SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kittymoonbeam

Is anyone planting a victory garden this year

kittymoonbeam
4 years ago

I have carrots, lettuce, spinach, peas, some tomato vines from last year.....want to plant more veggies. Seems like the right thing to do.

Comments (33)

• Kathsgrdn
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

I already had plans to make a bigger garden so I could have more fresh veggies. I'm glad I did. I have 4 big planters ready to go out on the concrete patio out back. Waiting to feel better and the rain to stop. The only thing I planted was peas before I got sick and some seed starts.

I think I might buy my compost online and have it delivered if I can find some.

kittymoonbeam thanked Kathsgrdn
  • cooper8828
    4 years ago

I did order some huge galvanized water troughs to use as planters (well before all this started). This weekend's project will be to fill them and start some seeds. I'm doing carrots, bell peppers, okra, beans, zucchini, and tomatoes. I already have oregano, thyme, rosemary, etc in a separate herb bed.

kittymoonbeam thanked cooper8828
  • Related Discussions

Victory Gardens

Q

Comments (2)
    Hi there. I have a community garden plot at the Arbutus Victory Garden in Vancouver. The garden is on unused City property beside a railway line. People have been gardening there for years, since one neighbourhood resident started a Victory garden there. Good luck with your project. Here is a link that might be useful: Vancouver Community Garden Report
    ...See More

PBS Victory Garden

Q

Comments (64)
    I have to add my little voice to the "I miss the old Victory Garden" song. It's been some time since it's been worth watching. Jamie Durie is so annoying I want to bash him with a shovel. I think it's been a couple of years since they even made a new show - they just recycle the same boring old things over and over. I didn't like the previous host much either - too fat & effeminate (he couldn't possibly have spent THAT much time gardening!). I don't know the name of the next previous host, but his were the last of the worth-watching Victory Garden shows, in my opinion. With his overalls and hillbilly beard, he looked like you couldn't get him OUT of the garden.
    ...See More

Michelle Obama is planting a Victory Garden!

Q

Comments (10)
    Lilacs, I was thrilled to see this too! I wish EVERYONE would take a page out of her book and plant SOMETHING, anything. A tomato in a pot on a balcony. A small kitchen garden. We, as Americans, have got to take back responsibility for our health and quit feeding the Agro-Industrial machine (sorry, can't think of the real term for the beasts) which is so horribly undermining our health with their overly processed foods. 'The Omnivore's Delimma' should be required reading for anyone interested in learning where their food comes from. And, Lilacs, ignore the naysayers. Obama will never be able to do anything right in their eyes. But, most of the country support him and what he is trying to do. And, this response is not intended to start a political discussion here on the President. It was meant to keep Lilacs from feeling like she was getting jumped on. Peace?
    ...See More

Tony's Victory Garden - Staten Island, NY

Q

Comments (1)
    Post some photos if you can Tony. Dave
    ...See More
  • maifleur03
    4 years ago

Be aware that some seed distribution companies are receiving more than normal orders. Some packets have more seeds than a family can use. You might ask your neighbor if they could use part of your package.

I find that some of the cheaper brands that few recognize also have smaller numbers of seeds. Better for a small garden.

kittymoonbeam thanked maifleur03
  • Adella Bedella
    4 years ago

I have seeds, but the darn rabbits eat a lot of what I plant. I've been to the nursery a couple of times and just grabbed a few plants instead of being patient with the seeds. I put the tomatoes in pots a couple of weeks ago. I finished planting the stuff I bought last week today. It's not much... a couple of cucumber plants, zucchini and yellow squash and a couple of bell peppers. I have a lot of flowers and really don't have much room to plant much else. I think I can sneak some watermelon in my front flower bed. I just need to find a wire basket to put over the top.

kittymoonbeam thanked Adella Bedella
  • Elmer J Fudd
    4 years ago

No. Between my wife and I, there are 4 brown thumbs in the house. We do as little as possible.

kittymoonbeam thanked Elmer J Fudd
  • DawnInCal
    4 years ago

I bought beet seeds a few months ago and I'm going to plant those in a pot soon, but that's only because I want fresh beet greens and the stores never have them. It'll be a short garden project. Once I get a couple of servings of beet greens, I'll be done.

kittymoonbeam thanked DawnInCal
  • Marilyn Sue McClintock
    4 years ago

Yes, I have a garden each year and this year it might be bigger, it depends on how things are going how big it will be. I have a lot of space for a very large one. I don't usually plant till May. I already have quite a few seeds on hand.

Sue in Central Indiana

kittymoonbeam thanked Marilyn Sue McClintock
  • Uptown Gal
    4 years ago

That would be at least 2 months away here....sure hope it's possible...be

satisfied if I can just have my usual flowers.

kittymoonbeam thanked Uptown Gal
  • Annie Deighnaugh
    4 years ago

I would like to, but it's so much work mainly because we haven't had a garden in years, and in order to make one now, we'd have to do high deer fencing with a gate to keep the critters out...so there'd be a lot of work to be done before we could even start planting.

kittymoonbeam thanked Annie Deighnaugh
  • OutsidePlaying
    4 years ago

I will have my usual garden. I already have my seeds started and have lettuces coming up in the ground. The tomatoes (several varieties) and peppers are already about 4” high. I also tried some purple basil from free seed I received and it’s doing good. I have some other veggies I will start in the ground once it’s a little warmer...squash, zucchini and peas mostly. All the veggies are within a deer fence.

kittymoonbeam thanked OutsidePlaying
  • marilyn_c
    4 years ago

Not a garden, but I would like to plant some Sugar Baby watermelons....if I can figure out how to keep the rabbits out of them.

kittymoonbeam thanked marilyn_c
  • caflowerluver
    4 years ago

We are already eating leaf lettuce from our garden that was planted in winter. Going to plant radish, basil, spinach, and more leaf lettuce seeds soon. And when we can do some shopping again, look for tomato plants. We usually plant those end of March beginning of April.

kittymoonbeam thanked caflowerluver
  • CA Kate z9
    4 years ago

I have leaf lettuce from a February planting that will go on until it gets too hot. I also threw in several old packages of various seeds..... which all seem to have been viable. Good thing they're planted in a really BIG pot.

I cleaned out a few of my really big pots planning on refilling them with new soil. I am now reluctant to go out to buy new soil. The above idea of ordering some inline gives me hope.

kittymoonbeam thanked CA Kate z9
  • happy2b…gw
    4 years ago

I was thinking about the vegetable garden this morning as I cleaned up some beds outside. I wonder if it will be difficult to buy vegetable plants at the nurseries. I may pick up some seeds when/if I go out.

kittymoonbeam thanked happy2b…gw
  • nancy_in_venice_ca Sunset 24 z10
    4 years ago

Waiting for the lettuce seeds that I ordered to arrive.

With the lack of sun on the property -- small lots, big trees, two-story homes -- I will be experimenting with planting in pots. Maybe the balcony will have sufficient sun to work.

kittymoonbeam thanked nancy_in_venice_ca Sunset 24 z10
  • rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    4 years ago

We've been eating sugar snap peas, spinach, beet greens, radishes, and lots of baby mixed lettuces for quite awhile. Our little garden isn't so little anymore. We plant for 5 people but always have lots to share with the neighborhood.

In a couple of weeks, we will sow the warm season veggie seeds and plant the tomatoes I've been growing under lights for three months. They are practically ready to flower!

I used to have a rabbit problem but it appears that the coyote and fox populations have taken care of that.

kittymoonbeam thanked rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
  • share_oh
    4 years ago

Yes we were already planning a bigger garden this year before all this happened. My dh was badly injured last year so the garden work was left all to me and I failed miserably! Couldn't keep up with the weeds. So this year we are looking into rain gutter gardening as well as grow bags. I'm so excited about it! Best part will be, no weeds!

One of our at home activities will be planning everything out this weekend. I've already started my tomato and pepper seeds and getting ready to start more. We always share with friends and neighbors if we have extras. Last year was slim pickins to share with anyone. :(

kittymoonbeam thanked share_oh
  • Lynda (Zn9b/23 - Central CA Coast)
    4 years ago

My parent were both in England during WW2 and always talked about the food shortages. We grow 99% of our produce in our coastal CA garden. Our objective was always that we liked having fresh produce, but given everything going on I am glad to produce my own food (and wine).

kittymoonbeam thanked Lynda (Zn9b/23 - Central CA Coast)
  • CA Kate z9
    4 years ago

share_o, pray tell what is gutter gardening?

kittymoonbeam thanked CA Kate z9
  • Elmer J Fudd
    4 years ago

Google the phrase, you'll find lots of info

kittymoonbeam thanked Elmer J Fudd
  • Adella Bedella
    4 years ago

I didn't mention, but I have basic herbs and things in pots too. Winter was pretty mild this year. I still have my basil from last year. It usually reseeds so I'll probably have more coming up shortly. I learned on here to get the bundles of green onions in the produce section and only use the top green part. Plant the bottom and just pick it as it regrows. The asparagus is producing right now. The mint is in pots because it is so aggressive. It's early this year because of the mild winter. The cilantro is bolting because it's getting warm It usually reseeds itself so all I have to do is dig it up in the winter and replant where I want it. I have a sweet potato that is putting out shoots. I put it in a cup and will get starts off of it. I may or may nor plant it depending on the situation this summer. If my access to flowers is limited, I'm filling in with sweet potatoes.

kittymoonbeam thanked Adella Bedella
  • Lars
    4 years ago

I don't grow vegetables in my yard (except for tomatoes), but I do have a lot of fruit trees, and I have herbs going all year. I probably should plant some lettuce, now that you mention it, but it does better here in the winter.

kittymoonbeam thanked Lars
  • Nick (9b) Modesto Area
    4 years ago

My backyard has 40 different varieties of fruit trees, peaches, nectarines, plums, plouts, pluerry, mandarins, oranges, mulberry, pomegranate, avocados. I have a dozen varieties of blueberries, 3 grapes, 10 varieties of strawberries, 8 types of raspberries. I'm growing 8 different heirloom tomatoes, 10 varieties of peppers most are hot peppers, herbs.

I'm heading to a local nursery to see what they have with other vegetables so I can plant 6-10 varieties as well. I have seeds but I'd rather get an early start with the plants if they are available. I wasn't planning on the vegetables this year until this all happened.

Most everything is in raised beds, air pots, half wine barrels , large clay pots with the exception of 6 trees.

kittymoonbeam thanked Nick (9b) Modesto Area
  • Nick (9b) Modesto Area
    4 years ago

I was able to find 2 types of cucumbers, basil, red lettuce. So ill plant from seed my other veggies.

My son in law just got some great news. There is a 1/4 acre empty lot behind his property that the land owner said he can use for free. So we are going to till it and plant fruit trees and year around vegetables. So it looks like our families will be self sustained and his dad has a few cattle, goats and chickens on his 5 acres nearby.

• Lynda (Zn9b/23 - Central CA Coast)
    4 years ago

So cool to hear what others are doing. Perhaps a silver lining in all of this, is that more of us will produce our own food.

We are on a 1/4 acre and have ~35 fruit trees, 5 grape vines, 3 clusters of bananas, blackberries, Ollalie berries, and boysen berries. All of these are in the ground. In pots we have 12 blueberry bushes, raspberries and potatoes. In our raised beds we have lettuce, chard, bok choy, snow peas, grean beans, onions, and various herbs. In our green house we have 3 pineapples, ginger, tomato and peppers. We make the most of our turf, using both our front and back yards.

kittymoonbeam thanked Lynda (Zn9b/23 - Central CA Coast)
  • Kathsgrdn
    4 years ago

I did order some garden soil online so I could at least start some carrots and onions in one of my big containers. I also bought some seeds for a couple varieties of winter squash, one that stores for up to six months. I was looking at potatoes but they sell too many for my little garden. I don't want to waste. I also thought about sweet potatoes, but again they sell too many plants for just my little garden.

I also bought some seeds to grow alfalfa sprouts. I have one of those sprout kits from years ago in my cabinet and for some reason haven't used it in years. Every time I see it up there I think how great it would be to put them on a sandwich but then I forget to buy more seeds.

kittymoonbeam thanked Kathsgrdn
  • maifleur03
    4 years ago

I hate being a Debbie Downer but I would caution about planting anything like fruit trees on land that is not owned by yourself. If the ownership could change hands all of your effort would be lost. With this virus there is nothing to say that any of us will be alive at the end of the year much less when those trees start bearing.

• maifleur03
    4 years ago

Kathsgrdn and others unless you have a large area to plant you cannot grow enough potatoes to provide more than a few meals. If you have any potatoes that have sprouts you can plant those, fertilize heavily and hope. I have a couple of volunteer potatoes that I did not dig deep enough to harvest all of them. The original planting was 5 years ago.

• Nick (9b) Modesto Area
    4 years ago

I just finished planting seeds from 2 types of green beans, black eyed peas, zucchini, another type of cucumber, cilantro, and some other herbs. Once May hits i will be loaded with berries, peaches and nectarines. Then I have fruit throughout the rest of the year. Next spring I will also have plenty of Mandarins to get me through as I has 11 varieties plus 3 orange varieties.

• kittymoonbeam
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I was in the farm supply. They were talking about possible restrictions of people coming in to work on crops. Hard to guess the future but perhaps growing our own favorite veggies would be a good idea then.

• Olychick
    4 years ago

I haven't planted a veggie garden for years because our farmer's market is extraordinary. I can get way more than I could grow and when shopping for just one, it's quite affordable. More affordable that all I would need to grow my own. Plus, it hurts my body too much.

That said, I bought some packages of seeds yesterday and will plant peas and pole beans in my large pots, carrots in another container and greens everywhere. Just in case. I also bought seed potatoes so I can show my grandson how fun it is to grow potatoes. Either in old tires I have in the garage or in 5 gallon buckets that I saw on youtube.

kittymoonbeam thanked Olychick
  • Jamie
    4 years ago

We are planting our regular garden. We grow year-round inside and outside. It took a bit to work everything out and figure out what we could and could not overwinter, but it's all going well now. I didn't can tomatoes last year, but I had already made plans to do that this year and we will be planting some extra tomatoes for that purpose.

kittymoonbeam thanked Jamie