SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
miguel_palacios59

Porch pillar columns

Miguel Palacios
4 years ago

My front porch has two pillars that are just plain wood columns. I have this project plan to make the house edifice more Georgian looking. It is stucco now but I plan to put faux wood siding over the stucco, then some shutters on the front windows and then I want to change these plain wood columns by wrapping them in a roman style pillar. The problem is that I can't find a faux column that looks Georgian style or even Victorian. They're all faux stacked stone. Does anyone know where I can find faux Georgian/roman style pillars or at the very least real support columns in the aforementioned style to replace these plain wooden ones if need be?

Comments (29)

• Miguel Palacios
    Original Author
    4 years ago

• elunia
    4 years ago

It might be helpful to post an actual photo of your house as well as an inspiration photo. Shutters and columns aren’t considered the hallmarks of Georgian architecture.

Miguel Palacios thanked elunia
  • Related Discussions

Design of porch screening system if porch has round columns

Q

Comments (3)
    Hello, Building a nice screen room with tapered round columns is a bit time consuming but can be done. I've done a few on some historic homes. What I do is is align a piece of either 5/4 or 1 x along side the tapered column. I then hand scribe it vertically plumb, cut it so that it butts tightly against the column with its' slopes. The end result is a vertically plumb 1x or 5/4 jamb to create a square box in between the tapered columns to accomadate the new screen panels. Normally all the tapered columns are the same. So once you make one attachment piece to a column, you ccan copy them for all the rrest. Now you have a square opening to calculate your screen panels that would be installed in between. I make my own cedar screen frames and run screen spline tracks on the table saw. Of course I prefinish all the pieces and parts before assembly. If I can be of further help, please email me with your thoughts. All the best, The PorchGuy Here is a link that might be useful: My album
    ...See More

repair of Front Porch column with rotted base

Q

Comments (8)
    I will be the first to say it.. It sounds as if you are dealing with a fool of a contractor that wants to use epoxy and a jackhammer to repair the post... You do not need to jackhammer the concrete. A Basement jack could be used to raise the roof enough to remove the old post and replace it with a new one. Basement jack And the post could be attached by using a Wood to Concrete anchor/stand to elevate the post so that water can drain and not be soaked up. Simple fix really.
    ...See More

porch pillar color/shape

Q

Comments (8)
    If I felt a need for all the gables on the left, I'd do them like this so the scale matched the garage. Square porch columns. 3 windows showing white between them to match the windows to the left. White inside corner trim where the shakes turn into lap siding.
    ...See More

Exterior pillars / columns makeover?

Q

Comments (3)
    Faux gone mad. Massively out of scale to the load (lattice top) and to the house. Looks like the support was engineered to carry stone bleachers at the Roman Coliseum. I don't see how the load is supported close to the house...or isn't supported which may explain why the wide width. Looks like a knockdown/ start over project. Possibly can save the top if it can come down in sections. But that approach may not be cost effective. If the lattice top is attached to the house, it might be possible to temporarily support the roof, knock down the columns & rebuild. Temp supports like when a supporting wall in a house needs to be rebuilt. Again, maybe not cost effective.
    ...See More
  • Seabornman
    4 years ago
    Miguel Palacios thanked Seabornman
  • Miguel Palacios
    Original Author
    4 years ago

• Miguel Palacios
    Original Author
    4 years ago

• Miguel Palacios
    Original Author
    4 years ago

• Miguel Palacios
    Original Author
    4 years ago

• Miguel Palacios
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

@Hallett & Co no the photo you responded to was not mine. This last one posted at around 3:00pm Pacific time is mine. It's beige with two white posts and white trim around windows and garage door. Has the red marker on front lawn from Google images. Ultimately I want it to look like a Georgian/cape cod style house that has a wood looking vinyl or aluminum siding and add on the shutters to the two windows and then add wraparound column covers to the porch columns. I think it will work because it has the steep roofline like a typical cape cod house. We don't have anything going on in the attic space or else I would be adding on dormers as well to make it even more Georgian looking.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    4 years ago

miguel, no to the ornate columns. you have a simple post war rancher. Doing those grecian columns would look ridiculous on your home. (even the one pic you posted w/the green house and those columns looks bad).

at the most I would do some slightly larger cedar posts

this home is almost identical to yours. (ignore the shutters since they would not look good on your house). look how nice this looks.

Do the posts like this, get rid of the security door (if you can) and bring in a nicer door, do some nice lights and maybe a flower box under the left window.

don't underestimate the power of good landscaping. if you could create a path through the grass up to your front door, it would make a huge difference. you could use the concrete like in the picture, or, pavers or bricks. then spruce up the flowerbeds like shown

a little wrought iron railing also adds some accenting.

you have a very tiny porch area so doing over-sized posts would look out of proportion.

if you want more cape cod style, think about doing that one side w/some cedar shakes.

the thicker posts on this one is made of vinyl and available at home stores. notice the landscaping and path to the porch.

what you also might think about is extending your porch over to under the right window.

i can't find an exact picture, but it would look something like this. (only yours would be reversed to the right):

you wouldn't have to do wood posts, you could do thicker white posts like these

then do your walkway down the middle w/some type of hardscape material.

you could even do large squares of cement or flagstone. doesn't have to cost a lot.

In fact, you could also take off to the left and have a complete front porch.

since the roof won't cover it on the left, maybe do something like this

Miguel Palacios thanked Beth H. :
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    4 years ago

Here's your house with some photo shopped items I mentioned. The walkway and redone porch makes a huge diff.

I also added a darker garage door w/some windows. I think your bright white one is too stark against your house color. (what you could do is take a lighter shade of your stucco color and paint your white door. possibly add a row of windows, or maybe some hardware to the door)

Miguel Palacios thanked Beth H. :
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    4 years ago

That house will never be Georgian so embrace what you have and for sure no fancy columns Beth posted some great ideas

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    4 years ago

thanks elunia. i was looking for a pic that shows how the porch extends over to the right.

Miguel, this is what I was talking about. yours wouldn't be as wide, but it gives you an idea

you could even do a stone facade (or wood planks) on the lower 1/3 of the homes front.

• Miguel Palacios
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I don't agree with you guys, respectively. Here is a photo I basically just worked the alterations I want to do over the real photo of my house with larger Georgian columns, shutters, and off-white colored siding. The thing is you have to have an eye for this kind of thing and this is specifically my interest so I can see it even though you guys cannot. check it out.

• Miguel Palacios
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Here is one where I changed the roofline/roof shape over the porch and it made it look more georgian as well. I already said, If we had something going on in the attic space, then I would add more dormers but we don't have anything going on up there except for A/c ducts and wires.

• Miguel Palacios
    Original Author
    4 years ago

definitely in the realm of possibilities...

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    4 years ago

I have no idea how that is Georgian in any sense of the word. These are Georgian .The bottom one is a more modern take.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    4 years ago

so you're going to redo that roof so you can peak the gable over the porch? Just because you do that, doesn't warrant georgian columns. (why do they have to be this style? can't you use regular columns that match the home?)

I've seen this style columns but these are vintage homes. this is what they used back then.

Your house doesn't NOT support those columns in any way or shape. (they didn't use them in the 40's and 50's unless they were building some type of georgian colonial style home)

in this before and after, they sort of did what you want. I still don't think it looks all that great. too ornate

I don't know what you're seeing that we can't.

If you plan on changing the entire facade of the home, then maybe. Like they did here

you'll notice that they squared off the bases so that they fit better w/the style home. they aren't rounded and ornate like you want

is this the type of wood siding you're going to do?

• Katie B.
    4 years ago

I don’t think Georgian is the correct label, but I see what you’re trying to do. I think sometimes there’s a disconnect between the terms homeowners use and what that means to pros (Often times that’s a problem I have in explaining my ideas). You just want to add siding, shutters, and wrap the columns, and paint? Sounds good! Definitely wouldn’t do those ornate columns, but I think that cape cod inspiration photo is a charming house.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    4 years ago

Katie, scroll all the way up. he wants to specifically use these types of columns.

The shutters he's pictured are too small for his window size. I do like the wood siding, but he's using faux wood. I'd have to see the type he plans on using. Horizontal wood siding on that home would make it lean towards an mcm type of look. georgian columns of any type won't work on this home. reminds me of this w/the corinthian columns.

did you see the mock up I did w/his home using regular cedar (or wrapped square) posts? he didn't like it.

• Katie B.
    4 years ago

Yes, I saw the first Photo of the columns. Don’t do that, Miguel.

I love your mock-up, Beth. It’s headed into farmhouse territory, so I can see why he might not like it.

The windows are too large for functional shutters...I see that. Maybe he doesn’t care?

Miguel, keep googling and you’ll find a solution. Promise! The pros here know what they’re talking about, and are just trying to help you not ruin your house.

Instead of focusing on images of what you love, search for what you have + where you want to go, like “Georgian ranch house.”

If columns aren’t working and you can’t find exactly what you want, maybe you could rework the entry like this-

Here’s a Georgian-inspired ranch house.

Instead of shutters that are too small, you could do a different kind of window like these that have the 3 sections. It gives a shutter feeling without being shutters.

I suspect you just want Georgian touches and know you can’t achieve an authentic Georgian home with your existing house or without a full facade redo...so just keep looking/thinking/planning/asking questions.

• Katie B.
    4 years ago

Here are a few before and afters. Mess around with different trims and moldings, too, to get that Georgian touch in there.

Miguel Palacios thanked Katie B.
  • Miguel Palacios
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Beth, Georgian does not equate to Mansion... I am not trying to be rude but I felt like you came for me and tried to throw some shade. Georgian houses were typically built in the colonial era of the Americas. They can range in size from a cottage/shack to a mansion, like some of those you depicted. I posted pictures of colonial Georgian homes that had inspired my design for my house so you should have seen that there were examples of small Georgian homes. Like one of the gentlemen who commented earlier in the thread, it can also be called a cape cod style house. These homes are usually brick or wood sided and feature shutters and columns. The first picture I posted of the ornate column was just an example of the wraparound feature I was looking for, I was not saying that I wanted that column specifically or anything within that realm. I know that that is way too ornate for my house and Georgian homes don't typically have crazy columns like that. They're usually the classical smooth columns. I was just wondering if anyone knew where I could find the wraparound ones. I understand that you're a "PRO" but just because you paid or had yourself verified as a home business person doesn't mean that you know everything about houses and styles. Literally, every example you've posted of Georgian houses have been mansions or very large homes. I realize that the White House is Georgian. I acknowledge there is no way for me to turn my existing home into a Georgian mansion, however, I can turn it into a Georgian style cottage. There have already been numerous photos posted of small Georgian houses so your opinion about it is superfluous. Thank you Katie B. for your input and those photos. You are right that I do not care that shutters do not actually cover the windows. That is not the purpose for me. I don't live on the East Coast or in the tropics or near any coast for that matter that I have to worry about a hurricane or tropical storm winds doing damage to my windows and I would never use them even if they were functional. I don't live in "Tornado Alley" either. As a matter of fact, I live in Southern California, in the southeastern edge of the state where I have Az to my east and Mexico to my south. I'm right on the border and the state line basically. In other words, the only weather I have to worry about here is the heat so my small shutters are the kind that are just for decorative purposes. Thanks to Seabornman, who suggested a website where I could find what I was looking for I can show you guys the columns I am going to put in at some point when I change the facade... here are the shutters, you can find at home depot... and the columns.

And thank you to everyone else who wasn't an asshole and respected my vision.

• Katie B.
    4 years ago

Miguel, I think you’re referring to Patricia’s comments, not Beth’s (I don’t think Patricia’s were negative, for the record). I think Beth gave you a lot of good advice. No one can see what’s in our heads, and different terms mean different things to different people. Please don’t take offense. That cape cod house you posted is great and achievable with your house. I love that one actually, regardless of what you call it

All advice is good advice IMO. I’ve been trying to go modern, industrial, farmhouse with my Mediterranean wannabe house. I know I have good ideas, but I also have a hard time explaining them, and honestly, a lot of them don’t work with my house. But I can tell you, the advice I’ve received here (including from both Beth and Patricia) has helped me get my ideas in alignment with the house I have, and the final product will be better for it. Good luck! Post after photos!!

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    4 years ago

miguel, sorry if I offended you. perhaps you didn't convey exactly what you meant, and I perceived the columns as something entirely different.

as for the shutter size, it's not just for literal application. (ie, closing over the window for a storm) it's also meant for visual proportion. look up the term ''shutters or shudders' and you'll see what I mean.

if you're going to redo your house like a cape cod, great. go for it. I didn't know how far you were going to go w/the redo. when I posted pics of the columns, those are the only types of homes that you see those that you pictured. again, I realize you want something similar.

I hope you find what you're looking for and it comes together for you.

• tangerinedoor
    4 years ago

I think there's some confusion about "Georgian." It's not possible to make Miguel's house "Georgian". You'd have to, like, change the proportions, e.g. make it less squat. It would need windows much taller than they are wide, which also isn't gonna happen. You'd need a door in the middle and no garage. It's all about symmetry and tall lines.

So I think the "Georgian" term is confusing.

And I think folks are confusing columns and "Georgian". There's a style of "Georgian" called neo-Classical. It has columns. Mansions or small Cape Cods can be neo-Classical. Columns aren't specific to "Georgian". Houses from other periods have columns too. I.e. Byzantine, Italianate, atrium, craftsman....

Miguel has a CUTE house, IMO. And it sounds like he has a cottage-y look in mind. What's wrong with doing columns? Even flute-y ones? Why the heck not? Heck, I'd put a columned porch along the whole front and REALLY do columns. Train bougainvillea all over it. Add cool to the house. Totally. (In that case, I'd skip the shutters, but that's just me.)

• PRO
    Design Interior South
    4 years ago

Sometimes what we want and what we have just don't mesh. Your house cant carry the visual weight of what you're proposing. You would need to change your entire roof line. True Georgian architecture is two story with a center door and has even number of windows on each side. It doesn't include a front garage. You have a ranch.

Placing ornate pillars on the front will do little for your architecture save for make it look like the house On My Big Fat Greek Wedding.

Thats not being negative its being honest. We are trying to save you from a total disaster that you threw away money and time to get.

You may be able to modify this home by placing some false dormers on the roof and give it a cape cod look , which is the architectural style of the first picture you posted. Still would need a roof modification.

You can disagree with us all you want but your terminology is incorrect. Placing round columns on a ranch home makes it no more Georgian than placing a leash and collar on a cat and telling people its your dog.

• Miguel Palacios
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I agree about the symmetry and the attached garage. The windows are actually pretty symmetrical but the Google photo I used had like a weird flaw that raised one to look higher than the other. As far as the roofline goes, I think you're mistaken about that because the roof is extremely steep. With dormers/gables then it would look more colonial. If you're talking about the shingles specifically, then I agree with you that I would have to change them to another style and color to really be colonial. I'm not saying that I'm gonna try to trick people into believing my house is Georgian. I just like the style and want to emulate it. Thank you again Katie B.