OT.....Hunker Down American......where are you ?

yoyobon_gw

I'm here in the southern tier of New York State....yes, that would be the state with all the cases of the virus. We are self- isolating except for food or medicine....and ever those could be delivered if I make arrangements.

New York strong !!

Hang in there friends.

We can do this.

SaveComment192Like4
Comments (192)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
yoyobon_gw

I didn't mean to eliminate all those not in the US, by the time I realized my error I can no longer edit ! Mea culpa !!

1 Like Save    
carolyn_ky

I'm just home in Louisville, KY, from a week at Perdido Beach near Pensacola, FL, where they have not had any cases of the virus. My two best friends from high school, a younger driver-friend of one of them, and I had a really good time mostly talking to each other, sitting on the condo balcony overlooking the beach and ocean, and eating seafood. It's the most relaxing vacation I've ever had.

Here at home, public venues are closed--including the library. It's pretty eerie driving past empty shopping centers and with only drive-through restaurants open. i went to the Post Office to pick up my held mail this morning. It was open but had all its doors propped open so you don't have to touch them, and the clerks were wearing plastic gloves. Then I went to the grocery where there was very little on the shelves. They seemed to have plenty of fresh produce, bread, and milk but empty shelves where staples should be, not much meat, and almost no frozen meals. No toilet paper, of course. What are people doing with all those huge packages of TP? There was a joke on Facebook saying that the next epidemic would involve diarrhea and people would buy up all the nasal spray.

We have 47 reported cases in KY, with two deaths. Maybe if people are serious about staying in and careful to wash their hands, we can slow the spread and get past this.

1 Like Save    
dedtired

Hi friends. It’s been awhile since I posted here regularly. Now that I’m home more, I will probably be back. I live outside of Philadelphia. Right now I am social distancing and dreading an order to shelter in place. The number of cases of Covid 19 is growing around my county. I go to the grocery store as needed and pick up prescriptions. My biggest worry is my very, very elderly mothers who lives in her own nearby. I am there every day but I don’t know what I will do if she runs into a problem.

Book club is scheduled at my house next week but that will be called off. We are reading The Water Dancer by Ta-Nehisi Coates. I’m more than halfway through and I think it’s excellent. May have to figure out a way to have a virtual meeting!

Going out for walks is saving my sanity plus chatting with neighbors at a great distance. Best of luck to you all. Stay strong and be smart.

Save    
annpanagain

I live in a suburb of Perth in Western Australia, the most isolated city in the world! So far, only people who are self-isolating are doing it for a good reason. The cases that have appeared so far have been from overseas or contact with someone from overseas. As a result, the port and airport borders have been closed for entry excepting for citizens and permanent residents like me.

Schools are still open as the children are safer in a controlled situation and the many parents who are service workers can't be spared to home school them.

Life is pretty much as normal apart from hand sanitizers being put out in shops and offices for public use and some shortages from panic buying. At present there is a run on freezers, bread makers and equipment for working from home, apparently.

On the social side...Restaurants are turning to home delivery as they can't cater for crowds now and weddings, celebrations etc. are being affected. Sports are played without any attending public.

The retirement village where I live would be fine if I had to stay indoors. I am on a street and have a private garden at the back. At present I go to the library and shops but I noticed today that the supermarket had marking to indicate the metre distance that we have been advised to allow between patrons in a queue.

Yes, life is almost normal!

1 Like Save    
yoyobon_gw

Needless to say we in New York State have been directed to stay in our homes . A state of emergency has been declared by our Governor as well as by all local counties. Travel is restricted to an " only as necessary" basis. Went to the grocery for a few items yesterday and there were such odd shortages.....no paper products or sanitizing products at all, just vast empty shelves. Yet, the meats had been restocked where three days ago there were reports of cases being emptied out. Most groceries are now offering " elderly shoppers only" the first hour of business, though I'm not sure what that gains since so many show up early and line up closer than the social distancing allows. There are two confirmed cases of Covid-19 in our county now. Pretty much all businesses have shut down.

Save    
annpanagain

Yoyobon, the shortages I have noticed are sugar and flour. If they are in stock only one each of those items can be taken as well as some other basics.

I heard that a young woman asked why anyone would need flour! Obviously used to take-aways only!

"Kindness to others." is being promoted, with stories being told to illustrate that. It helps to offset some of the nastiness being displayed. I liked the story of the school class who made cards for the workers at their local supermarket to show their appreciation.

Save    
yoyobon_gw

Because of the statewide shut downs and shelter-at-home directives the restaurants have turned to making packaged takeout dinners to order and pickup. Most also offer free packaged lunches for school children who relied on school lunches and are what is called " food insecure". It is heart-warming to see all the efforts being made to meet the children's needs in every way possible.

Save    
msmeow

I work in Orlando, FL and live in a nearby town, Winter Garden. I work for a locally-owned hotel chain and so far all eight of our properties are still open, though the vast majority of our associates are not working, and the central office people (which is what I am) are reduced from 40 hours per week to 24.

Some sit-down restaurants are still open, but have been asked to move the tables 10 feet apart. Grocery stores are the same as everywhere - out of many things. DH & I need to make a run this evening for some food.

On a happy note, some of our housekeeping staff have been employed to deep-clean Orange County Schools, so they have some income coming in. And we were able to buy up to 4 rolls of TP from the company. :)

Donna

Save    
yoyobon_gw

As of Sunday night New York State will be on lock down.

Save    
sheri_z6

I'm in central Connecticut and we're pretty much in the same boat as Yoyobon. Gatherings of over 10 people have been forbidden, schools are closed, restaurants are take-out or delivery only, and the supermarket shelves are bare of TP, paper towels, kleenex, and cleaning stuff. And forget hand sanitizer. I was in line at Target over a week ago (before things really got serious) and the woman in line behind me offered the kid doing the check out $20 for his less than quarter-full bottle of Purell.

My husband is a planner by nature, so we did a lot of prep before the virus reached the East Coast. I'm grateful to be in fairly good shape food and paper goods-wise. I'm still doing grocery and CVS runs for my 80+ year old Mom & stepdad. Initially they both thought it was ridiculous they couldn't go out themselves, but as I'm under 60 and they're well over 80, there's no need to take that risk. As the number of cases in CT has risen, they're happy to stay put (thank goodness!), On the other side of the equation, our son is home from college and just found out yesterday he'll be doing the rest of the semester from home. He certainly understands, but he is not a happy camper. And in the midst of all this crazy, my daughter just bought a house. She's working from home up in MA and is very happy to have more than just work and corona virus to think about.

Save    
kathy_t

I'm right in the middle of the Midwest - Columbia, Missouri - aka "flyover country" to many East and West Coast folks. We kind of like it that way, and truly the virus has been slower reaching us. Our first confirmed was just three days ago, on Tuesday. Then the patient, a woman in her sixties who'd recently returned from abroad, died on Wednesday. That was kind of a shocker, an eye-opener to be sure. We have strong compliance with the nationwide social distancing policy.

One thing I'd like to say is that I am amazed at how swiftly the US, a geographically huge country, has been able to shut down, and thus far, it has been totally voluntary. Businesses will be losing huge amounts of income, and yet they all seem to be doing what they can for the greater good. I'm very pleased to see this, after so many months of divisiveness in this country.

1 Like Save    
yoyobon_gw

Tough times call for tough folks and Americans are surely that.

In every situation we've put aside differences to pull together......person to person, community by community.

As with 9/11 when the first responders were the heroes.....today every medical personnel is beyond heroic in the face of this crisis.

Save    
vee_new

Here in W Gloucestershire and in fact the whole of England and Wales the Govt has announced the total closure of clubs, pubs, theatres, museums, gyms etc as of tonight. I think they hoped to keep them open with just a few clients but quite a lot of younger people seem to think the advice doesn't concern them so the much stricter regs have been introduced.

Schools and libraries have closed from today, with no idea when they may reopen, 'though few may stay open to care for the children of key workers. Our younger son who is disabled attends a Day Centre which hopes to stay open, but it will depend on availability of staff. If he has to stay at home I think he will have to be put on gardening fatigues . . .if it ever stops raining for long enough!

DH tried to go shopping at the time designated for senior shoppers only to be met by a scrum of people of all ages acting as though the end of the World was nigh. Although if it really was nigh there would be no point buying groceries, as surely praying would be more beneficial. He also learnt from a friend at the checkout that people are going crazy and buying bigger fridges and freezers, even putting them in their living rooms. Somewhere to stash their piles of unnecessary shopping?

Sheri, our daughter and S-in-Law have just bought their first 'proper' house after moving from London to Manchester (now the centre of the Universe apparently) As she has been managing a bar/restaurant and is now temporally jobless she will find plenty to keep her busy in her new place. After years of living in flats she is looking forward to going upstairs to bed.

At the moment this area is virus-free (DV) but it only takes a couple of returners from abroad etc to alter the stats.

Keep well everyone.

1 Like Save    
astrokath

Here in South Australia, we are being asked to use social distancing (keeping 1.5m apart) but nothing has yet been ordered closed. The Federal Government has decided to keep schools open, but our borders have been closed. Tasmania has separately closed its borders even to other Australians.

The silliest thing here is the shopping. Large electrical stores have sold out of freezers and apparently breadmakers. I went shopping yesterday to two supermarkets, and neither had toilet paper, methylated spirits, flour or pasta (luckily I didn't need any of those). The first also had no mince nor any kind of fresh chicken (whole, breasts, thighs - nothing), and the second had very little cereal or packets of biscuits.

Both however had lots of fresh and frozen produce. Apparently, shopping levels are what would be expected for a country with twice our population.

Save    
Rosefolly

Keep well, everyone!

We live in Santa Clara County which has the highest number of cases in California, though New York State and Washington State are higher yet. We are also on a shelter-in-place order, no end date in sight. The order started here but has extended to the entire state. We are allowed to go to the grocery store, bank, drug store, or for medical appointments, but no social activities. Even the courthouse is closed. I canceled my upcoming dental appointment (non-emergency) even though it is permitted. It seemed like a bad idea to me. We are encouraged to walk daily for exercise, and do, but must keep our distance from people we meet.

We spent a couple of days buying supplies to keep us home without needed to shop. Lots of canned good, lots of beans and rice, and a freezer full of meat, fish, and a few prepared meals. Tom has a couple of his pies in there. It's not a large freezer but it helps a lot. We'll run out of milk, but we bought soy milk for the baby. I have canned condensed milk for my coffee, and calcium pills. I'm of the age when I need to pay attention to that.

I listed my activities on the thread about reading in the pandemic and I won't repeat them here, but in addition I watch the baby a couple hours a day. His mother is working remotely and needs some help with that.

Save    
yoyobon_gw

Rosefolly.....NY will be on lockdown but we are allowed to send one person to get any grocery items needed. I'm not a one to have to always be on the go so this is not too different than my ordinary activites. I have books , am knitting socks, have yarn for my loom and wool for rug hooking. The worst part of the lockdown will be cancelling my hair appt. :0)

4 Likes Save    
annpanagain

Rosefolly, tomatoes don't seem to like the same soil in the second year of planting. I had a climbing vine of small cocktail tomatoes once that yielded over 200 fruit and nothing the next year. I was told that the soil had been leached of nourishment.

Re hand sanitizer. A well known sportsman here has changed his factory from making gin to sanitizer to help out. Others are doing something similar.

We normally get a lot of goods from China but now the traffic is in reverse! The people who normally send the highly profitable baby formula to China are sending other items as well.

Our Village Manager has closed her office to casual drop-ins. We now have to phone or email her to arrange a meeting.

I am getting emails from all kinds of companies about how they are dealing with hygienic practices. I am grimly waiting for scammers to take advantage as I am sure they will. It will make a change from the usual phone calls!

Save    
annpanagain

Yoyobon, love the pix! I have been putting off going for my usual trim and took to my fringe with the hairdresser scissors that are part of my late husband's beard kit! Usually once my fringe hits the top of my glasses, I get an appointment but I am being reluctant this time.

Save    
yoyobon_gw

As of today all such services in NY have been ordered to shut down. Looks like I will be doing my own styling for a while. And my hair style requires a bit of angulation which will be a challenge toward the back !

Save    
annpanagain

Yoyobon, would you be able to find a home-service hairdresser?

Save    
yoyobon_gw

No, lockdown means stay put. And no person to person contact. Last week the local hairdressers and barbers were offering appts. where there is only one stylist and one customer in the shop at a time........now they are ordered to close by 8pm tonight for lockdown.

Save    
yoyobon_gw

Lol......A friend in France sent this :

2 Likes Save    
yoyobon_gw

Translation : I'm telling you. If the school are closed too long the parents are going to discover a vaccine before the scientists !

1 Like Save    
reader_in_transit

Merci, Yoyobon.

Save    
kathy_t

Regarding hair salons, my brother speculated that in a few weeks, we'll know the real color of everyone's hair. :^)

1 Like Save    
yoyobon_gw

Kathy.....I was just thinking about that this morning ! Years ago I adopted the "if not now, when" attitude toward my hair color and letting the highlights grow out. I like what I ended up with very much, but many of my friends insist on coloring.

Into day 7 of SIP ( shelter in place), I've discovered that sliced bananas slathered in peanut butter and covered with chocolate chips, then microwaved for 20 seconds are quite yummy.

2 Likes Save    
merryworld

dedtired, I just had a virtual book club meeting. It went pretty well. I set it up on WebEx, and it was very east to do, but it takes a couple of days to get the account. It's free, you can have as many people as you like and be on for as long as you like. We had 7 people on video conference for about 2 hours. People can link via any device.

My little town outside Boston is the headquarters of BioGen which had a conference a few weeks ago. Turns out one of the people had the virus and now we have 15 confirmed cases and 95 people on mandatory 14 day quarantine in our town alone. We are staying in except for grocery, pharmacy, and post office (we are out of business without them). My daughter is home from college and doing work and school remotely.

Because we work from home anyway, not that much has changed in the day to day for us. But we also used to travel a lot for business and that has all been canceled.

1 Like Save    
vee_new

Just heard on the BBC news that three (separate) factories in England that normally make vacuum cleaners, racing cars and driverless vehicles are re-tooling to design and produce ventilators, of which there is a serious shortage. We still call this the Blitz Spirit!

2 Likes Save    
yoyobon_gw

In these days of infestation,

It is often times a question,

Should I shave my legs or

Wax my upper lip ?

For I find with isolation

My fashion takes vacation,

And my makeup....well,

There's one thing I can skip.

2 Likes Save    
kathy_t

1 Like Save    
Rosefolly

I rarely wear much makeup - mascara and sunblock do it for me! But I will regret scraggly hair. Mine is short, fine, and naturally curly, and definitely looks its best with a recent cut. But if it helps to keeps us healthy, it's a minor inconvenience.

I'm going to try my hand at sewing a few masks. The directions look easy. The stumbling block is the lack of elastic, which is very difficult to source just now. I have one small packet of almost the right size. I'm going to make a few with that and send them to one of my daughters. She is a nurse, but these days is stay at home mother. She has a friend who works in the ER who is having trouble getting masks who would like to have a washable cloth mask.

Save    
yoyobon_gw

Kathy....lol......the reality check for sure !

I've found , in a pinch, that a sliced banana , plopped with peanut butter and liberally covered with chocolate chips...in the micro for 20 seconds works nicely !

1 Like Save    
dedtired

Merry world, I have suggested to my book club members that we meet via Zoom one of these days. Some are more tech savvy than others,. We shall see! Thank heavens for being able to download books.

no sooner did i post this than my book club decided to meet via Zoom.

Save    
annpanagain

Yoyobon, the hairdresser is on the list of shops that can stay open here! I thought of you...

The city library has closed though.

Save    
donnamira

Here in Northern Virginia, the governor has ordered schools, gyms, barbershops, etc closed. My hairdresser's salon voluntarily closed last week. Our library has been shuttered since March 16, where 2 books on hold are languishing for me. :( My office was also directed to mandatory telework last week, but since I've been teleworking since I was hired back part-time (not high enough on the totem pole to rate an office on-site!), the order didn't affect me much. Our county is one of the hardest hit in the state so far, probably due to our proximity to the DC Metro Area with its frequent travelers.

We've been looking into video meeting options for work - where we are restricted to Webex, Adobe Connect or Microsoft Teams. NSF and most universities are using Zoom and are enthusiastic about it. Sadly, our cybersecurity folks won't approve Zoom for our use. Sounds like it would be perfect for our panel reviews.

Save    
yoyobon_gw

Just completed Day 10 of Hunker Down.......

3 Likes Save    
annpanagain

Yoyobon, love it!

The hairdresser must not exceed 30 minutes! Luckily all I need is a trim as I decided to grow the colour out years ago and found I had a pretty silver underneath. It is more of a white now but still thick, thanks to mother's genes.

Save    
Rosefolly

Yoyobon, that is a particularly nice set of directions, thank you!

Save    
vee_new

Here in England the regulations have tightened up considerably in the last few days.

Now besides all places of entertainment having closed to this is added all shops/stores selling non-essential goods. People must stay at home and go out for no more than an hour a day for exercise. Shopping should be only for necessary goods. People should be in no more than groups of two. Everyone to keep two metres/six feet apart.

The police will advise bigger groups to separate . . . and in some cases have been spat on for their advice! They had to break up a BBQ of 20 people yesterday. Do these idiots have no brains or think rules do not apply to them?

Part of the 'trouble' here is that after several months of rain and more rain this last week has seen more sunshine than we have had probably since August. Folk, especially those with children, naturally want to get out into the fresh air so parks and beaches have become over-crowded.

Save    
yoyobon_gw

I read that in Italy one mayor warned graduates who were threatening to hold their party regardless that he'd come after them with a flame thrower. And he was serious ! Now, there's crowd control.

1 Like Save    
netla

Everting has slowed down here in Iceland. Small shops and personal services, like my cousin's hair salon, are closing because of social distancing (hopefully only until the epidemic is over), and a public ban on social gatherings means that only 20 people can be admitted into shops and supermarkets at a time. Hand sanitiser and disposable gloves are provided for shoppers. Swimming pools and many other public service institutions have closed for the duration and essential services are running on necessary staff only, except for health-care providers, which are running full throttle with a reserve team posed to step in for those who might fall ill. Schools have been left to their own devices about solving the social gatherings ban, so some of my friends' kids are studying from home full-time, while others are going into school for a few classes a week. Fortunately, there aren't any shortages (yet) and there doesn't seem to have been much panic shopping.

According to a couple of my friends, there has been a boom in the sales of laptops, smartphones, tablets and gaming computers = People are definitely determined not to die of boredom while they self-isolate. It wouldn't surprise me to hear that online streaming and gaming services are experiencing a boom.

I have been working from home since Monday and will continue until this is over. I like it fine so far, and find that my productivity has actually risen a bit. It's all the peace and quiet.

I hope having a routine will save me from getting cabin fever - at least I can go out even if I have to keep a distance from other people.

My friends club, which meets every couple of weeks, held its first online video meeting last night. Although nothing beats meeting in person (and eating all the delicious treats the host offers up) it was fun and we are upping the number of meetings to once a week until we can start meeting in person again.

Save    
Rosefolly

Has everyone noticed how wonderfully fresh and clean the air is? With so many people staying home, there is not much traffic on the roads, and very little car exhaust.

1 Like Save    
vee_new

Yes Rosefolly, I thought and noticed this early this morning. We live on a very busy main road until recently used as a 'rat-run' by huge trucks to avoid the tolls on the two Severn bridges near here. Up until last week if we heard a lull in traffic noise we always assumed there had been an accident. Now we can easily hear the bird-song and the air seems much fresher.

3 Likes Save    
annpanagain

Sadly, no! We have had some very hot and humid days so the smell from the roads is strong and the same amount of traffic seems to be going past as the school run is still on.

Many places have shut down but the hairdressers have had the 30 minute only rule scrapped! We have only had two deaths of men coming from overseas for the whole huge State.

The holiday island of Rottnest (where those cute selfie-posing quokkas live) has been entirely turned into a quarantine station for State residents coming off a cruise ship which is docking on Monday. Non-residents to be flown home, going straight to the airport from the ship.

Lessons have been learned about letting passengers go off a ship unchecked.

Save    
lemonhead101

I learned that there has been a HUGE uptick in the sale of guns and ammo in the U.S., particularly in the South. One of my DH's friends own a gun shop and he actually ran out of modern guns in stock. He ended up selling some of the older more antique guns to desperate buyers. <smh>.

Save    
astrokath

It's interesting to see what people think they need in this situation - guns in parts of the US, toilet paper everywhere, rice, flour, liquid soap and laundry washing powder, yesterday my DH tried to buy seeds for winter vegetables from our biggest hardware store and there were none! Mincemeat has been in short supply too, along with dried pasta, so I can only assume that Aussies live on spaghetti bolognese :)

Australia has now made it mandatory for people flying in from overseas to spend 2 weeks in isolation in a hotel. I suppose it will be easier to make them stay in. It makes sense because nearly all of our cases can be traced to people who brought it in from OS.

Save    
annpanagain

The gun shops have been closed here in Western Australia. I was surprised to see a new upmarket shoe shop opening in my local mall. Bad timing!

Save    
yoyobon_gw

Rosefolly, not only clean air but also a total end to the awful robocalls and telemarketers ! Blissful peace.

2 Likes Save    
msmeow

There is a new shooting range in our town and the parking lot is jammed every day when I pass by on my way home. Even today, when our stay at home order went into effect last night. ( I was out because I work for an “essential” business.)

Bon, it is really nice to have no robocalls, isn’t it?

Donna

Save    
yoyobon_gw

The silence is blessed. Now when my phone rings I can be assured it is actually someone I know.....not "Gary" from India wanting to offer me a lower rate on my credit card.

Save    
katmarie2014

No quiet for us I'm afraid. Here on the west coast of Florida 40 miles north of St. Pete Beach/Clearwater it seems like most of the neighborhood is taking this opportunity to have work done on their home. We do not have a stay home official policy in our county. Right now we are listening for the second day to the music by the crew working next door, accompanied of course by pounding and saws.

We are happy about the reduction in air traffic though. A couple of years ago Tampa International Airport expanded and one of the new landing flight plans came right over our neighborhood. The planes are still somewhat high because we are a ways away but still noisy and as we noticed over time, dirty.

We are staying home except for food shopping, which has proved challenging the past two weeks. We are in the middle of tourist/snowbird season and when most of the restaurants closed and a small number went to curbside or take out only with limited hours, all those people needed food. The stores are very empty or picked over, with everyone panicking in general and all the additional people that would normally eat most meals in restaurants shopping for supplies.

Save    
yoyobon_gw

Two weeks into it and people are less panicky......but all are locked down.

Save    
msmeow

Kat, in Orange County (FL) we are under a stay at home order, but construction of all types is on the essential business list. I read the county mayor’s executive order and I think a list of non-essentials would be shorter than the ones deemed essential!

Donna

Save    
yoyobon_gw

Here's a great site to learn something new during this time !

duolingo.com

Save    
rouan

I live in central NY also, and am fortunate enough to work in a field considered "necessary" so I still have outside contact with my co-workers; although we are supposed to maintain the 6 feet distance rule. I miss being able to go to the library and B &N most of all. The paper goods craze has let up a little; it is possible to find TP, some tissue, and some paper towels if you hit the grocery stores at the right time. I have even started seeing some pasta and rice products on the shelves recently. There are 27 confirmed covid19 cases in my county, but no deaths. Most of the cases are downstate, near NYC and surrounding areas. Hopefully, this virus will run it's course quickly and we can get back to a more normal life again.

1 Like Save    
annpanagain

Here in Western Australia we are getting social gatherings really cut down. Two people are a group unless family and Police drones with lights and sirens break up a crowd who don't obey the directive, also there will be fines!

The borders are closed to all but WA residents with some exceptions. My son who is returning from touring in a far off State has had to get paperwork to clear his journey at each border!

We hope to keep the bug at bay with these strong measures. So far, only two people, who had returned from overseas, have died but we have accepted sick people from a passing cruise ship for humanitarian reasons. Even though they are taking up precious hospital facilities, they must be treated, of course.

We appreciate so much the people who look after us all. They risk infection but still carry on.

Save    
yoyobon_gw

After two weeks in isolation, we have just been instructed to continue for 30 additional days.....after which I'm sure more will be added.

Save    
annpanagain

Yoyobon, are you able to get out at all?

My daughter is in isolation for health reasons but is able to drive to the beach for walks as long as she distances herself from others. It would be bad for her to be totally cooped up. Total confinement is not good for mental health, surely?

Save    
annpanagain

Here in Western Australia we are closing not only the State borders but creating borders to close off within the State! My son is racing to get back before Sunday 11.59 pm or he could be shut out! If he makes it in time, he then has to self-isolate for 14 days and stay in his region.

However to make sure that the Easter Bunny can get through for the children, a special "Eggs-emption" has been signed by the State Premier. (He is like a US Governor I think! )

Save    
yoyobon_gw

I made my version of Tibetan prayer flags and hung them between two pines trees in front of our home. As the wind blows the flags it carries your wishes across the globe to bless all and remind us we are one.

2 Likes Save    
annpanagain

Yoyobon, that is a lovely idea.

Save    
yoyobon_gw

LOL....showed it to my granddaughter and she thought that I'd used TP !

To clarify...these are strips of 8 x 18 cotton fabric as the base for the flags !!

1 Like Save    
annpanagain

Use precious T/P? What an idea! As if...

2 Likes Save    
yoyobon_gw

True !!

We have a house in our neighborhood where they have put up all their Christmas lights on the house to cheer everyone. The local news featured them recently.

1 Like Save    
carolyn_ky

My great-grandson is a first grader and thinks his mom is a much harder home-school teacher than his classroom teacher. Yesterday, the teachers at his school drove by their students' houses and honked their car horns and waved. He was delighted.

Save    
vee_new

It seems many of our fellow RP'ers are in lockdown from their computers and I know woodnymph has to rely on using one at her local library, but where are the rest of you?

Yoyo I like the 'prayer flag' idea and find it interesting that your house is built surrounded by trees and is seemingly on a steep slope . . . and I hope you are at the top rather than the bottom (thinking of flooding etc)

Carolyn a nice idea from the teachers. I think both pupils and parents are finding 'teaching' and 'being taught' difficult at the moment. English schools normally have a two week break for the Easter holidays at this time, so I bet the parents are heaving a sigh of relief . . or maybe not as the kids will still be under their feet. :-(

I understand that various US States have different regulations concerning social behaviour during this very difficult time and wonder how much effort the 'authorities' put into seeing these new 'rules' are adhered to?

In the UK this upcoming weekend is meant to be one of fine warm weather and usually this would mean a surge of traffic/people heading for open countryside/parks/beaches, but we are now being advised to 'stay at home'. Not an easy call for families who have been cooped up, often in small gardenless places, for more than a couple of weeks.

Re the TP conundrum last night our local TV showed a 'virtual' graduation ceremony for medics at the University of Bristol. One family were shown presenting their daughter with a 'scroll' made up of a loo roll with a red ribbon around it!

These early grads will be rushed onto the 'front line' of hospitals country-wide.

BBC latest news

Save    
annpanagain

Vee, I have been on my laptop a lot recently and watching many news and special COVID programs, a sort of FOMO! My family are not able to call to visit me personally but have been in daily phone contact.

My son and his partner had to dash across the country, making a 22 hour non-stop drive when he disembarked from the ferry from Tasmania as Western Australia is closing the border at 11.59am on this Sunday, even to residents!

With only three deaths of people in the State so far (they were from cruise ships) the Govt are being very hard but the strict rules are working.

Save    
yoyobon_gw

Vee.....we are up the hill, in fact you can glimpse the far corner of our upper deck in the top of the photo. Ours is a deck house with the main living area on that second level so that when I look out the large windows I feel like I am in a big treehouse :0)

1 Like Save    
carolyn_ky

Vee, our newspaper has reported two cases of men being fitted with GPS ankle bracelets usually used for home incarceration of prisoners because they have tested positive for the virus and refused to stay home.

There also was a photo of a group of men gathered at a local golf course which caused a lot of criticism and a threat from our mayor to close the public and the private courses.

The playground equipment in our city parks has been rendered unusable--swings having the chains locked to the top bar and basketball goals having the rims removed, etc. Kentucky does have far fewer cases and deaths than the states around us, and our new governor is determined to keep it that way, although he is saying that we have not reached the peak yet.

Have you heard the joke that the next virus will involve diarrhea and people will buy up all the nasal spray?

1 Like Save    
annpanagain

I am so relieved! My son and partner have finally crossed the border to our State and have permission to go to their family beach house to self-isolate for 14 days

Lucky that they had that option, as they rented their home out for a year while they were travelling around Australia. They had to move quickly before the border closed tonight but were towing a caravan, which restricted their speed.

Anyway, they are here now and I can breathe again! I wish I could visit them but they will be in another region of the State. My D is in my region but is self-isolating for her health problem. I am on my own for the duration.

I survived the London Blitz so my present situation is nothing really in comparison! We can still talk on the phone.

3 Likes Save    
msmeow

Ann, I’m so glad they made it home in time!

Save    
vee_new

I second what Donna says! It must be a weight off your mind Annpan.

Everything is still very quiet around here with the occasional car and a few dog walkers; everyone keeping a 'safe' distance apart.

Carolyn we too have our small percentage of badly behaved 'rules don't apply to me' pains in the a***s. Apparently over 3000 people went to a London park yesterday where many sun-bathed, kicked balls around or had 'too close' groupings. While I understand and appreciate that people especially with small kids require some fresh air and exercise there is no need to host a BBQ for all your friends in a public space.

My US (VA) cousin emailed to say their local gun shop has run out of ammo . . .I understand though it also sells animal feed there is no-where one can purchase 'human' food. Are these people planning to get out and shoot their dinners or are they expecting trouble from their neighbours?

I should add that cousin and her DH live in the mountains and are heavy into 'nature' gardening etc and not rednecks or hillbillies. And as her husband comes from Connecticut the 'locals' claim not to understand him when he speaks!

Save    
yoyobon_gw

Ever have one of those days ?! Hang in there everyone.

1 Like Save    
carolyn_ky

That photo looks a bit like those of us who frequent hairdressers and are now having to do our own hair!

Vee, I've been reading about all the gun and ammo purchases. It is my feeling that some people are afraid of being attacked for all the stuff they are hoarding. At one point, ground beef was not available along with the ubiquitous toilet paper and paper towels. Wonder what all these people will do with their excess purchases?

Ann, glad to hear that your son got home.

Save    
vee_new

We in the UK listened to a broadcast by HM Queen last night. Something she seldom does; at the death of Diana and the outbreak of the Iraq war come to mind.

For an elderly lady well into her 90's she is still very much admired and speaks good uplifting sense.

Boris Johnson the PM is now in hospital as he has been suffering with the 'virus' but trying to put in too many hours of work a day . . .

HM Queen Speaks to the British People

Save    
Save    
msmeow

Vee, I heard a bit of the Queen’s speech on NPR this morning. She is just amazing! I’m sorry to hear Boris Johnson is so sick. They said this afternoon he’s been put in intensive care. Our supreme leader doesn’t seem to care about protecting himself (or those around him) by wearing a mask. I’m surprised the Secret Service isn’t making him do it, since they are in charge of protecting him.

Donna

1 Like Save    
yoyobon_gw

Most people, I've noticed, don't seem to care about wearing a mask or gloves when out and about. I do not agree with that, but it's a free country.

" You have the individual right to be lax, or foolish. You could get lucky and not get this virus. Or you could contract the virus and not have symptoms, so you would never know it.

You don't have the right to potentially expose other people with impunity."

-Amy Dickerson, columnist

Save    
yoyobon_gw

Found this on FB and thought it was funny......" Coloring my hair ......"

2 Likes Save    
annpanagain

Although the hairdressers are allowed to open, the ones locally have closed anyway. We shall look like Castaway-type show extras soon!

It took me a while to finish my DVD of Sanditon as I have been watching all the news shows and Government Press conferences so that I don't miss the rapid new developments. With my son and partner now finally at their residence, I felt relaxed enough to watch the last episode. I had accidentally spoiled it by checking on the number of episodes on Google.I can understand the general feeling.of viewers as it ended. I enjoyed the lavish production and tried to ignore the lack of hats and bonnets! My usual gripe about Regency shows.

There was no rush to finish the DVD as the libraries are closed!

However, the State Library is giving Mystery Boxes of 7-10 books of their stock in a nominated genre to members, who can pick them up from various points.

Return when finished, please!

As I don't have a car, I can't participate. I still have the Thomas Cromwell book to read.That should keep me busy when I get around to it!

I have the new Death in Paradise series 9 DVD to watch. The ABC have just started series 8. They are so behind...

Save    
vee_new

Every day becomes a little quieter here. Fewer cars, almost no 'planes and just the occasional dog-walker.

The over 70's have been told to stay at home and everyone is strongly advised to only leave the house for work (if absolutely necessary), food shopping, medical appointments (they'll be lucky as most of the Dr's offices are closed and only doing 'phone-in' consultations). No-more than one hour of outdoor exercise running, cycling, walking allowed. No driving to anywhere unless it cannot be avoided. so no days on the beach/lakes/mountains etc.

The police have the power to fine people and have pointed out the 'error of their ways' to groups of mostly young, arrogant fools for think 'rules' don't apply to them.

The TV are now showing scenes taken in some of the big London teaching hospitals. Medics/nurses etc in all the safety kit. All operating theatres, recovery rooms, scrub spaces now full of C19 patients.

Our PM Boris is still one of them in intensive care.

A new Nightingale Hospital has been built at what was the 2012 Olympic Stadium in East London. with beds for 2000. Several other similar hospitals being built in large cities.

The NHS has certainly pulled out ALL the stops.

Save    
vee_new

Yoyo, or anyone in the US. If you develop this virus will you be covered by your Insurance? Would you have to pay for testing, time in bed plus care, oxygen etc etc?

In the UK we find the American system difficult to understand. I remember many years ago here at RP a US poster said that if someone was unable to pay for medical care they could visit the ER, but wonder if ER's are still 'running normally'?

Save    
sheri_z6

Vee, I believe testing for the virus is a covered expense here for everyone, but if you wind up in the hospital with the virus your coverage will be determined by which insurance plan you have (ours has said we're "covered", though for how much I don't know - a serious hospital stay here can run to the tens of thousands of dollars). I'm not sure the government bail-outs cover hospitalizations. I'm sorry I really don't know more than that -- anyone have more info?

Save    
annpanagain

Goodness! I never thought of having to pay for hospitalisation! I think our health care covers for us.

The Govt are throwing billions of dollars into all kinds of schemes for economic recovery too. It is ironic how previously they couldn't increase the pitiful amount paid to people who were out of work and suddenly money is being thrown at us!

Vee, I hope Boris gets well soon. He did look very sick when he was clapping for the health workers outside No.10. He should have been in bed.

1 Like Save    
vee_new

Thanks Sheri. To us here it is quite scary that one needs 'the readies' to pay for hospital care. Of course we do pay but it comes out of National Insurance and Income Tax and everyone is covered whether they have a job or not. It is quite possible to chose to have private insurance which does mean you are able to take advantage of private hospitals with their (usually) faster admissions, single rooms, fancy menus etc. Many Dr's work in both the NHS and the private sector and these days the NHS 'buys in' care from private hospitals as the system is very overloaded.

Many private hospitals are being used by the NHS for the C 19 patients.

Annpan it seems as though Boris, although still in intensive care, is cheerful and sitting up. As you say he should have been in bed from the early symptoms and not trying to put in an 18 hours day . . .which I don't think comes easily to him!

On the other hand Prince Charles got over the virus quite quickly, but I believe he leads a surprisingly abstemious (sp) life, eats and drinks very little and puts in many hours of work . . . apart from having to glad-hand the public.

Save    
yoyobon_gw

All testing is free to everyone.......that's my understanding.

If I am hospitalized for anything Medicare pays then my supplemental AARP picks up the rest. That fact that it might be associated with CV has no impact.

Save    
vee_new

Thanks yoyo. Is Medicare something that kicks in when you reach a 'certain age'? And what is AARP?

Save    
sheri_z6

Medicare health insurance coverage kicks in at age 65. The AARP (American Association of Retired Persons) offers additional insurance coverage to make up any gaps in the Medicare plan.

Save    
carolyn_ky

Vee, there are several Medicare Supplement insurance companies that sell policies at several rate tiers. You definitely need a supplemental plan to be well covered. My husband had various heart problems and some other surgeries (e.g., gallbladder, hernia repair, kidney) and never had to pay anything except for first-of-the-year deductibles which are not very pricey. Supplements have a monthly fee, of course, and mine continues to rise annually partly due to my advancing age, I suppose.

Save    
vee_new

Thank you yoyo, Sheri and Carolyn. Obviously medicine is Big Business in the US . . . unlike other developed countries. The insurance companies must be raking it in!

Save    
carolyn_ky

I got an Easter card with a note in it from Mary Woodnymph. She doesn't have a pc and Charleston College is closed, so she no longer has access to their library computers. She said she misses RP as well as the art history course she was taking. Also said Charleston is a ghost town, as is everyone else's city, I suppose.

Happy Easter, everyone. I hope the bunny finds you with some chocolates. I read a Dr. Seuss take-off on Facebook called The Virus that Stole Easter. It wasn't terrifically well done, but one line touched me: "The churches are empty, but so is the Tomb."

Save    
Rosefolly

I miss Woodnymph, too.

And I am grateful to have this circle of friends to chat with about books, life, and what ever is on our minds..

Save    
yoyobon_gw

Rosefolly........this is a special forum for sure.

1 Like Save    
vee_new

Carolyn if you are able to 'communicate' with Mary/woodnymph please send her my/our best wishes.

Having to rely on a computer from elsewhere is certainly a problem. It harks back to the days when many folk had to make phone calls from a public payphone, clutching a handful of small change.

And apart from emails to relations and friends RP is the only site in which I participate . . . although I do glance at Hot Topics, but it is still rather hate-fuelled and blame-gaming, even with this terrible C19.

Save    
carolyn_ky

Will do, Vee. I will write her a note and mail it tomorrow. I'm on Facebook and read Fodor's Travel Lounge which is a forum to post about things other than travel. Some of the posters are very hard on our President and your Prime Minister!

Save    
astrokath

Carolyn, please pass on my best wishes to Mary also.

When explaining this forum to people I always say it is the best-mannered place I have ever been on the internet. I love that we can talk without being rude or mean, and can disagree politely, with the knowledge that not everyone sees things in the same light.

1 Like Save    
vee_new

Thanks Carolyn. As Kath says 'without being rude or mean' and not wanting folk to think I am being impolite, many in the US seem to see their Pres and our PM as similar characters, but please don't! Certainly many find BoJo to be a pain in the rear-end and he used to huff and puff a lot, but there is a sharp brain under the unruly mop and he has a strong team of civil servants around him at all times. Nor does he wake up in the middle of the night and tweet his thoughts to the world. I must admit I can't see why he seems to be such a babe-magnet! What am I missing?

And . .. he has just sincerely thanked the NHS for saving his life.

Save    
msmeow

Vee, thank you for the insight on Mr. Johnson! I wish our pres would keep his mouth shut a lot of the time, but he's not going to change at this point. :)

Donna

1 Like Save    
annpanagain

Vee, you may have missed BoJo's personal charisma!

I was at a party once and noticed a short man standing in the entry doorway. He gave off the most incredible vibe. I found out he was a VIP with the Bolshoi Ballet dancers, who were the guests of honour. Perhaps it explains Napoleon Bonaparte's alleged magnetism.

I also sensed that with, of all things, a couple of horses! One a champion racer, the other performing in Vienna. The strength and aura of power drew me, in awe to all of them.

2 Likes Save    
carolyn_ky

Ann, my daughter and I saw the Lipizzaner horses perform in Vienna. It was an amazing show. I also enjoy the races at Churchill Downs, not for the thrill of the race or certainly for winning money on them, but for the beauty of the thoroughbred horses.

Save    
bigdogstwo

Hi all,

Central PA here. I am a very happy introvert; I am a very unhappy "forced to shelter in place" person. While grateful for everything our amazing president has done and continues to do despite the many and continued criticisms he faces, but I am ready to be back to normalcy now.

And... I work in healthcare - a rather large academic medical facility. I am non-clinical so I can work from home but I have done nothing but covid crap (yes, it is a real term now, apparently) for the past month. Plans are in place, mobile screening is in place, all sorts of swabbing and testing and screening are in place. We have everything but the patients. In the past 24 hours, we had fewer than 30 patients triaged for mobile testing. So perhaps we are starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel.

We are all home all of the time. I love my living room but now that I am working out of it, I want to repaint and reupholster everything. Home is my secret fort, so I am usually content to be here. I read, of course, and I cross-stitch which is like a form of mental yoga for me.

The happiest family members are the dogs. They have snackos all day long because everyone, by silent agreement, eats breakfast and lunch on our own schedules and we only get together at dinner time... and then we ask each other how our days went... haha.

PAM

Save    
yoyobon_gw

This had to be a bookseller or librarian who created this clever

assortment of titles.

1 Like Save    
sheri_z6

Yoyobon, that's brilliant!

Save    
kathy_t

Very clever! I've had photo that sent to me several times and I have wondered who might have quick access to those particular books. Maybe we should all look at our own bookshelves and see what we can patch together. Hmmm... yet another quarantine time-user-upper idea!

1 Like Save    
yoyobon_gw

Kathy, great idea.

Let's do it and post what we come up with ! I'm in.

Save    
yoyobon_gw

2 Likes Save    
kathy_t

Good one, Yoyo. I haven't tackled this project yet - but intend to.

Save    
kathy_t

Okay, here's what I found among the books currently in my house. I thought it seemed fair to include a library book I checked out before the quarantine started. It feels like part of my household now.

1 Like Save    
skibby (zone 4 Vermont)

Excellent!

1 Like Save    
yoyobon_gw

I'm impressed !! Great job!......and regarding the library book just consider it yours, at least for the next year.

Have you read The Uninvited Guests yet?

Save    
annpanagain

I have been able to keep the library issue DVD of Sanditon for the duration so have watched some scenes again for the sheer pleasure of the marvellous production. The beach scenes are like the old paintings especially watercolours of seaside resorts in the Regency era, reconstructed.

What a pity the TV series, like the original, remains unfinished! Apparently there is no second series to continue the story.

Save    
kathy_t

Yoyo - The Uninvited Guests is another book I abandoned during this strange period I'm in of having trouble finding a book I really want to read. (Odd that I tried both The Sudden Guest and The Uninvited Guests one right after the other. Truly just a coincidence.)

Save    
yoyobon_gw

I'm going back to Three Pines........The Book Charmer did NOT charm me.

Save    
vee_new
1 Like Save    
kathy_t

Wonderful news, Vee. Hardship does have a way of bringing out the best in some people.

1 Like Save    
carolyn_ky

Lovely story.

1 Like Save    
vee_new

A week short of his 100'th birthday Captain Tom Moore has now raised over £20 Million with donations sent from all over the world. He hopes to continue walking until this crisis is over.

The walk continues. Scroll down

Save    
vee_new

Have you in the US finished with hunkering down? We have seen pictures on the news of people lolling on Florida beaches and certainly not keeping anything like 6 feet apart.

Have also seen groups of folk waving banners "Give me liberty or give me death" Are they from an alternative universe?

Here in the UK we are still under 'lock-down' and those of us over the age of the big 7 zero are not even meant to leave our homes except for simple exercise and are expected to rely on family members to do all out shopping etc. Luckily we have good neighbours who have been willing to pick up basic supplies once a week.

I feel as my Mother must have done during and after WWII with rationing. We certainly have enough to eat but none of the extras we so much take for granted these days.

Save    
Rosefolly

Even here in the US, I have heard about Captain Moore and his accomplishment. Hear, hear!

As for the idiots who are demonstrating against quarantine, well, they are idiots and nature will demonstrate right back at them. It is one thing to grumble about restrictions and it is something else altogether to flout the law that is designed to protect us.

Although I do worry about people for whom this situation is a serious economic hardship. The check the government is sending out won't even cover a single month's rent in a one bedroom apartment here in California.

1 Like Save    
annpanagain

I have seen with alarm the push to stop the lockdown. This is vital and the distancing and social isolation has been the reason we in Australia have such a low death rate. About 70 people in total, yes 70, have died. In my huge State there have been seven. The people who have fallen ill have mainly been from cruise ships or been in contact with a carrier.

The numbers are so good that we are opening the schools for a limited number of pupils, mostly for children of essential workers. The hospitals are starting to gear up for elective surgeries to recommence as the beds are empty.

As an 80+ I am staying at home a lot. My family provide food in frozen containers and a friend drops off milk for my continual cups of tea! I only go out for medical appointments and then I do a very quick shop for other necessities..

Please don't undo the good by rushing back to normality too soon.

3 Likes Save    
vee_new

Of course there are a vocal few over here who want the lockdown to end or at least be modified and there are the usual loonies . . .

Plenty of 'comments' in the papers about how the Govt is handling the situation. Too little too late, not enough forward planning etc. Isn't hindsight a wonderful thing?

A remark from an opposition party member that Boris deliberately caught the virus to get the 'sympathy vote'.

Some parties unknown to the police (but obviously crazy) who have been burning down 5G masts as they believe them to be spreading the virus . . . and even a normally mild-mannered very old friend of mine from Canada who emailed to say this whole pandemic is "mind control on a global scale" apparently orchestrated by the likes of Microsoft and Amazon in order to keep the shops etc closed and so make money through on-line ordering . . .

Thank goodness the few of us here at RP help to keep each other sane.

Save    
yoyobon_gw

Okay,,,,,,as a joke I put this sign in front of my house and this morning when I went down to get the mail I found : a bag of Gertrude Hawkins chocolates, two XL Hershey's chocolate bars and one regular size Hershey's chocolate bar !

5 Likes Save    
skibby (zone 4 Vermont)

Excellent Yoyo! Who knew that's all it takes. I'd like some shrimp... I thought that we' see shortages in the grocery stores right away but that didn't happen until now. DH has taken over the shopping and doesn't have experience enough to be savvy about substitutions, etc. I've adapted quickly. After all, I claim to be a good cook so let's see what you got Toots! Get creative. (DH is a peach)

Save    
merryworld

I love the prayer flags and chocolate Yoyobon!

I am sorry to say in my little town of about 10,000 we have 90 current cases confirmed, 198 people quarantined, 91 people recovered and released from quarantine, and 8 deaths. One of the reasons it is so high given our size is one of the assisted living facilities we have in town had an outbreak.

We celebrated Greek Easter yesterday, and I felt no guilt about not going to church at all :). I made Greek Easter bread and Spanakopita and grilled lamb and a banana cake, all of which left me with no eggs to dye. Also no Easter candy, but we have plenty of chocolate in the house at all times so I didn't have to put a sign out.

We are still in business so I'm still trekking to the P.O. daily but I wear a mask and wash my hands like I just had to pick up dog poop without a bag. I've made a few masks but now I'm out of elastic and hair ties and can't seem to find any online. I tried to order elastic from ebay but it never arrived. Maybe I should put a sign out for that.

Save    
yoyobon_gw

Merry.......do it !! Seriously. You just never know.

Save    
Rosefolly

Merry, The Sewing Place is supposed to be getting 1/8" baby elastic at the end of the month. You could order it now. I ordered some elastic from them, set it aside, and now I cannot find it. Drat.

As for chocolate and egglessness, if anyone wants to bake a chocolate cake but has no eggs, I have a recipe. The NYT just published an article on Chocolate Mayonnaise Cake, a long-forgotten recipe from the Great Depression. Forgotten but not universally so, as it was a family favorite for us growing up. It is a cake of the rich, moist, heavy kind, not the light airy style. My affection for this cake is probably why I have never developed a liking for light cakes.

Save    
carolyn_ky

Vee, the "loonies" in my area are complaining about their "rights" being trampled on. I guess they didn't get the memo that their rights end where mine begin. A great majority of KY residents are very proud of our new-ish governor. The state is 31st out of 50, as I'm sure you know, in ranking of number of cases. We have had a total of 2,960 cases, with 148 deaths; and we, too, have had the biggest percentage of deaths in nursing homes.

Save    
vee_new

Thank you Carolyn. I think some of our deranged people think that these protection orders are the thin edge of the wedge and that any minute now we will become a police state. And it is true that here and there the police have been heavy handed when dealing with people driving somewhere or taking a walk in the park. Luckily our police are NOT armed so usually either a shouting-match followed by a fine is the outcome.

Rosefolly mentions sewing. Here groups of needlewomen have been going 'great guns' at providing extra 'scrubs' and protective clothing for NHS workers as supplies are getting dangerously low in some areas. Even school science labs are being put to good use designing and producing those plastic face shields. I now know what 3D printing is!

Are people helping in similar ways in your necks of the wood?

Save    
vee_new

yoyo, will some of us be going on a diet-challenge when lockdown comes to an end?

And I'm sure you are really slim and sylph-like so a few bars of choccy will just boost your morale not your waist line.

1 Like Save    
yoyobon_gw

The "vulnerables" after being quarantined and finally

set free.

"Is that Fred over there ?? I barely recognize him.

Seems like Edna's put on a few......"

1 Like Save    
annpanagain

I have lost weight!

Lack of my usual exercise, walking around the shops, means lack of appetite. I am only fancying half portions and no desserts but I am drinking lots of tea. My house dresses are hanging loosely and slipping off my shoulders. I rarely bother to go on the scales but dusted them off and found I have lost 5kg since I last weighed myself!

I am disappearing!

1 Like Save    
carolyn_ky

Yes, Vee, people are doing various things to help, sewing masks, for example. As you probably know, Kentucky is noted for its bourbon whiskey; and Louisville has a number of distilleries. (The latest tourist draws are bourbon tours.) But the distilleries are closed now and are using their alcohol supplies to make hand sanitizer. The little granddaughter of a friend calls it handtizer, which I sort of like.

Unlike Ann, I'm not disappearing. Well, someone had to eat the Easter candy,

1 Like Save    
vee_new

Thanks for replying Carolyn (and btw have you changed your email address?)

I am always amazed how quickly factories can re-jig their machinery to bring a new product on stream so it should be no surprise that a group of (usually) females can get together to make some really useful garments.

Re the handtizer. Over here there is/was a popular brand of 'pop' called Tizer. I remember my brothers swigging it. A horrible synthetic fizzy beverage which should have rotted their teeth!

As for disappearing . . . I weigh more-or-less the same although I could lose a few lbs but I don't snack, perhaps I should just eat less at regular meal-times . . .

Save    
yoyobon_gw

Stress can cause some to gain weight......at least that's the excuse I'm going with.

1 Like Save    
carolyn_ky

Yes, my email address has changed. My name as one word in small case at gmail.com.

Save    
annpanagain

There have been skin problems with people using sanitizer too often. I opted for using fatty soap and water as my elderly skin is thin. I only use sanitizer when I shop. There are bottles at the front counter at most places.

We are easing restrictions a little in my State as the many hospital beds which were prepared for an outbreak are not being used. After next week, some necessary surgeries will be allowed. My D's has been put off so she might get it done soon.

My son is now free to leave his house after 14 days iso after coming home from another State. He headed straight for the beach as I knew he would! Just to sit and look at the sunset. You can't do that in some States, the beach is only for a quick swim or surf and leave. No hanging out sunbathing!

1 Like Save    
annpanagain

Oh, Joy! I found that a hairdresser had opened at my local mall and they were able to give me a trim right away. I also had won $A10 on the daily lottery.

The Water Board has finally decided to lay new pipes beside my nearby road as there is so little traffic about. The old ones were always bursting. I don't even mind the noise!

1 Like Save    
vee_new

Annpan, from out of the dark clouds comes a small ray of sunshine!

And for us the rather tiny but welcome gleam has come from managing to get a 'home delivery slot' from the supermarket. It has taken over a month to find an 'opening' on line and worth it even if the van arrives at 3 in the morning. It will mean not having to ask our neighbour who only buy 'essentials' and we will be able to stock-up on soap-powder, TP etc and maybe some ice-cream for a treat!

We are being told it might take 'up to a year' before things get back to something approaching normal. I'll have to get DH to cut my hair with the garden shears . . .

I imagine us oldies will be under lockdown for many more weeks, if not months.

Save    
annpanagain

I didn't try for a home delivery as I do like to go to various shops and would only need a few items from the Supermarkets doing this for seniors etc.

I got my friend to get me 2litre flasks of milk now and again but have been to the shops about once a week and stuck mainly to a list.

We have no idea when things will be back to normal here. It is a case of having limited contact and hoping the low numbers of sick people will continue. We have only to look at what is happening elsewhere to keep us from wanting to rush into changing the plan to ease up slowly.

1 Like Save    
annpanagain

Vee, I remember how eagerly we listened for the first cuckoo to herald Spring.

I have had my first robo scamcall after a long pause. Is this a sign that things are getting back to normal? It was to warn me of the cutting off of a service I never had! How kind!

Save    
vee_new

Annpan, you were lucky it wasn't from a Nigerian Prince!

I haven't heard a cuckoo for several years and do miss their call. I have only actually seen one once and hadn't realised that they 'cuckoo' while they fly. Other birds mob them, but being quite large they appear unconcerned.

And I have just given DH a 'trim'. OK if you don't look too hard!

Call of the Cuckoo

Save    
msmeow

I was just reading a local broadcast news website and they had a “stock photo of someone experiencing a soar throat.” That’s a new symptom!

Donna

Save    
vee_new

Donna I don't know how one could tell if a person had a sore throat just by looking at them or at their photo, but this dreadful virus seems to have a multitude of symptoms even among members of the same family.

Save    
msmeow

I was just amused by the use of the wrong word. The caption actually said “soar throat”.

Save    
carolyn_ky

Perhaps the person was singing, and her voice soared into the rafters?

1 Like Save    
vee_new

I understand from the BBC that you all in the US are able to cure your sore throats by a quick gargle with bleach!

1 Like Save    
annpanagain

My favourite TV doctor commented that this would kill the Covid virus....also the patient!

2 Likes Save    
yoyobon_gw

Vee.....yes indeed, we are a super-human breed

1 Like Save    
carolyn_ky

You've heard the adage that the cure was worse than the disease?

1 Like Save    
vee_new

Well Captain Tom has now celebrated his 100th birthday with a card containing a personal message from HM Queen, a flypast by a Spitfire and a Hurricane, made an honourary colonel of the Yorkshire Regiment, a member of the English Cricket team, messages from the Great and the Good including one on TV from the PM, hundreds of thousands of birthday cards, so many a special Royal Mail sorting office had to be provided . . . and to cap it all has now raised over £30 million for the NHS, partly in gratitude for all the help and kindness he received when he fell and broke his hip a couple of years ago . . . and of course for all the work they are now doing in very difficult conditions.

Happy 100th Birthday Captain Tom

1 Like Save    
sheri_z6

Vee, I've been following the Captain (now Colonel, I believe!) Tom story for a while now. How inspiring! Thanks for the link.

1 Like Save    
annpanagain

Two months have gone by since we started this thread.

How are things with you all?

In Western Australia we are starting Stage Two on our recovery roadway next week. School is back for all children, more shops are opening and so are small cafes and restaurants for limited dining in.

Boot camps for small groups and non-contact sports are allowed among some other things. None of these affect me! I am still staying indoors a lot as the weather is chillier now we are in late Autumn.

On the plus side, I had a $A1500 stimulus credit from the Govt. put into the bank and a shopping help arrangement was set up. I now get driven to the local shops and back, which was added to my fortnightly cleaning.This is handy for my bulk shopping which was getting a bit heavy to pull home.

I passed the money over to my son who was disadvantaged by having to return with his partner in a hurry across southern Australia from his vacation island before our State border closed, then go into quarantine for a fortnight.

Save    
vee_new

Annpan, I was wondering how fellow RP'ers were doing.

There have been some very minor relaxation of rules here in England, Golf courses are open, folk can stay out in the 'fresh air' for longer, some groups are being encouraged to return to work where 'safe' to do so. but told to avoid buses and trains where possible. Schools not back yet, most shops remain closed, no hairdressers open until at least July.

We are being told to use out 'commonsense' which seems reasonable to me but some political parties esp in Wales and Scotland, after asking the Govt to open up the country now say we should remain in total lockdown.

And mentioning chilly weather. We had one of the wettest Winters ever, followed by a beautiful sunny Spring and now on to Arctic winds taking temps down to single figures C. but now no much-needed rain.

Save    
yoyobon_gw

Tomorrow we begin Phase I of reopening the Southern Tier of New York state.

There will continue to be a relaxed "stay home" but some essentials will be opening and resuming. It is going to be watched and if any spike begins, then we go back to a more cautionary approach.

Interesting point......swab testing is being offered at our local university for anyone who qualifies. My cousin, a NP, went with her husband for tests because they intended to drive to Georgia for Mother's Day to visit their grandchildren. My cousin tested NEG but her husband tested POS. It was determined that he was an " asymptomatic carrier"....and both were then quarantined for 14 days , to be given an antibody blood test after that.

While in quarantine he got a tick bite and had to take the two pill prophylaxis !

This whole event just shows us that you just never know who is walking around with the virus and able to infect others. It makes me so annoyed when I see people refusing to wear masks. This is a good example of why they must.

This is a very strange virus and we do not know enough yet to feel free to go about life without concern. IMO.

Re: weather

We just had three nights of freezes with temperatures in the low 20's. Hopefully that polar vortex has passed and we can resume sane spring weather !

Save    
kathy_t

Oh boy - This is exciting! Look what my public library is doing for us.

1 Like Save    
msmeow

Yay, Kathy!

Save    
Rosefolly

How I have missed my public library! My county has done very little opening up.

However, one thing they did was open up all outdoor nurseries and garden shops. Some of you may know that our toddler grandson and his mother (our daughter) have lived with us since shortly before he was born in fall a year and a half ago. Today Tom and I drove to an outdoor garden ornament shop. Now I am not one to put a lot of cutesy ornaments in my garden. In fact I am known to roll my eyes when I see such things in others' gardens. But we are besotted with our grandson, and he loves statues of animals that he observes when we go on our walks in the neighborhood. We came home with a bunny, a frog, a duck, and a hen and rooster. They are now distributed through the front garden, tucked here and there, for him to discover when he gets up from his nap.

We entertain ourselves as best we can. Who knows? I may add another piece at some point.

2 Likes Save    
carolyn_ky

I love it, Rosefolly. A stepdaugher and her little son lived with us from just before his birth until he was nearly four. DH only had two daughters and I had one, all grown before he and I married, so this was his (and my) first little boy. Besotted hardly covers it.

1 Like Save    
kathy_t

Rosefolly, what a charming story. I wish we could all watch your little grandson make his discoveries in your garden. Enjoy!

1 Like Save    
annpanagain

Rosefolly, I don't like twee garden ornaments either but I have been given them as gifts! What can you do except smile gratefully and then put them in a place where you don't have to see them?

3 Likes Save    
vee_new

The twee outdoor ornaments that English folk used to turn their noses up at were always garden gnomes. They appeared to reproduce overnight and front gardens were often overrun with them.

I first 'met' one when away at school where 'he' sat with a fishing rod at the side of a round lily pond. I remember thinking 'he' was wonderfully bright and cheerful. One day dawdling along while admiring him the young nun in charge of us called to me "Come on I'll race you round the pond."

I was rooted to the spot with surprise. Nuns were never familiar with pupils and certainly didn't run anywhere.

It wasn't until many years later that I found out that this nun, then probably only about 17 years old, had been sent from Ireland by her parents at 15 years to join the Convent. She once showed me a photo of a group of small children sitting on a donkey. "Are those your brothers and sisters?" I asked. "Sure, you don't know the half of it" she told me "There were seventeen of us when I left home." Entering a convent was a way out of rural poverty for many families with way too many kids.

Save    
annpanagain

My son was the one who gifted me with garden ornaments. In addition to a four foot windmill, numerous gnomes and a crane who I wittily named Frasier after the TV character, I also got some animals to hang on my vertical garden.

I allowed the metal windmill and crane to rust and passed them on to my D who loves rustic ornaments. I also mentioned my preference for chocolates, potted plants and bottles of Baileys as suitable gifts. Luckily he took the hint.

Speaking of my D, she has been extremely careful and stayed at home or walked in open air surroundings until yesterday when she was coaxed by a friend to have lunch in a now reopened, refurbished and sanitised cafe she frequented a lot pre-Covid days. She deserves a treat for her patience.

1 Like Save    
Rosefolly

Grandson Brody with Duck. He is also very fond of Bunny. So far he's not very excited about Frog, and has not yet discovered the chickens.

Yes, besotted is probably the right word. For us, as well as for him.

1 Like Save    
carolyn_ky

What a cutie he is!

1 Like Save    
kathy_t

Rosefolly, thank you. I was hoping you'd share a photo of one your grandson's discoveries. That is just too cute for words! I can't think of a better reason for placing little cement critters in your garden.

1 Like Save    
yoyobon_gw

Precious !

1 Like Save    
annpanagain

Such a cute picture!

Today I paid my first visit to the library for weeks! They have reopened and the staff used the time they were closed to change the place around to allow for social distancing.

It looks very spacious with spread-out stacks, brighter and smart!

I placed my returns on a shelf where they will sit for 24 hours decontamination and was able to collect a book I had requested, after leaving contact details in case of virus tracing.

We seem to be free of it here but act like it could strike again. Most of the cases in our State were from overseas travelers or their contacts anyway.

1 Like Save    
vee_new

Rosefolly, will little Brody keep that lovely fair mop or is the family naturally darker haired?

Save    
vee_new

Getting back to 'hunkering down'. It has just been announced that one hundred year old Captain Tom, who by walking around his house has raised many £'s millions for the NHS, has been offered a knighthood by H M Queen.

Arise Sir Thomas!

Soon to be Sir Thomas

2 Likes Save    
sheri_z6

Vee, that's brilliant! Thank you for sharing that. I've been following his story for a while now, and he's absolutely inspiring.

Rosefolly, your grandson is adorable!

Connecticut is supposedly ready to "re-open" today, with outdoor restaurant dining available and retail stores given the green light to open their doors. Barbers and beauticians still have to wait to open until June, for no discernible reason. My husband and son are looking rather shaggy, and I have no hair cutting skills whatsoever, so they are looking forward to that. As I have 80+ year old parents, one with asthma, I'm still going to steer clear for a while. The weekly grocery trip for both households is enough being out in public for me, though I am considering a foray to Home Depot for plants, mulch, paint, and several other things needed to spruce things up for spring.

Save    
yoyobon_gw

Vee, that is wonderful !

Save    
carolyn_ky

Thanks for telling us, Vee. He deserves to be knighted.

Our shopping malls and restaurants opened today with restrictions on the number of customers and spacing. Not sure how you space shoppers. Churches were open Sunday. My daughter and SIL went, but I didn't. I thought I would give it a week or two to settle in. They said hardly anyone wore a mask, although the governor has asked people to do so when they are out in public. Every other row of seating had been removed, and people were supposed to separate themselves into family group seating. Salons and barber shops open next week. I've taken to rolling my hair on my 1960s brush rollers when I wash it. So much for Marie Kondo. They may not spark joy, but they sure have come in handy. It was just one use for an old shoebox.

1 Like Save    
Rosefolly

Vee, both his parents are natural blonds, but as with most blonds, a darker shade of blond in adulthood.

1 Like Save    
carolyn_ky

Rose, I saw a Covid 19 joke that said 88% of all blondes will have disappeared by the end of May.

2 Likes Save    
vee_new

Another Covid joke

An announcement is being made to passengers on a long-haul flight.

"Good Morning Ladies and Gentlemen. This is your captain speaking. We are flying at an altitude of 30,000 feet and will reach our destination in 15 hours. You will be pleased to know that in the interest of lockdown safety I am working from home today."

2 Likes Save    
vee_new

And in the interest of Annpan's safety I hope she is OK as unusually bad weather is due to strike W Australia especially in the Perth area.

Western Australia Storm Alert

Save    
annpanagain

Vee, OK at 10.15pm. The wind has been howling loudly but dies down occasionally. It should be raining heavily later tonight. Good for the garden!

I was concerned about losing power and Sunday night TV programs but have been all right so far. I have a torch powered up and candles on standby.

I haven't let down the electric roller shutters in case I get stuck with them still down in a power outage! I got caught like that once before!

1 Like Save    
yoyobon_gw

During isolation , where did they think all that hoarded , stockpiled food was going to go ?

1 Like Save    
msmeow

Bon, I saw a meme on Facebook that said, "During hurricane season, are you toilet paper people going to buy all the light bulbs in case the power goes out?" LOL

Thankfully the merchandise selection at our grocery store is starting to get more normal.

Donna

Save    
carolyn_ky

The one I saw said the next epidemic would involve diarrhea and people would buy up all the nasal spray.

Our groceries have plenty of paper supplies now.

1 Like Save    
annpanagain

As we have had such bad storms and the power can go off for hours, I decided to order a rechargeable camping lantern to be delivered. I can't read by candle light as it flickers too much.

The lantern is lovely but I am so bad at working things out that I had a problem assembling the charger from the written instructions. In the end I went onto the 'net' and finally worked it out from a French short video whose detailed pictures showed where I had gone wrong. Voila, all sorted!

1 Like Save    
vee_new

From watching the TV news of the goings-on in the US it appears that 'lockdown' has become rather meaningless in many US States.

Here we are allowed some greater 'social mixing' with family-groups etc and we are able to drive further and take more exercise, which for some seems to be going miles to sit on a beach and then be surprised by the lack of facilities ie no pubs, cafes or public toilets open, which has led to some very antisocial, unhygienic situations.

But we have been blessed with a beautiful Spring with wall-to-wall sunshine and virtually NO RAIN for well over a month. After the wettest late-Winter on record it is going to be a record dry May. The grass is drying out, hosepipe bans are about to start and our (private) water supply is at very low pressure. The cry goes out "Only flush when absolutely necessary!'

Save    
annpanagain

We are having unseasonal storms. Some of the heavy rain is like standing under a waterfall, it is so dense!

I am stuck indoors at the very time we are entering Stage Three! Most areas are opening up in the State and social distancing is now halved. We still have to be careful as the sheep ships are bringing crews with the virus into port. They are going into quarantine and putting the live sheep trade (which I dislike) in jeopardy. However some of the crew went ashore and mingled before the infection was discovered so the virus could still be out there.

The borders are staying closed in our State and some others in spite of pressure from people who want them open. Our interstate areas are mostly open so my son and his partner can resume their travels but are now going clockwise around the continent.

Save    
annpanagain

Now it is July, we are almost Covid free in Western Australia and are in Stage 4 with most places open but taking care. The border is still closed to the other States so we are having Football teams coming to play here from the still stricken Eastern States as we can have real spectators attend in our Stadium. Better than cutout figures!

I have stayed indoors a lot as the weather has been horrible! My family are happy though as my son is travelling up North to the sun and my D can go out to lunch with friends now nearly every day to make up for lost opportunities!

How are you all getting on?

Save    
vee_new

Annpan, I'm glad things are looking up for you in W Aus. It appears that here in the UK we have been hit very hard by C19, almost the worst in Europe . . . depending on how the figures are collected.

Still some easing-up is happening slowly. More shops are open, hairdressers, pubs, bars, restaurants will/can be open from the w/end although with 'safe distancing'. Schools are partly open . . .depending if you are in Wales, Scotland or N Ireland . . . all rather confusing. Younger son who is handicapped and attends a day-centre is still waiting for 'someone' to decide what will happen! I think some flights 'abroad' are going ahead, not that I'm planning to go anywhere soon.

Some areas are having a 'spike' in the outbreak and part of the blame-game is that it has been caused by the BLM protests, which did get ugly in some areas.

I can see questions being asked in High Places about the Govt's response in handling the outbreak. 'though I can't see how any other political party would have handled it better. What does seem to be true is that many firms are using this difficult time to shed employees although the writing was on the wall for many of them long before the virus hit.

My older son has been one of them, 'let go' from his senior position in a computer forensic firm. Luckily he had his suspicions that all was not well, so after getting the sack on the Monday he applied for another job on the Tuesday and after on-line interviews and tests was offered the new job on the Thursday and starts work today! So a lucky outcome for one person.

Save    
Carolyn Newlen

Good for your son, Vee. I read that the U.S. has more cases than any other country and will not be allowed to visit the EU countries, as, of course, we should not be. Kentucky has fared better than lots of states. We are now entering Stage 3, but cases are trending up a bit. I don't know anyone personally who has had the virus, but I live in the largest city in the state which means, naturally, that we have had the most cases and deaths. As elsewhere, nursing homes have been hard hit. The saddest story I've read is that one older woman who has Alzheimer's thinks she is being punished for something because her family can't visit, and they can't make her understand it's not her fault. She keeps asking, "But what have I done?"

Save    
vee_new

Thank you Carolyn. I can't believe that no one else is 'hunkering'!

Yoyo as you started this thread please tell us what is happening in your neck of the woods. And what about Skibby? Is Vermont too isolated for the germs to jump over the forests and mountains?

We hear that Florida, Texas, California have been badly hit. Does each state have separate 'rules' to deal with the outbreak?

Over here the city of Leicester has been put back into 'lockdown' The reasons for the new spike in cases seems to be mixed but it is a very social/racially diverse area with about half the population living in quite crowded multi-generational housing which may have worsened the situation.

As Carolyn mentioned care-homes for the elderly seem to have been badly hit and I can see people with older family members not being keen to send their loved ones to such facilities any time soon.

Save    
skibby (zone 4 Vermont)

Thanks for asking Vee. We are currently very low as to the number of cases. Perhaps lowest in the country, I think I heard. Folks here have been very good about staying home, distancing and wearing masks. Also, as things open up, many are reluctant to venture out and so they remain at home. Our Governor has been a great leader for us throughout this sh*(&(*&t show, He shows a perfect balance between "take this seriously" and "don't panic". We've all paid attention with great results. I wish all states were as smart.

1 Like Save    
msmeow

Vee, in Florida most counties and many cities have their own rules. Our governor refuses to make any state-wide mandates so it leaves the local governments to do it. And the number of cases is really surging here.

Donna

1 Like Save    
annpanagain

We see a number of US leaders on TV news and they are getting as familiar to us as our own! Also I watch some programs about the current US situation with the election coming up, an added complication for you!

Save    
yoyobon_gw

Donna, I sympathize.

And it all comes down to who is in charge of your county/state. We went through this at the very start in New York state and under our power drunk governor we did as we were told and came out of it.

I think it was easier back in mid March because we hadn't been " let out" as Florida has. So to tighten down a state that hasn't been there before at this point will be difficult. If people won't do what they are told to do then the battle is lost .

Our NY PAUSE (hunkering down as told, nothing non essential) lasted 62 days. Think about that for a second. This was prior to any stage 1 reopening. We were told to continue in two week increments and no one could've imagined what the end total would be. But we did it.

Even now in phase 4 reopening which will soon be simply "on going control of the virus" we all wear masks when out and about, most still practice social distancing, and hand washing is still critical. This will continue until there is a vaccine. If a case is noted, the people involved are isolated for 14 days. The goal is to constantly monitor and control any spread.

It's all we can do at this point.

Bon

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Most Popular 5 Ways to Pare Down Your Stuff — Before It Gets in the Door
Want to free up some room around the house? Rethink gift giving, give yourself a shopping mantra and just say, ‘No, thank you’ to freebies
Full Story
Gardening Guides Backyard Birds: Create a Home for American Kestrels
These copper-colored birds of prey can be found throughout North and South America and often find habitats near human activity
Full Story
Bathroom Design Where to Hang Towels in the Bathroom
It might seem like a simple thing, but finding the right spot for your bathroom towels can make a big difference
Full Story