SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_793909529

Securing quartz countertop piece behind stove, plus backsplash seal

Stefan M
4 years ago

The quartz countertop (I assume it's quartz—just recently bought the house) piece behind my stove fell down behind the stove because I was storing my cutting boards back there, and I discovered that the only thing supporting the piece had been a narrow lip of wood secured to the wall with two small screws, plus a healthy slathering of silicone underneath the counter at each seam.

After removing the old silicone from the bottom and the grout/caulk (?) from each end of the piece, I installed metal brackets on the wall to support it properly, but now I need to secure the piece in place and seal the seams.

1) SECURE THE PIECE. With the brackets now supporting the weight, and with the snug fit of the countertop piece (especially when the stove is all the way back), it seems pretty secure as is. It's been just resting on the brackets (not attached in any way) for several months now and has been totally fine, including with the weight of the cutting boards. I'm finally getting around to completing the installation, so besides sealing the seams (see #2 below), is there anything else I should do to secure the piece in place? I was thinking of just putting some silicone on the top of each bracket to "glue" it in place as well as to raise it up a tiny bit and help make the seam more flush. (Aesthetically, I'd be fine with it even if it weren't made more flush, as the height difference is negligible and the seams are largely covered by the stove anyway.) Would the silicone on the brackets be fine? Should I secure it some additional way?

2) SEAL THE SEAMS [between the countertop pieces]. Some posts talk about epoxy and others talk about silicone. I'm not super concerned about making the seams invisible, as they're in a low visibility spot and seem big enough that invisible is out of the question anyway. What is the best thing to use there? And in terms of applying, is it just as simple as taping either side and caulk-gunning the epoxy or silicone into the seams?

Left Seam

Left Seam Closeup

Right Seam

Right Seam Closeup

3) RECAULK THE BACKSPLASH. I also need to reseal the seam between my backsplash and the counter. Not just on this section, but I'm going to do the whole thing, because the seam in a couple other spots has worn away or been damaged by water (especially behind the sink). Once I address securing/sealing the countertop piece, I plan to remove the caulk along the entire backsplash (seems like latex caulk with sand, given its rough finish but its pliability?), then caulk the whole thing with white silicone. Is that acceptable?

Worn Caulk Example

Water Damaged Caulk Example

Water Damaged Caulk Example Closeup

Comments (8)