SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
texas_gem

Spring cleaning

Texas_Gem
4 years ago

Time for a break from breaking news!!
Anyone planning any deep spring cleaning?
I have been planning on spending spring break cleaning out my attic since December and this week is spring break so...I've been diving right in, current issues be darned!
My home is my childhood home that we initially moved into a decade ago to care for, but ended up purchasing from my parents.
When we moved in to take care of it, most of my parents things were still here since they were moving in temporarily with my grandfather to care for him as he had Alzheimer's.
As such, certain parts of the house, particularly areas like the attic and basement never really fully got "moved out" of their things and mine "moved in" and sorted.
My parents built this home in 1993. Holy cow is there a LOT of accumulation after 27 years!!
My parents had the biggest pile, I had my dad come check it and a lot of it has gone in the trash. Wedding cards, old camping gear, skis and accoutrements. They haven't been skiing or backpacking in over 20 years and they are now at an age/ability level that they don't plan on doing so now. He has asked if I will burn the old documents, tax returns, bank statements, cancelled checks, etc. There are a few boxes of that alone!
My brother has a sizeable pile as well. I'm moving his pile out to the shop and he is supposed to come by next week to check it out but I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of his goes in the trash.
I have a big pile of my own things that I've sorted and most of it has gone in the dumpster. Things like my preschool papers, first drawings and such, childhood costumes, high school art drawings, old worn toys my kids wouldn't be interested in.
I'm getting to the more questionable stuff. At least it seems questionable for me.
I have no problem throwing broken, worn things away. Or throwing used, 30+ year old papers in the trash. I'm struggling slightly more with things like my collection of porcelain dolls or the cabbage patch dolls, the old Pyrex and Corelle dishes, etc.
I don't collect them anymore, I doubt my kids will care about them, but filling a landfill with them seems...I don't know...wasteful?? Bad for the planet?? I'm not even sure I can verbalize exactly what I'm feeling.
It's the same issue I dealt with a few months ago with the old bedding and towels and I got very useful suggestions here about giving THOSE items to animal rescues.
Anyone have any suggestions about what to do with old toys and "collectibles" besides sending them to the trash?
I'm already giving the old stuffed animals to my dogs to use as chew toys but somehow, I just don't think the porcelain will be the same! Lol
I had a surgical technique planned for my house.
My plan was to start at the farthest points, attic and basement, and work my way towards the center of the house. That way by the time I got to the most frequently used areas like the kitchen, I would be more brutal. "I haven't used you in a month? Your gone!!!"
So how about you?
Anyone else have any spring cleaning plans? What areas are you targeting?

Comments (15)