SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
need2seegreen

Cutting advice - f. Religiosa

Hello:

a (presumed) squirrel knawed the bark off my little f. Religiosa. It was thin, weak, and leaned over. Then a week later, I came back to find it had broken in half. (I don't know if the squirrel did that. But it could have.)

I didn't know how long it had been like that but I re-cut the end - which looked like the tissue was still green in that thin little layer - which I hope means something - and put it in water.

I want to try to root the whole thing, but I have a feeling that I shouldn't.

Thoughts? opinions? Educated guesses?

Meanwhile, I have some perlite I need to sterilize. Does anyone know a good link for instructions? I searched but didn't find one. (I am not sure the garden center is open.)

The plan is to trim off the lowest 3 little branchlets, use rooting hormone (since this poor plant went through the ringer already), and then stabilize it with string in the center of a tomato cage, with the end in perlite in this empty container. I have a shady spot it can sit in. I wanted to use a clear container in hopes that I'll be able to see if roots will grow.

Should I shorten it, and if so, by how much? I can feel that inside I am resisting this for some reason, but if leaving it as is lessens my already low chances of success, then I should at least consider cutting it up more, right? Or, does it not make a difference?

It is rather a seat-of-the-pants operation over here. Well, first thing is I need to clean off my perlite. If anyone knows how to sterilize it, don't be shy! All suggestions appreciated!!

Comments (10)