SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
phoggie

Very excited but somewhat nervous...

phoggie
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

I have had Essential Tremor for the last 20 years (worse in my right hand) and recently jumped through the last hurdle to qualify for Focused Ultrasound ...., which was a skull density test. My skull could not be thicker than 6.0 millimeters because the “beam” can not burn through the skull nor less than 4.5 because it is too dangerous for the brain...mine was 4.7. I will have this done on June 3 at Nebraska City, Nebraska. This surgery was approved in the USA in 2016, but originated Israel. It hopefully will be perfected to treat ALZ and ALS in time.

The surgery will hopefully destroy, incrementally, a quarter of an inch sphere inside my left thalamus. The thalamus is a walnut shaped cluster in the middle of the brain that involves perception, consciousnesses, strength, emotion and sensation. This new technology precisely locates a lobe in the thalamus about the size of a pencil eraser, called ventrolateral nucleus, then destroy, incrementally, a quarter of an inch sphere inside the left thalamus. All of this will be done via a MRI machine. I will be fully awake for this procedure but will be brought out at intervals so that my tremor can be monitored.

Of course this does not come without risks, but I have spoken to ladies in Tulsa and Springfield who had FUS done by Dr. Tierney and they are both thrilled with their outcomes and I am praying for the same.

Comments (53)