SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_16245081

face masks, false security

User
4 years ago

Yesterday I sewed up two adult sized face masks for hubs and I. I saw any number of them online.

I was very pleased how they turned out and how they fit nicely.

Hubs has to go for some lab tests today and he is thinking of wearing his to do that.

I know all the advice about how non useful a face mask is against the virus. I realize that it is only two layers of cotton fabric. It is not an engineered product that will filter out microbes. I realize all of that. However, it is amazing at what a sense of protection it gives when you put it on! It may not be a true protection, but it feels so good to hide behind that mask. It makes you feel as if you are doing something, even though science tells us that it is not true. I am sure that the science behind this is true, but true also is the sense of security that one gets, no matter how false that security may be.

One thing that is a fact, though, is that it will offer as much protection against a sneeze from someone as would have happened had that person sneezed into a cloth. It it a matter of putting the hanky on the face of the person recieving the droplets from the other persons sneeze. It will cover your nose from them, if they don't cover their nose from you.

Comments (55)

• jupidupi
    4 years ago

I watched an excellent program on the 1918 Spanish Flu pandemic made in 1998, when they were still able to interview people who had been through it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UVtlm6BQf0 One thing that struck me was how people just tied pieces of cloth around their faces. I don't think there were disposable medical masks then. I figure that if we need to wear masks and there aren't any available, I'll just wear a bandana.

• daisychain Zn3b
    4 years ago

Yesterday, I saw a young guy in a car by himself wearing a mask. That seems unnecessary to me, but I guess I don't have the whole story.

• Related Discussions

Mask pattern designed by a nurse, super easy.

Q

Comments (24)
    I just finished my first one using this video (thanks, Raven!). I didn't have the cord, so I used double-fold bias tape, sewing the length of it. But the mask didn't slide well on the tape, so I pulled it out and waited for the 3/16" clothesline that I ordered. I also ordered paracord, but Walmart was out of it. I used a safety pin to thread the cord. When I first tried the mask on there were gaps on the side. But then I followed the directions in her "questions answered" video on how to put it on properly, and that worked really well. Now I just hope it fits my son, as I made it for him.
    ...See More

Another Source for Masks

Q

Comments (100)
    Mine arrived yesterday. Love the prints, the fit and quality looks good. Mine are either silk with cotton lining (filter insert pocket) or a silk spandex blend with cotton lining. Out of five patterns, there is one that looks 'Hawaiian' DH could wear without feeling silly. Although he has olson style and pleated already. And this week he saw an ad for Tommie Copper adjustable ear strap 'antibacterial property' masks. He's a Tommie Copper fan and wears one of the compression sleeves often on his arthritic knee - he's convinced it helps and for the price I have no reason to argue with him ;0). He asked me to order the Tommie Copper masks for him, reasoning we may be wearing them at least occasionally the next several months, and I've done that. I've rec'd a notice of shipped and a USPS tracking number just today so I can't speak to their quality. Plain black, no choices there.
    ...See More

Rant - Hey non mask wearer, stop being selfish and wear a mask!!!!

Q

Comments (103)
    I have a mask story to add (not a rant , since none of my loved ones were endangered). A few weeks ago, I ran into an old friend. She lives, and works, in the small village where I grocery shop, and we were both there during designated senior hours. She recognized me, although I was wearing a mask, but she wasn't wearing one. I asked if she had a mask, and she said that she had only one, disposable, which she was saving for the days she had to take her father to his medical appointments. I asked if she'd like me to make her a fabric mask, and she graciously accepted. I dropped it off to her the same day, with some shop towel filters, as I was on my way to drop off my father's groceries. Today, as I was leaving the grocery store, she was arriving--sans mask. I jokingly asked why she wasn't wearing her mask, and she said that she didn't think she needed it unless she was in close quarters with others. When I pointed out that by wearing a mask she was protecting others, she responded that she didn't need it because she's "been good." I'm disappointed that I gave her one of my nice, 600TC Egyptian cotton face masks, and she doesn't wear it. :[ At least she has it if she changes her mind.
    ...See More

TJs is dropping the mask mandate

Q

Comments (44)
    The CDC did throw a curve ball by such a brief announcement without a full explanation. Judging by 'the talk of the town'. And SNL's funny KateMcinnon's Fauchi skit. Surprised a place like TJ's or especially Costco would lift their mandates so quickly. I don't see that happening in NY anytime soon. We will continue to mask-up indoors for some time especially through the Fall flu season and will watch carefully how the variants spread. Also to support unvaccinated children, those immune compromised, retail workers, etc. I'm visiting another state in a county that, according to a NYTimes article, is the highest in vaccine hesitancy. (Delaware). We have stopped in a few places for fuel, a country store, etc., and all are masked and pleasant as if it is just the norm. I do wish for a reasonable 'proof of vaccine' method better than a piece of paper easily faked. We have very comfortable masks that have adjustable ear loops and a good nose wire that also wash well in a mesh 'delicates' bag. Still doubling up for now if distancing seems unlikely.
    ...See More
  • Chi
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

They are good if you're sick and they are good reminders not to touch your face, which a lot of people do as a habit. They can't keep people from getting sick (outside of the reminder not to touch your face) but they certainly can't hurt.

• User
    4 years ago

Wearing a mask when you don't need it can be more harmful. Most people adjust the masks a lot throughout their time wearing them, which means you're touching your face a lot more often than you normally would. Also, viruses can enter your body through your eyes, ears, and any teeny tiny little nicks and cuts on your skin, not just your mouth. It gives you a false sense of security whereas it's actually more dangerous. Sick people wear masks to stop spreading the virus. Heathy people do not need them. If you wear a mask, I want you to stay the heck away from me because I believer you are sick.

• socks
    4 years ago

Seems like every time I read instructions not to touch the face, I'm actually touching my face!

Seems to me that smokers, COPD sufferers, emphysema, anyone with impaired lung function or other health issues would be wise to avoid contact with groups and wearing a mask could not hurt. Maybe not help either. I like the bandana idea, cowboy style.

• arcy_gw
    4 years ago

I see a mask and I think "Thank you, you are ill and your passages should be covered up to protect the rest of us from you"!!!

• anneliese32
    4 years ago

With all the facemasks hype and the assumption that the person has the virus, don't forget that there always have been people who have to wear masks for various other medical reasons, from allergies to chemo. Do they really have to run around with a note on them saying "I have cancer"?

• C Marlin
    4 years ago

In other times, I see face masks as cultural, around here many Asians wear them. I don't pay much attention, I would never ask them why they are wearing one or make judgements about them.

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    4 years ago

I think the only time I've seen the masks in public was about 1 1/2 years ago when air quality was particularly bad - forest fires. We were coping but I'm sure people with reasons to be more sensitive to it were dealing with it in their own ways.

The only mask I've seen recently was two weeks ago at my mothers care facility. One of the med techs was masked in the hallways. I asked her if she was ill and she said No, tree pollen allergies, runny nose, and strict protocol required her to wear the mask. I was trying to imagine snuffling and using a tissue under a mask but didn't question her any further ;0)

I have some here, DH always carried a few with his work as required for safety under his contracts. If we were ill and had to go out, I think would wear one to protect anyone near us from possible exposure.

• maifleur03
    4 years ago

If you make face masks do not just make one per person. There is a lot of moisture in out breath. Some cloth just does not dry quickly.

• pekemom
    4 years ago

We don't have face masks......in Walmart yesterday no one was wearing one but I assume as more time goes by we may be the only ones without one. That's not good.

• User
    Original Author
    4 years ago

There is no need to be hostile towards someone wearing a face mask. There is no cause to take offense.

People do wear face masks in the best of times. I see many do just that where I live, in normal times.

My own personal logic tells me that a microbe is more likely to find it's way into your body by means of touching and transmitting.

But, wearing that mask makes you feel protected, no matter how false.

People all over the world are covering their faces with masks. I realize that mine are not made of specially made fibers. I am not deluded by that fact.

• User
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Today I am reading a number of articles about home sewn face masks. There are some good articles that address the efficiency of them in a scientific manner. They are not perfect, but they are better than nothing. People all over the world are making them.

One thing that it seems is agreed to be the best fabric is a heavy cotton knit.

Some masks are being made to supplement and to use in conjunction with the more efficient real surgical ones to extend their life.

If only home sewers could have acess to the fabric that is used in those masks, they could be even better. There have been different fabrics that have been evaluated. It seems that the paper used in some vacuum bags is a good choice, but it is noted that it is more difficult to breathe through and drawing a heavier breath might also draw unfitted air behind the mask. . That fabric probably differs between brands, too. It seems that a Terry cloth has some value above some other fabrics, too. Perhaps it is the nature of the nap on the fabric that catches things, just my thought.

It seems that. in conclusion, the home sewn ones that are sewn of cotton, linen, etc are measured to be about 50% effective in filtering. The smaller the microbe, the more of them can get through, obviously. The virus is one of the small ones. Of course, the real transmission is by touch and these masks are credited with preventing touching of the face.

They make you FEEL like you are protecting yourself. What else can you do?

The CDC gives some instructions for fashioning one from a heavy cotton knit Fruit of the Loom t-shirt. It actually is all one piece and it ties above the head and behind the head. It fits tightly because it is pulled tight across the face and stretches.

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    4 years ago

If you want to make a truly effective mask, you might try to get your hands on some laboratory filter paper - one that filters 1 micron (ideally, much less. 0.4 micron will filter most bacteria, virus might need 0.2 micron). I don't think it comes in sizes that would make an entire mask, but perhaps enough to make a breathing hole in an otherwise impermeable film.

I think there are some agricultural uses of such filters too - mushroom culture? Winemaking?

I wonder if the suppliers of this paper are being overwhelmed with orders.

• donna_loomis
    4 years ago

Dallasannie, I've searched the CDC website and can't find the mask instructions you mentioned. Did you see this info yourself, or get it secondhand? If you saw it yourself, would you please point me to it? Thank you.

I saw something the state of Washington asking for sewists to volunteer to make masks. I went to the suggested website and registered. If you are willing to commit to making at least 100 masks, you can pick up a kit with instructions and materials to make them. Upon receipt, they will be sterilized for use in hospitals. Unfortunately, I live in California. But the site says the plan is to extend to other areas and I will be notified if and when there will be such an opportunity in my area.

• sjerin
    4 years ago

I just read on gw hot topics that Zara (Spanish clothing company) is retooling to make masks. Very good.

• Alisande
    4 years ago

Here's a pattern for anyone who's interested:

FreeSewing face mask pattern

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    4 years ago

Great instructions and patterns on you tube. Search for how to make a mask. I will be making some. I have several friends undergoing chemo currently and they want the protection. Chemo buddies put out a request for those who have the ability to please help make mask for chemo patients. I have not been wearing one but may as time progresses since I have a compromised immune system.

• Olychick
    4 years ago

I copied and pasted this whole article from the NYT for those who have a paywall on another thread, talking about how masks may benefit, but I don't recall which one. I'll try to find the cut and paste and link it here, too. https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/17/opinion/coronavirus-face-masks.html

Here is the full article in another thread. Scroll down a ways to see it:

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/5882423/thought-provoking

• joyfulguy
    4 years ago

How does one install a mask without touching one's face?

How does one remove one without touching one's face?

ole joyful ... who has a few that he got at the emergency room months ago when visiting to have a blocked catheter changed. But hasn't worn yet (except when sweeping, vacuumimg and dusting).

• User
    Original Author
    4 years ago

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/12/6/05-1468-f1

Here is where I saw the CDC face mask made from a t-shirt. It is a" made in the field" kind of a thing. I think that this idea with old t-shirts might be worth exploring, with a bit of redesigning. If the link does not work just search for "CDC simple respiratory mask t-shirt" and it should come up .

We need to find a way that does not involve elastic. We are having a shortage of elastic which was already in short supply due to the lack of sewing supplies in the retail sector. It also seems that the use of elastic in any of these masks is a weak point in it's ability to be sterilized because the elastic breaks down too easily with these procedures.

If we can find a way to fashion them of t-shirts it just might lead to more willingness of the part of the younger generation to cover up. Maybe? After all, the orange wizard has advised us to use bandanas!

Goodness knows that we are awash in old t-shirts!!!!! Most of them can be washed and sanitized.

The one in the CDC image reminds me of those old cartoon images of people with a toothache.

It still remains true that the best thing to avoid is touch and transmission. It seems logical that covering ourselves to protect ourselves also adds a layer of protection to protect others from us. It is not only this virus, but the regular circulation of viruses and bacteria are still out there, too, and no one needs anymore problems.

One problem that is emerging with some masks is that they restrict the breathing and you have to be careful and be aware of that, especially with young children or the elderly or anyone with a compromising problem. Also, if you are doing something that is strenuous and are breathing heavily you may have problems. Just be aware of it. Don't suffocate yourself!

Only if home sewers had access to that filtering paper fiber that those commercial masks are made from. It looks like there should be no problem with running it under a common sewing machine.

Note the careful order in which the ties are tied in that prototype. They are alternated to close up as much around the sides of the face as possible.

And, yes there is a proscribed way to remove a face mask that emphasizes the importance of always keeping a "public" side and a "private" side and to grab and touch only the outside of the mask.

• User
    Original Author
    4 years ago

What most people are sewing are the ones that are all over You Tube. They generally fall into two types. One is flat and sculpted around the nose and the other style is pleated. You can hang them on the ears with elastic or you can string one continuous string of elastic through and have it wrap around the back of your head.

I prefer the kind that wraps around the back of the head, kind of like a halloween mask but with two strands of elastic, one goes above the ear and the other goes below the ear.

I made the sculpted ones but I ran some narrow elastic in a casing along the upper edge and the lower edge that just cinches it in a little more closely . Some will add a wire, or a twist tie inside of a casing and pinch that wire around the nose. I think that might interfere with the sanitizing of the mask with a wire in there. You could make a place to insert and remove the wire, but I think that if you are making them to be processed for use by others, you should not use a wire Also, if you use a strong wire, you need to bend the sharp ends. You don't want that wire poking your eyes! I would not use a wire for those reasons. Or, only for your own personal use where you are aware of it being there. Beside, the twist tie is not going to last to be readjusted very many times before it breaks.

I recommend that, if you make the sculpted ones that you add a little bit more room for the nose so that the nostrils can have a bit of breathing room under the mask. If it is more comfortable you are more likely to keep it on and not fiddle with it so much. Trim the seams just enough but leave enough seam allowance in the center seam to add top stitching because two rows of top stitching gives structure to that seam and will hold it away from the nostrils better. I made mine with an outer layer and a lining. Now that I have made a couple of them I have more of an idea for how to improve on it. They are not difficult to make at all.

• User
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I was interested in getting some more elastic and a couple of other things so I looked online to see if Joanns was open. Indeed it was and there was a script across the top of the page with a plea for sewers to sew masks and gowns and the advertised that they had all that was needed, just visit the store. So, over there I headed only to find that there was no such thing going on in the local store that had not one inch of elastic. The truth is that they had almost none to begin with because they never do. I have a hard time finding anything in supply at this local Joanns for a long time now.

Not surprising. This is only going on at one of their seven Creator Studios that they have changed seven of their stores over to. It was all misleading and, as usual, Joanns has disappointed once again. It is only seven of these newly designed stores that used to be Joanns, in the whole country.

Good luck to find any elastic in any retail store today. There has to be another way that does not use elastic. The old fashioned ones that were used did not have elastic. Elastic is not a material that stands up well to the processing needed to sanitize the mask. We have become entirely dependent on a one time use throw away society. Even these N95 masks have that elastic and are only meant to be used once. The surgical masks may be made of filtering fiber but the one weakness is that they are not able to be sanitized. Since they are not reused or cleaned, they use the elastic since the whole thing is to be put into the medical waste garbage after use anyway.

This disposable mindset has come back to bite us in the butt.

I am not sure about gowns, though. I haven't heard anything about that and that is quite a bit different from a small mask. That requires some significant yardage and some sewing skills. I haven't heard anything about that.

Hubby told me that he heard this morning that Hanes underwear was going to start making masks. I don't know. According to what I saw online Haines has only corporate offices here in the US. According to what I read, the product is made in Thailand and, I think, Malaysia. It was Hanes heavy knit that the CDC prototype was made from, not Fruit of the Loom. Not that it makes much difference.

• C Marlin
    4 years ago

You can buy elastic on ebay with quick shipping.

• nicole___
    4 years ago

Christian Siriano....gawd I love him! He's a kind person "and" my favorite clothing designer. I remember seeing him WIN Project Runway years ago. He just volunteered his sewing team to make face masks for NY.

Kudos to everyone willing to make face masks!

4 years ago

Back in the day masks were tied - in fact, the masks that come in prepackaged procedure kits still have ties, not elastic (perhaps because the entire kit is sterilized after packaging). Ties work fine. They extend from the 4 corners.

It is for N95 masks, that rely on a very tight fit against the skin, that elastic is best.

• donna_loomis
    4 years ago

There is so much conflicting information out there regarding the type of masks some hospitals will accept. Most people seem to be sewing the masks with elastic. Some doctors and nurses are saying they would prefer those with ties instead for several reasons. 1) Elastic can be uncomfortable. 2) Once the elastic is sewn in, it cannot be adjusted to fit ones face. 3) Elastic does not stand up over many washing and sterilizations.

• User
    Original Author
    4 years ago

That is good information about the ties on the masks. Since we are not making N95 masks, we should make them with ties. Also, we should be making them with simple cotton that can be bleached and washed in hot water. I say it is best to save the pretty novelty prints and the elastic for friends and family. Medical facilities need things that can be more easily processed in their own facility before using. That, by itself, has got to be a chore.

It is a bit like these things that people knit and crochet and donate to be distributed. These things can't be used without culling them out and making sure that they meet certain criteria as to what they are made from, how they are made, and how they can be processed to be sterile on first use. People sending in all manner of things from their own home and sewing rooms and church basements represents a wild card, especially in these circumstances. It is a well known fact that there can be too much of it so that it can become a liability, rather than an asset.

Cute prints and elastic is going to be a chore to work around.

If only the CDC would make an establishment of standards for making them it would be better. You can't just have folks making whatever with whatever in whatever environment. Many people want to do something and it is inevitable that we will soon have a lot of well intentioned things being produced that really cannot be used. It happens all the time with knitted and crocheted items for donations. A lot of it serves more to make the person who in donating feel good and not as much to really add to the solution. That is the way it is. People mean well, but not all are capable or competent or even very clean.

I saw one video where it looked like they were sewing them by hand. I am sure there is no need to hand sew. There are plenty of unused sewing machines to be called up to service.

Mind you that some businesses and corporations are going to make fortunes in this mess.

How long would you suppose the ties should be? Say the entire length of the ties, across the face/nose and up each side, in entirety? I am thinking about 30" all together. And, it should be a wide enough tie that it does not just ball up into a little knot that is hard to untie. Think the difference between untying a knot in a yarn as opposed to untying a knot is a shoelace, for example. I am thinking at least 1/2" wide and flat.

• donna_loomis
    4 years ago

Annie, again, the information coming to me is different from every person. But the one I think I will follow actually has no pattern at all. A nurse posted a photo of a paper surgical mask and told us what each piece measured. I've collected so much now, that I will have to wade through and find it right now so I can get started. There are two ties. Each one is long enough to make the bottom tie, bind the side and then continue to be the top tie. She says how long each section is, so I think it should be very easy to duplicate it. I'll post as soon as I locate it again.

• donna_loomis
    4 years ago

This is the information the nurse shared:

Tie is 33 inches long. Top is 15.5 inches, mask size is 4 inches high, bottom tie is 13.5 inches. Mask is 7 inches wide

Those are the finished dimensions. You will need to make the height longer so you can make the three pleats in the mask.

• arkansas girl
    4 years ago

here is an article about the effectiveness of materials when making a DIY mask. what are the best materials to use for DIY masks

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    4 years ago

I am going to put ties on mine. I have quite a bit of good quality narrow ribbon. Not silky, thicker grosgrain type. I always preferred wearing the tie style. The elastic on the back of the ear gets irritating.

4 years ago

If I were making a mask for myself, I would use a HEPA filter - one of the washable ones perhaps meant for a vacuum, taken apart to get the material and make that an inside layer. But for donation I don't think that would work well since when washed they need a longer drying time.

Keep in mind that homemade masks do need to be multi-layered.

• bleusblue2
    4 years ago

Science has been telling us that it is "not true" because they were afraid we would take the N95 masks before the doctors got them. But EVERYTHING I read says something is better than nothing. More layers are better. Polyester out layer is good. Cotton tee shirts are good. Remove by touching the ear pieces and wash every day.

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    4 years ago

We have N95s. I never knew until I checked, until just now. We have enough masks to get groceries. And we'll use it for that. We didn't hoard them. It works fine for that, but not medical personnel if we could. Good enough for us, Not what they need. They're not sterile

• User
    4 years ago

We have some N95s. Dh has worn them in the past doing yard work during allergy season. Guess we'll wear them to the grocery store.

• Olychick
    4 years ago

I think so many private companies are gearing up to make masks for health care workers, that people probably will only be needing to make them for their own families. While homemade is better than nothing, on the front lines I suspect they will want something they are assured is protecting them.

I just heard this today at the WA Gov Inslee's Press conference about Covid virus - another local company is prepared to make hundreds of thousands of masks:

Outdoor Research announced Monday that it will be converting its
    manufacturing facility in Seattle to make protective masks for frontline
    medical workers.

The company expects to have the capacity to churn our tens of
    thousands of protective masks. Every day, its facility will be able to
    produce 140,000 surgical masks, 50,000 N95 respirators, and at least
    “thousands” fabric face masks capable of filtering out sub-micron
    particulates.

Outdoor Research is currently run by Dan Nordstrom, who, prior to purchasing the company, spent 17 years at at Nordstrom Inc., where he served as president in the late 1990s.

I know that Nordstrom is using their seamstresses to sew masks around the country and there is another large furniture company north of Seattle that has been making masks for a few weeks.

I also saw that Ikea will be making masks...hopefully already assembled!

I'm sure this is being repeated all over the country. We'll soon be on top of it, I think.

• functionthenlook
    4 years ago

My daughter asked me to make her a mask. That is what I was doing today. I made her two and one for each of her two daughters. She is divorced and has to take them with her to the grocery store.
    Thank goodness I'm a material hoarder. Lol. I made the sculpture one with filter pocket. I used 100% cotton. All I had for a filter is craft felt though. I'm going to lowes tomorrow. Just maybe, but I doubt that they will have hepa vacuum bags I can use as a filter.

I read that only hepa filter vacuum bags should be used. The regular bags aren't as good.

• chloebud
    4 years ago

"They are good if you're sick and they are good reminders not to touch your face, which a lot of people do as a habit. They can't keep people from getting sick (outside of the reminder not to touch your face) but they certainly can't hurt."

This is what I've heard in the past couple days from two ER docs. For those not sick, the main purpose of a mask is to help protect your face from your hands.

• graywings123
    4 years ago

I watched a nifty YouTube video of a doctor's wife sewing up masks using vacuum cleaner HEPA filters. She was making 4 masks from each filter. But the comments following the video questioned the use of the HEPA filters because they contain fiberglass. If true, then you have the potential of inhaling fiberglass.

• chloebud
    4 years ago

graywings, I think I saw that same video. Hmmm...fiberglass doesn't sound good!

• functionthenlook
    4 years ago

I guess you could inhale the fiberglass. The fiberglass is on the outside of the mask and the paper is toward the face. You can also use them as the filter in homemade masks that have filter pockets.

• Bookwoman
    4 years ago

For those not sick, the main purpose of a mask to help protect your face from your hands.

As we now know, there are a lot of asymptomatic people who have the virus but don't know it (somewhere between 10% and 25% of infections are the latest estimates). So you may think you're not sick, even though you're actually infected and shedding the virus. Masks should be worn, not just to protect yourself, but to protect others.

• functionthenlook
    4 years ago

Our state's secretary of health Dr Rachael Levine at first stated that masks were not needed in the beginning of this mess. Now she is wavering more towards the use of masks. Or hinting that they aren't a bad idea without coming right out and saying so. She said " My mask protects you from me and your mask protects me from you". You still need to social distance even if you are wearing a mask.

• lucillle
    4 years ago

Now that they are becoming more common I think there is an opportunity for models and famous people to model mask wearing, to maybe induce others to feel easier about doing so. And of course if it becomes a fashion statement everyone will be doing it.

• chloebud
    4 years ago

"Masks should be worn, not just to protect yourself, but to protect others."

I agree and I do. People just need to understand you can wear a mask and still get sick. What's the best way to protect your eyes, other than not touching them? I've just been wearing my sunglasses everywhere, but I know that's really no help.

• georgysmom2
    4 years ago

As long as it doesn't give you a false sense of security,, it certainly can't hurt. And if it scares others enough to keep them 6' or 10' away from you, it's certainly done a real good job! :-)))

• guest2013
    2 years ago

I bought a cloth one with paper silver filter inserts for the Holidays. Knowing I would be riding public trans into the city **chicago. TB scares me more than anything else they dream up. TB kills 1.5 million people each year - unless there is a pandemic to be pushed, then it disappears. no sinus or brain stick puncture needed. get a chest xray. it is a viable living GERM.

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Why is this showing up again 2 years later?

• jmm1837
    2 years ago

"TB scares me more than anything else they dream up."

It shouldn't. It's not a highly infectious disease (you generally need prolonged exposure to someone with TB to catch it yourself) and it is treatable (unless you're in a very poor part of the developing world).

Around 500 people a year die from TB in the US. Compare that with 40 to 60,000 who die from influenza or pneumonia, not to mention the numbers killed by Covid.