SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
plllog

Cornmeal question

plllog
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

I promised to make cornpone for my mother awhile ago, but I wasn't feeling well enough to pursue it. There wasn't any coarse cornmeal at the stores where I shop (weird). I figured I'd just mill my own, and planned a meal around it, and the fresher the better, right? But I went to get the corn out of the pantry, and i don't have any dent corn (I don't usually keep it in large quantities, but I thought there might be enough left for the dinner)! There's popcorn, but I think it's not the right thing for the cornpone.

It's not like I can just buy some kind of rustic bread to go with the meal instead (I'm not chasing from store to store to find the right kind of bread, or any bread at all on a weekend), and there's not enough time to bake my own. It occurred to me that the meal would be fine with pan cornbread, but I needed a good recipe, so found one that Arley posted 10 years ago which sounds good.

This is all cornmeal with no sweetening, which is what we mean when we say cornbread (eggs, buttermilk, baking soda, cornmeal, salt), but Arley stressed that the cornmeal should be fresh. I have a box of fine cornmeal which has been in my baking drawer unopened for at least a year. I opened it this morning and it doesn't smell rancid. I tasted it and it didn't taste off in any way.

Do you think it'll be okay? I really don't want to replan the dinner, and don't really have time to experient, but if the consensus is that it won't taste good, I can punt, help the economy and order in.

Thanks!

Comments (23)

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!