SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mahatmacat1

Question for mongo: making closet doors?

mahatmacat1
16 years ago

Hi mongo,

I just wrote pharoah to ask about making cabinet doors because pharoah's doors are the most amazing things I've seen (different profile on the *inside* just for the heck of it--have you seen the kitchen?) but then I also remembered that you are a Master of All Trades, and maybe I could ask you...

We want to make our own doors for Ikea PAX closets; basically, they're just big Ikea kitchen cabinets. The hinges that come ready to fit into the closet boxes are Blum, and we could get a jig for the hinges.

But my big question: we have 4x8 pieces of 3/4" walnut plywood we want to use...we were going to do sliding doors, but now we want to do hinged doors (since we'll have several different configurations--long story).

Do we need to reinforce it with anything across the back? Should we make a frame of more walnut around the edges and put a cross-piece in the middle? I'm wondering if it will warp--although it's plywood, not solid... Or can I just cut a sheet to size, edge-band it and finish it and call it done? How would you do it? We want *simple* streamlined doors that almost make a solid wall--the boards are sequenced and numbered so we could possibly have that wonderful unitary-look.

Je vous remercie en avance for any advice/leads/caveats you can offer :)

Comments (30)