SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kavish_latif

Help save my indoor potted Majesty Palm!!

Kavish Latif
4 years ago

Hello guys I have been struggling quite a bit to keep my indoor palm healthy but its not doing well.

I will try and go in as much detail as possible so I appreciate your patience. I am also attaching pics of the plant when i got it and its placement near the window and some recent pics i took.

I bought an 8 feet tall majesty palm in a very healthy condition. it was potted in a 12 inch pot. i did not repot it since it looked very healthy(no browning on the leaf/lush green tall leaves).

Over the period of next few months a leaf here and there started browning and i trimmed it away. i thought that was natural as i took the plant which was kept outside in a nursery(under a shade) put it next to an eastwards facing window. That window gets plenty of light. Over the next few months the leaves started turning brown and dying a bit faster and the density of healthy leaves became 1/2 of what i originally got.

I took the plant out of the pot and saw that it was crazy under potted. and all the roots were circling around the pot and were mostly dead. so i bought a bigger 18 inch pot and some miracle grow potting mix(the one that is specially made for palms and succulents). I trimmed the dead roots from all around the root ball and under it.. trimmed about 1-2 inch from each side and potted the plant, watered it heavily, and then placed it near the same window.

Its been 2 weeks now and i have not seen any improvement. The plant has lost about 70% of its leaves and the remaining ones dont look healthy at all. it almost feels like that the plant is slowly dying and i dont know what i can do to save it!

My apartment temperature usually stays about 72 degrees and i water the palm every week about 1/2 - 1 litre

Please help me with what i can do? I would really appreciate your guy's input!

Thanks,

Kavish

Comments (2)