SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
germain_wong

Millwork shop that can mill doors for Hidden / Concealed Hinges

Germain Wong
4 years ago

Building a modern house in NJ is quite challenging, mindset of people are so set on going things the "traditional" way.... I really want hidden hinges.. Looked into Tectus (German made, TOO expensive at something like $150 PER hinge), then looked into Sugatsume (Japanese brand, priced lower at around $80 each). Both are 3 way adjustable and look really well-engineered.

The issue is, REEB, which is the mill shop my GC uses, refuses to use any of these. They only option they give is the SOSS (which I believe is not 3 way adjustable). The SOSS model 218 is only around $40 per hinge (about the same price as ball bearing hinges from Baldwin). The only catch is, they want $10k-12K for this upgrade, which I am having trouble processing because a regular hinge, let's say is $20, vs. $40 for the SOSS, the delta is $20, multiplied by total hinges required (80), the cost delta is $1,600.

My question is, is the installation of the SOSS hinges that much more labor intensive?

Second question -- does anyone know of a mill shop in NJ/NY that can do these hidden hinges? REEB doesn't seem to like / want to do them! (The door guy said, it's like asking Mercedes put a Toyota engine in the car -- which frankly doesn't even make sense)....

Any insights would be appreciated... Thanks!

Comments (16)

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert