SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sjboege

How can I conceal unpainted wall exposed by replacing thermostat?

sjboege
4 years ago

I have two places where unpainted regions of walls are exposed. In one case, a replacement thermostat is smaller than the thermostat that was in place when the wall was painted (long before we owned the house). In another, plaster broke during the process of replacing an old, un-grounded electrical box. I'm wondering how I might conceal these areas.

I Googled escutcheons and mainly found plumbing parts. I Googled Access Panels and found things with doors. I'm considering cutting rectangles of 1/4" plywood and using a round-over bit on the edges. For the outlet, I'd cut a rectangle and for the thermostat, I'd just drill a hole. Them I would prime and paint it to match the trim in the room. But I'd rather buy something.

What other search terms should I try? How else might I address this?

I plan to replace the outlet cover. For that, I might buy a Brushed Brass Steel - 2 Toggle / 1 Duplex Wallplate and fill the two toggle slots with Toggle to Blank Switch Plate Fillers. Or a large, blank plate to which I have holes for the outlets added. How else might I address this?

Comments (4)