SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
petalique

Steam cleaner for tile grout, stove hood? Recommendations?

petalique
4 years ago

I’m not sure where to ask for a steam cleaner recommendation, but here goes. I want to loosen the discolored crud on floor tile grout as well as loosen grease and oxidized, stuck on grease on my over range exhaust hood. I don’t expect miracle cleaning with no scrubbing effort on my part, but I could use some real HOT steam help.

I bought an inexpensive (probably only 500 Watt) handheld steamer last year and used it on the exhaust hood. It was not helpful because, although there is vapor or what looks like ”steam,” it is not sufficiently hot (140 deg F max — only a bit warmer than hot tap water).

I perused various 1500 watt streamers, but the prices and reviews are all over the map and it appears that some users are hard on things, some don’t prepare the surface (say tile shower) with a cleaner first and expect easy miracle cleaning. Those dinky little scrub attachments wear out or break easily.

I would like to use a HOT 240 deg F steamer with a focused blast to get the debris softened and started, then use my own detergent and stiff scrub brushes and clothes. I would get down close to floor w a foam mat (ouch a bit), but want a steamer that will:

— generate hot steam, even if I have to pause for pressure to build back up

— not drip and leak water everywhere.

— that will not crack, snap and fall apart inside of two years if used carefully (no yanking by the wand and hose)

— will not fail and suddenly gush scalding steam onto my fingers, feet or face

I’ve read lots of specs and reviews. It seems as though build quality isn’t a strong feature with these units. Is it just a craps shoot?

Perhaps someone here has used one of this devices a few times, it got HOT steamy and did not disintegrate and you can suggest it to me for a possibility? Otherwise, I‘m going to rent a worn down nuclear power station cooling tower. Those are expensive.

Thanks.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm