SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
karen_pease82

Ficus religiosa vs. Ficus carica?

Karen Pease
6 years ago

This one is a bit more of an opinion issue (but would be nice to have some experience from fig growers).

For a large greenhouse in the planning stages (designed to mix food cultivation with public space) which I'm involved with, I've raised the possibility both of cultivating figs (aka, F. carica), and - unrelated - of the possibility of a "Bodhi tree" (properly F. religiosa, ideally of proper lineage back to the original Bodhi tree... have not yet attempted to track down a source), which would be appealing not for food (obviously), but for meditation. We'll ignore for now the fact that I seriously doubt we'd be able to find and import one of a reasonable size (although it is said to be fast growing). The two issues - fruit and meditation - run contrary to each other, as F. religiosa fruit isn't eaten. The thought occurred to me of grafting... but how well would F. carica likely graft to F. religiosa? And - on the opinion front - would that be "ruining" F. religiosa if it had some branches producing figs? Would it be best to just "cheat" on the meditation front, plant an F. carica, and go with the broader story of "Siddhartha Gautama meditated under a fig tree" and glance over that it was a different species of fig?

Complicating it even further, when I was looking up companies in the EU that could supply large fig trees, I found one that had some F. carica, but not F. religiosa. But instead they had some lovely gnarly sculpted F. microcarpa (a banyan species) that look like what most people think of when they think of a fig to meditate under. But they produce neither desirable fruit, *nor* are the right species!
Thoughts?

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Industry Leading Landscape Contractors in Franklin County, OH