bbstx
    4 years ago

There are only 2 groceries in my little down that offer pickup. One has “no slots available for the next 7 days“ and that is the message whenever I check. The other has “no slots available for the next 3 days”. Both go out no further than 7 or 3 days respectively. However, I did discover that the one that has the 3 day time-frame, also cancels any orders that are not paid for by midnight of the day the order is started. I often wake up in the wee hours. If I go to the app, I can find a slot. Sometime between when I reserve and midnight of the day I started the reservation, I have to make my order and checkout. But I still can’t get milk or chicken!

Also our tiny very pricey eat-local, organic market will provide curbside pick up. I got chicken, steaks, and milk from them yesterday, all of which was unavailable at the supermarket. It was such a pleasant transaction, I think I’ll shop there more often.

• IdaClaire
    4 years ago

My elderly parents submitted an online order at Kroger and on the day of their allotted pickup received a message advising that $22 of their over $200 order would be ready for pickup. That wasn't even worth their time.

• Kitchenwitch111
    4 years ago

Here in NJ it's very difficult to get a pick-up order time slot at any store and delivery is even more unlikely! I've heard stories of people who have had luck getting a slot find that their order gets cancelled at the last minute or they get maybe 5 things on their list without any advance notice. I used to shop for groceries 2x a week, and now I'm going about every 2 weeks. Last time I went to the store at 7am -- there was plenty of stock and the store was cleaned overnight. There were a lot of people there but I was in and out in 1/2 hour. I'm going again tomorrow morning - wish me luck!

• pudgeder
    4 years ago

This morning, before 8 am, I dropped our pup off at the vet for her spay appointment. They met me at the curb and took her out of the crate that was in the back of my CRV.

I then went to the store, armed w/a homemade mask, gloves, & disinfectant wipes. Everything was clean, as far as I could tell. There weren't many people there. Most of the ones I did encounter were the people who fill the curbside pick up orders.

They had eggs, meats, and even toilet paper! TP was only the store brand, and in a mega pack, but we needed it. I've been trying to buy brown pinto beans for weeks (Even before all this started) and every place has been out. On a wild chance, I did check for them there and lo & behold they had them! The down side to that was they had ONE 20 lb bag. We won't need beans for a long, long time. LOL I'll package some up and share w/our adult kids.

My elderly parents live 5 hours away -- and I'm the nearest child. In a conversation w/my Mother, I discovered they'd been going out for frivolous items. (bedding plants) I came down on her pretty hard. I hope she'll forgive me someday. If something were to happen to either one of them NONE of us (5 kids) could go to help. In essence, they'd be alone, to die alone and to have to deal with the aftermath of the event (if either one survived) ALONE.

In all of that, I sent her a step by step guide on how to shop on line for her groceries. Hopefully, they'll get it figured out.

• Joaniepoanie
    4 years ago

Same here. Four chains and pickup is one week away. DD had the same experience in that she ordered $75 and $25 was available. We have senior hours in the a.m. but I have heard they are super crowded. DH and I went for a drive this afternoon and drove by several markets that were not that busy. So, he will go tomorrow afternoon. We hope to get enough for 10 days or more. Just heard a dr on TV say that we should all wear a mask now when we go to the store, pharmacy, etc.

• gsciencechick
    4 years ago

We've been doing online for awhile with Harris Teeter here in NC. Yes, it took awhile to set it up, but now re-ordering past items or favorites is easier. Once in awhile we'd get that we couldn't pick up the same day. Now we are scheduling almost a week out. So, I am putting in orders on Saturday 3/28 for this coming Saturday the 4th.

Last week's order was pretty good, but not TP, paper towels, yeast, ketchup or olive oil. But other than that, they had pretty much everything else. They are not allowed to substitute during this time. But when I went to pick it up, it turns out they gave my frozen tilapia away, so that does affect dinner plans this week. But overall, they are doing as best they can.

• 4kids4us
    4 years ago

I just had a crazy easy experience, my first time ever doing online grocery shopping for delivery. My college daughter stayed in her off campus apartment in San Diego (boy do I now regret that decision!). She does not have a car, but her roommate does. It wasn’t an issue before now - she just took Uber when necessary as that was cheaper than having a car out there. While she and her roommate have gone grocery shopping together, she has had a hard time finding certain basics, like chicken and eggs.

A week or so ago, I decided to look at Amazon/Whole Foods delivery. Last time I tried it, it would not let me select her address. It kept defaulting to my home address. On a whim, I gave it a try today and it worked. Not only that, but it allowed me a window of delivery just two hours later. I was able to put chicken and eggs in my cart, then she and I were texting back and forth over what other items she might want. I added everything else, then placed the order. Well, somehow, the chicken didn’t make it into my cart but I didn’t realize it. I was soooo bummed as that was the main thing she wanted.

Less than 90 mins after placing my order, the driver was at her apartment. Wow! About 10 minutes later, my daughter calls and says, “I thought you forgot the chicken. It’s here. And did you order me two dozen eggs? (No). Somehow her order got mixed up - she got chicken, 2 dozen (instead of one) eggs, a red pepper and lettuce that were not part of my order. The only thing missing that I did order was mango and cucumbers. So in the end, it worked out nicely for her, but I feel badly for the person missing the chicken and eggs.

Of course I decided to look into an order for myself....no delivery windows available in my East Coast suburb. I guess I got extremely lucky that on my first try, I was able to get a delivery for my daughter, who needs it more than I do.

i haven’t been to the grocery store in over a week, but have a long list. I’m going to give Trader Joe’s a try. They are taking the distancing seriously and only allowing a certain number in at a time and have a widely spaced line outside. I drove past in the early afternoon and only had about 10 people in line, I’m going to go tomorrow around the same time. I think most people go early, at least that’s what I’m hearing about our other grocery stores.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    4 years ago

Also our tiny very pricey eat-local, organic market will provide curbside pick up.

I have used Instacart to stock vacation homes and for sick friends and relatives. I've never used such a service here near home. My cleaning lady will shop for me, but she is stuck in Brazil RN; it might work for others of you?

BUT, as the person above noted, the small, high end specialty markets have all had curbside pickup and full selection (of food). They may be a good choice if you are shut out of the big chains.

• chispa
    4 years ago

I went to a big chain supermarket at 6 pm tonight and it was quite empty. No lines to get in or check out. The only thing they didn't have was toilet paper. They had no-brand dinky 3-packs of paper towels and you could only take one 3-pack. There were only 3 left on the shelf. I took one because I figured they looked thin enough to cut in half and use as TP, if necessary.

I asked the cashier about TP and she said they were getting some in, but didn't last long, so she suggested coming by at 8 am.

• robo (z6a)
    4 years ago

A lot of our local supermarkets are doing the first hour of the day for elderly, disabled and immunocompromised shoppers. My MIL has been a few times and says it's deserted at that hour.

We have been doing a mix of delivery and curbside pickup. It's busy but we book about a week ahead. A "loophole" in the system let shoppers book appointments weeks in advance and cancel closer to the date so people were hoarding spots. That loophole has now been closed.

For desperate gardeners, check out the local hardware stores. Mine is doing free delivery over $50. I bought a sandbox and sand for emmett and it came right to the curb. I'm letting it "age" in the driveway before I unpack.

• bbstx
    4 years ago

DH’s grandson is working as a stock boy in a grocery store while he is in college (it get’s him a wonderful company-sponsored scholarship). He told his mom that from the time they stock the toilet paper until it is gone has never been more than an hour.

DD had to go to Target yesterday to get something essential. She was appalled at the number of people just wandering the aisles. She was especially astounded at the groups of people who were in there like it was some social occasion. She got in, bought what she needed, and got out.

As soon as she got home, she discovered her refrigerator had croaked. That meant another trip out to buy a fridge. She is not a nervous-Nelly, but she is smart and cautious. Having to go out twice into stores just about did her in.

• schoolhouse_gwagain
    4 years ago

Just got back from the grocery awhile ago. Busy, but not crowded, quiet. Employee over the intercom kept reminding us to practice social distancing. At the deli counter there was a red taped line on the floor and a sign saying "Stay behind the line and tell the deli clerk what you want, then wait until she lays it on the counter before you approach. Stay six feet from other customers."

I knew what I wanted, so basically scurried down the aisles picking stuff up. At the check out, more lines and signs, "unload groceries here" (at end of conveyor belt), "wait until person in front of you pays and clears the checkout aisle". Also they have installed plexiglass between cashiers and customers.

No shortages of food items that I noticed.

• Springroz
    4 years ago

Our Target is like a giant sanctuary.....quiet, and I felt alone....saw about 3 people. For about a week, our Aldi was a zoo, and now, it is quiet, too. The cashier said it was like that all day, not just a lull. Kroger just has very little of anything on the shelves. I just go in, get my things and get out. Prices at Aldi are down.....

• chispa
    4 years ago

Gas prices are down here in CA ... unfortunately we aren't supposed to be driving around and for most of us it isn't something we can stockpile for later use!

• 3katz4me
    4 years ago

I think more people must be doing delivery or pickup. I went in person this morning and the stores were mostly vacant and well stocked.

• Joaniepoanie
    4 years ago

DH went to a smaller chain here yesterday afternoon and it was not crowded. He got everything on the list but said not many choices re milk and eggs. I heard senior hours around here are very busy.

• hhireno
    4 years ago

The division of labor in our marriage is that I do all the cooking and shopping, so my husband doesn't have much experience with those activities. He does stop and pick up the occasional item, like milk or bananas. But it’s time for restocking the oddball things like Tamari and fish sauce and the exact, fragrance-free soap I like, and finding those might be challenging to someone who hasn‘t shopped for them before. Particularly during these oddball times.

He’s going to the store for me so I’m writing the most detailed shopping list of my life. Usually I write an outline (broccoli, fish, apples) because I know how much I need or what kind I want. My list now includes what aisle he’ll find the items (if they're in stock), a description of the packaging (the brand is Wan Ja Shah and the lid is orange), and I’ve texted a photo of a few items to help identify them (the pump soap aisle has many, many options).

I am not making fun of him, or implying he’s incompetent, by providing such an overly detailed list. I’m hoping to make his experience as easy as possible.

ETA: He’s back and was very successful. He said the store was probably busier than normal for 7:45 am but not bad. He did make a few unauthorized purchases, like chips, but he earned them.

• Funkyart
    4 years ago

sorry I haven't read all the responses (I am on a very short break from work).. but I have been using instacard grocery delivery for well over a year since I no longer drive. The covid-19 restrictions have definitely made it challenging to get a delivery date (and to get all on my list).

What works best is-- build your list, and check in the early morning (7-10amish) --then I have seen deliver times of within 2 hr .. or more likely within 5 hr. Later in the day-- delivery dates tend to be 3-6 days ahead.

This is because they never know how many shoppers will check in each day-- or how many orders will be submitted.

Good luck!

suero thanked Funkyart
  • gsciencechick
    4 years ago

Don't forget about online farmers markets! Do you have any local farmers who are doing delivery or drop-off ? I placed an order with my online market and was able to get some of the meats and produce I normally get. There used to be a drop-off refrigerator at the campus loading dock, but they had to close it. So, now I have to go to a pharmacy, and they will come out and deliver your bags for pickup while maintaining distance.

Also, I emailed one of the farmers who is not on the online market but one of the general farmers market which is postponed, and he will have some things in next week. I'm looking for a pork butt/shoulder roast so DH can smoke or I can use in the crockpot so we can have BBQ and meats for tacos, etc. As long as you order an amount that is equal to the mileage, they will deliver for free.

Some farmers markets are still open and have rules to maintain safe social distance. The one near the airport is on gigantic acreage owned by the state and can separate farmers over the location. Others are limiting the # of customers who can go in a time.

ETA: article: farmers market online and delivery

• mtnrdredux_gw
    4 years ago

There were no delivery slots for 2 weeks out. I wondered if that might change at midnight. It did not, but I checked back at 1am and there were 2 slots. It's like the good old days trying to get concert tickets or a hot dinner reservation, only no fun at all.

• bbstx
    4 years ago

I have successfully used Instacart a couple of times. It was a life-saver when I got back from Spain last year with some sort of serious gastric distress. I’ve used them a couple more times, but it adds $20 - $30 to my bill: $10 for the Instacart fee + a tip.

During The Time of Corona, I have chosen to do curbside pick up instead of Instacart. This way my groceries go from the store to my car. With Instacart, they go from the store to someone else’s car then to my house. No one has been in my car but me and DH, so I’m a little more comfortable with that.

cran, that reminds me. I need to put tuna on my list. I’m down to my last 3 cans. I’m not sure I’d want 11 cans though! HA!

@Springroz, DD *had* to go to Target earlier in the week for something essential (formula or diapers). She was appalled at the wandering hoards. Her goal was to get in, get what she needed and get out. She said there were groups just moseying through the store looking at this, that, and the other (probably touching it too!)

• mtnrdredux_gw
    4 years ago

Hhireno, I created a grocery list like that for my housekeeper. It's surprising how much detail one needs! Mine was organized by aisle, too. The nice thing, even for me, is once you create it, its handy even to use yourself ...you just circle what you want and you don't have to think as much.

Curious why many of you are opting to send DH to the store. Given the widespread data about men being significantly more vulnerable, I am going solo. About kills my gallant, chivalrous DH.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/climate-environment/2020/03/19/coronavirus-kills-more-men-than-women/

• hhireno
    4 years ago

WaPo won’t let me read the article. I assume more men are smokers and that factors in?

I’m immunosuppressed so it’s too risky for me to go out in public. I like to grocery shop and miss doing it. I’d see items which would inspire meal ideas or I could make adjustments to meal plans based on what I did or didn’t find.

I have been home since 3/13. I do go out for walks and if I pass anyone, which is uncommon, I cross the street.

Before Times, I saw an Instacart shopper drop a bunch of broccoli on the floor. She picked it up and added it to her order. I’m not judging her, it just reminded me who knows what has happened to your produce before you buy it. 😬

• suero
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I've got to give a shout out to Harris Teeter. They seem to have their act together. When they are out of items on my list, I get a phone call to let me know and to suggest substitutes.

• bbstx
    4 years ago

That is fantastic! When the grocery here is out of items, I *might* get a text but the choices will be limited. And then there will be a LONG list of things that simply aren’t filled with no option to substitute anything else. For example: no lactose free milk last week. DH doesn’t have to have lactose free milk, he just prefers it. I had no option to change it to any other sort of milk.

• chispa
    4 years ago

My friend was out a few days ago at one of our local supermarkets and saw an Instacart shopper (2 person team) doing some shopping and she was not impressed with their process and attitude. Based on what she saw, she said she would not be using them again.

• gsciencechick
    4 years ago

Suero, we also use Harris Teeter and we were told they cannot do substitutions during this time. This could just be our local store. Previously, yes, they've been great, but I think they are just overwhelmed. Our order I placed last weekend will be ready today, and I will see what we get. We still have TP and some paper towels, but by next weekend we will need to find these.

Oh yeah, if you are looking for liquid hand soaps, I saw that Bath and Body works has them online, so I ordered.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    4 years ago

I've been sending friends scented liquid hand soap. some of which are half price at Wms Sonoma. Also sent some wonderful natural products from Milk & Honey