SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
eld6161

Corona support group

eld6161
4 years ago

I appreciate all the information shared here. I am not usually one to panic.

Last night I dreamed the supermarket was entirely out of peanut butter. I rarely eat peanut butter so more for DH than me.

This morning I went Publix (we are still in Florida) and the place was packed.

They are rationing the toilet paper, two four pack packages per customer.

It is hard not to stress about what is just around the corner. My home in NY is not far from New Rochelle.

Let‘ all keep our spirits up by sharing how you are coping.

Comments (29)

• just_terrilynn
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

I like to be prepared for the worst if that’s possible.

This is what I did today. After making a PAC with my neighbor, I posted the below on my local Neighborhood website that includes 35 local communities. I’m calling it the Corona PAC.

CORONA PAC

I just started something in my neighborhood I’m calling the Corona PAC. It’s a non- Political Action Committee for the purpose of staying alive lol. How it works...choose a neighbor or friend to PAC with, if either of your home’s has to quarantine or is sick, the friend or neighbor will prepare foods or drop off supplies needed at the door.

I have my PAC do you?

eld6161 thanked just_terrilynn
  • mama goose_gw zn6OH
    4 years ago

I went to the store yesterday and bought peanut butter, apple sauce, TP and paper towels. There was no rationing, but I bought a family size pack of the paper products. And some rubbing alcohol to make my own hand sanitizer for the car, if it gets to that point.

I will be babysitting grandkids extra hours, since school has been canceled for a few weeks. Thank you, I will need a support group. ;)

eld6161 thanked mama goose_gw zn6OH
  • Related Discussions

Support Group Meetings; Anybody Attend Such Things?

Q

Comments (13)
    A "good" group meeting seems tough to find, for whatever reasons. In addition to helping yourself, your own experiences are a benefit to others. Nationwide on any given day, there are also seminars packed with people seeking information. I feel better after having joined several on-line forums, support groups where people communicate The "been there, done that" approach from individuals is great, and many times provide contact to care otherwise unknown to you. All done from the comfort of your home. Just like using GW to ask questions . Some get lots of replies and support, some get few. The topic has nothing to do with handicap stalls.
    ...See More

Starting a weight loss support group at church

Q

Comments (3)
    The motivation thing is the most important. Also you need a plan so it won't be just willy-nilly. Example - have a weight-in, a short program sometimes would be good with some brochures you can get from various organizations, then a time to talk after everyone does whatever is in the plan. In other words I think you must have a good structure for it to work. Also, is your church pretty good size? I've never gone to a church I thought was quiet large enough to get one going.
    ...See More

Support group?

Q

Comments (2)
    Hello...yes, you are not alone here! :-) I've been going through it for 2-3 years. Some months worse than others. Last spring went pretty well then in July insomnia again. I've been suffering with it ever since. Cannot sleep for more than 2 hours and some nights that's all I get is 2 hours. It's wearing me down and I worry about the constant fatigue leading to other health issues. I just keep hoping that it will come to an end sooner...rather than later. But it's nice to know I can come here and chat with other women who are in the same place. Might be different symptoms but we're all fighting to keep out sanity through this.
    ...See More

When it turns out you know someone in the support group . . .

Q

Comments (44)
    Thanks everybody. I am going Sunday to the brunch and will gain a true perspective then. Following a passion and all . . . I am a musician, but I'm a bit in the cracks there as well. I do still play in one group in my old town an hour away. The options here are either the really good group where someone pretty much has to die for a spot to open, and the come-all band that has way, way too many folks playing on my instrument. But then these folks don't really socialize outside of the rehearsals, so . . . Tish - thanks for the invite, and you are so correct about the hiking. So. Much. Hiking. And I agree there is potential in some of the other interest groups. But it is a challenge I think with a single mingling with couples (pinkmountain was spot on with that). Maybe not as taboo here in the west as it would have been if I were still back in the South, but not ideally what I was looking for. Single women are my comfort zone at present. Baby steps and all.
    ...See More
  • User
    4 years ago

I thought this morning as I backed out of the drive to head to work about the two families on either side of me -- both multi-generational, and both with elderly people, one with a small child. I wondered if we should perhaps offer to pick up groceries or supplies for them if they become ill, or otherwise just make ourselves available to help as we can. For now, all thoughts of illegal cooking vents have flown out the window and I find myself wanting to help those who may find it difficult to help themselves.

eld6161 thanked User
  • Jilly
    4 years ago

This is a small thing, but I was very proud of my DH last night.

We had run out of hand sanitizer and of course can’t find any online, or the ingredients to make it. All of our stores are out of stock, except last night, one store had six bottles left. He could’ve grabbed them all (limit was 6), but saw two people in the same aisle ... asked them if they were needing it, too. They said yes, they’d been hoping he didn’t take them all, so they split it up ... he got two and they each got two. Of course that was the right thing to do, but I’ve already witnessed very different behavior in the past week.

I like that PAC idea. I’ll absolutely be checking on anyone I can who may need help.

We went to the grocery store early this morning and I was a bit shocked at how empty the shelves were. Again, we got our usual amount of groceries and aren’t hoarding. It won’t help anyone if only some of us have everything.

As for just trying to quell my own anxiety, I’m planting and doing yard work. It’s meditative, soothing, and I’m grateful I’m able to do it. The weather was wonderful last week and it felt great to be outside in the evenings with DH, enjoying a glass of wine and flowers.

eld6161 thanked Jilly
  • just_terrilynn
    4 years ago

Jinx, I PACed with the neighbor who would almost rather die than ask for help. Saying that though, I’m not good at asking for help either. We will make good pac buddies.

eld6161 thanked just_terrilynn
  • hhireno
    4 years ago

Although the sun is shining and it’s 64 degrees, I have that winter-storm-is-coming-urge to bake something. I really do not need to sit around snacking on treats. I have the ingredients, thanks to an always stocked pantry, and the desire, to smother my worries with warm sugar, but I am fighting the urge. I will head out for a walk, instead.

eld6161 thanked hhireno
  • Oakley
    4 years ago

That's a great idea! The CDC said to make sure you have Tylenol/Ibuprophen, Pepto Bismal, Gatorade, and I think a cold medicine.

I also suggest having Robitussin DM, which isn't a cold med but loosens stuff in the chest to help you cough it up.

eld6161 thanked Oakley
  • robo (z6a)
    4 years ago

We are now on a voluntary two week quarantine as we flew on Wednesday. we were going to make a just in case grocery shop tomorrow...too little too late! So now I have to figure out online ordering st the grocery store!! I have cancelled Emmett’s daycare and penny’s walks.

eld6161 thanked robo (z6a)
  • leela4
    4 years ago

Ida I think that is a very appropriate letter, and the whole PAC idea is great.

Our governor (WA state) just announced shutting down all K-12, public and private schools starting the end of Monday and going at least through 4/24. He also is expanding the ban of any gathering over 250 to the whole state.

Considering what is going on in our state I think this is an appropriate response. I just feel for how this will impact many families, in many different ways. Other than the PAC idea, I wish I knew how to help, while still protecting myself (since I am in the "older" category.)

eld6161 thanked leela4
  • pricklypearcactus
    4 years ago

My community is in full swing panic buying. Every store I have been to is completely out of toilet paper. Not a single scrap on the shelves. No serious cleaning supplies. No dried beans or rice left. Almost all the eggs were gone.

My company banded together with other tech companies in the city and closed the office for mandatory work from home for at least two weeks. I'm really proud that my company made this decision. Work can go on, but it protects the employees from potentially spreading the virus unnecessarily. The governor just announced a "soft closure" to schools so I worry about people with school-aged children who do not have the luxury of employment that can be performed remotely. I don't think panic is necessary, but I'm pleased to see communities trying to slow down the spread of this virus.

I'm staying in closer communication with family, especially my parents who are in their late 60s / early 70s. Although they are generally healthy, they've both had colds recently that lingered enough to seek medical attention. They keep saying they're "not like most 60 year olds" so they're not at risk like others. I worry they don't understand that age itself is a factor for how effective the immune system is at fighting these diseases. Our state does have several cases, though we are lucky to not be the hardest hit state. I hope that the state taking precautions now will help keep it from spreading too rapidly or risking vulnerable populations.

eld6161 thanked pricklypearcactus
  • blfenton
    4 years ago

My kids both called separately today offering to do our grocery shopping for us if we need to self-isolate. We will do the same for them.

Friends of ours got back from the US today and we're supposed to have dinner with them tomorrow night. Unfortunately the assisted living where my MIL is living still allows visitors (or fortunately I suppose) so my DH can't be around anyone who has been to the US or he can't visit. Most seniors facilities are in lockdown including my moms, I'm surprised that my MIL's is still open.

eld6161 thanked blfenton
  • mama goose_gw zn6OH
    4 years ago

I had to go to a local real estate office yesterday, to take care of some family business. Keep in mind that I live in a rural area, near a village, and although I've lived in another state during my adulthood, I was born and raised in this area. As I entered the office, I spied an agent who didn't work there, but was just hanging out. We'd attended the same high school--siblings in the same classes, parents knew each other, etc. I laughed and asked if she wanted to fist bump--as she was coming in for the hug. She said, "Oh, noooo", and hugged me anyway. So I hugged back.

I saw another realtor who was there for the transaction--families long-time acquaintances, her mother catered my wedding, she'd been in charge of the guestbook. We'd hugged recently at a friend's funeral, so she smiled and said, "I'll fist bump!" We bumped, and I couldn't resist rubbing her shoulder as I walked by.

In a back office, I signed forms for a title company rep, who made me use his blue ink pen instead of the black one I had in my purse, and who licked his finger to turn pages of the documents. Ick. We thanked each other cordially, but no contact.

As I was leaving, the third realtor--a life-long friend who had brokered the transaction, who I'd dated in HS, and who'd been an usher in my wedding--stuck out his hand. I guess after hearing me offer a fist bump he was being cautious, so we shared a warm handshake. After a few minutes of conversation with everyone in the office, I went straight home and washed my hands thoroughly with soap and water--I don't have sanitizer in the car yet. I do have one unopened bottle in the house, but I'm saving it for DD's car, because she has two children to transport.

No virus cases have been diagnosed in my area--or just haven't been tested--but I know they will be soon. At this time I don't feel particularly anxious about the contact (except spit boy), but this is pretty typical of my outings. It's going to be hard to change the habits of a lifetime and culture.

No more handshakes?

eld6161 thanked mama goose_gw zn6OH
  • eld6161
    Original Author
    4 years ago

This was shared on FB

• Michele
    4 years ago

Ida, you sound like a great neighbor.

I am my mom’s caregiver. She’s 91 and legally blind.

I’m germ conscious anyway. I’ve been that way for a while. Last year especially. First six months I caught one cold after another. I don’t know what that was about. I’m worried

How am I coping. After I catch up on the latest, I stop. I listen to music. Try to walk in the park across the street. (Keeping a safe distance) 🙄. I like to go to the yoga studio here. I didn’t yesterday because of this virus. It’s hard to focus at home.

I’m going to bake something too.

I enjoy some of the threads. The positive ones. I unfollowed hot topics in January. From time to time I check it out. Like now, but I’m not going to get too involved. I find it unhealthy, for me.

eld6161 thanked Michele
  • User
    4 years ago

I think it's important to stay informed (and I'm sorry if the event I mentioned made anyone uncomfortable; it made me furious and it's hard for me mentally rectify it). That said, I don't think it's healthy to absorb the news cycle constantly, but find it vital to step away and turn attention to life-giving pursuits, no matter how seemingly small. I've just put on a big batch of Italian barley soup, which is full of tomatoey goodness. And I'll probably have a cup of tea, do a load of laundry so that our towels are all clean, and go for a treadmill run before the afternoon is over.

I pray we are ALL taking care of our own households and showing concern in tangible ways for those around us. Please consider a monetary donation to your local food pantry today. You can give online in most if not all areas.

eld6161 thanked User
  • cooper8828
    4 years ago

My elderly neighbor was just taken to the hospital. The PT person was at her house, and then the firefighters and the ambulance came. We didn't notice until they were both driving off. We did go talk to the therapy person, and her instructions were to bring the pets to us. We have keys to the house. My husband is over there right now feeding everyone, but is also inventorying the pet supplies. I'll go do a curbside pickup if anything is needed.

We don't have confirmed cases in my area, but I am very worried for her right now. And of course I don't have her daughter's phone number. I think the neighbor thinks I will rat on her when things are not going that well.

eld6161 thanked cooper8828
  • OutsidePlaying
    4 years ago

Among all the cold and flu medications you all are keeping on hand, don’t forget to make sure you have a decent thermometer. DD and all the ER/ED people she knows caution anyone who has symptoms to please stay home and monitor first, then call your primary physician or someone other health care facility before just showing up at an urgent care clinic or ER/ED. This is how viruses get spread. Educate yourself on the symptoms of Covid-19 vs a cold or flu. There are some differences in the cough and the sequence of progression of symptoms.

Our small immediate neighborhood of 4 on our private road has decided to support each other if necessary.

eld6161 thanked OutsidePlaying
  • lascatx
    4 years ago

I was surprised that my son, who said they stocked up, said they were running low on food yesterday. Tiny college apt kitchen and fridge and I don't think either of them really thought about buying more than usual. I'm a bit concerned about them. Also about my neighbor who should be returning from a spring break vacation with her son and his family. I don't know if she will be able to find anything in the stores. I started a loaf of bread for her and I can share some TP. I don't have sanitizer or alcohol to make any.

The worst thing about all of this is I suddenly feel labeled a lot older than I feel -- if that makes sense. DH and I consider ourselves pretty healthy and active, but we are both considered high risk, mainly due to age, and our sons don't want us to even leave the house. We are trying to lay low for a couple of weeks and hoping it doesn't require a lot more than that. I have had medical insurance through my former employer -- got a COBRA notice yesterday -- not even any notice that the insurance was ending. I was supposed to have it until I was 65 and eligible for medicare -- but there was a class action lawsuit and they did a settlement that left a gap, but the date wasn't clear. A rep on the phone said they are extending that 60 days -- if things aren't worse then, it will be the first decent thing they have done in 22 years. The Food Bank is asking for volunteers to pack and hand out quarantine meals -- something I would normally jump to do, but as a higher risk person living with someone even higher risk, I have to think twice and refrain. I can camp out and make do with the best of them, but I feel suddenly older and more vulnerable.

That said -- I have some projects around the house, a living room to paint (have the paint), a closet I have been meaning to clean out. I also have linen to make some towels and fabric and patterns for a couple of quilts. I have bluebirds sitting on eggs in my backyard and monarchs appearing, DH is planting his tomatoes and peppers -- spring is coming and the world is still turning.

eld6161 thanked lascatx
  • lascatx
    4 years ago

Cooper8828, I hope your neighbor is okay. Thank you for taking in her pets.

Ida and Justerrilynn, you are the kind of neighbors I wish there were more of. We have some new families that show promise. :)

• Feathers11
    4 years ago

Cooper8828, yes, that's wonderful you can care for her pets. I'm sure it's a big relief for her to know this.

Lascatx, I hope your insurance issues can be resolved soon. And I know the feeling of realizing you're in a new category of risk. It's certainly made me rethink some things moving forward.

As negative as I can be about the federal administration's response to all this so far, I was rather hopeful after listening to this morning's press conference (notwithstanding some of it, details of which would get my post here banned). And I don't agree with some of the decisions my state officials have made, but I'm trying to be open-minded and understanding that we are in unprecedented times here. There are also so many examples of private individuals and businesses working for the common good. I've learned about this from social media, so, yeah, social media has its moments, too. ;-)

Last week, I had a few nights of very little sleep, and for the past few days, I can tell my body is fighting something (swollen lymph nodes, fatigue, etc.). I'm not sick per se, but I'm self-quarantining and amping up my alternative remedies. A friend of mine is a nurse practitioner with a major healthcare system, and she reiterated the basics of good health--the non-pharmaceutical types--that support our immune systems.

My hope is that this crisis will promote a focus on public health. Our country is on a major downslide health-wise for so many complex reasons. We need a shift. If this crisis has any silver lining, let it be this.

• gsciencechick
    4 years ago

Feathers11, hope you are feeling better soon. Coopers8828, thank you for taking in the pets.

On a good note, I live in a pretty walkable neighborhood, and I just dropped off my bike for a spring tuneup (really, it needs a huge overhaul vs. a minor tuneup) which should be ready Tuesday or Wednesday. There is greenway access near my house where this section was completed last fall, and I will take advantage of the the next three weeks (spring break and two weeks remote instruction) to get outside. Now the weather must cooperate!

I went to the Y yesterday for Spin class. Really thought about that as many of the Y's are crazy on Saturday mornings due to youth programming. BUT they canceled all the Saturday morning youth leagues, so it was empty! This 10:45 Spin gets about 10-15 people at best, and yesterday there were 5 of us in a very large room of 40 bikes, so we were not really concerned as we could all stay well apart. Our instructor told us they are taking off the seats on every other bike to limit the number of participants. They are also doing so with other group fitness classes to limit the number of participants. Yeah, that's gonna go well! (sarcasm). There are some very entitled people at these Y's. So, glad I have the back up plan of walking and the bike. I also ordered some dumbbells and yoga supplies from Amazon for home since the Y said they are taking away all the mats, blocks, straps, and bolsters. Seriously, with all these restrictions , it is probably best to just workout at home.

Since we are teaching remotely, the original plan was to have our building remain open for those people who have to be on campus. But they have decided to close it due to lack of student workers and risk of potential exposure in recreational settings. So, that means we cannot use the workout facilities including the walking track due to liability reasons if the building is closed. We can access the building should we need to, but I'm pretty sure I packed up what i need for grading and teaching during this time.

eld6161 thanked gsciencechick
  • gsciencechick
    4 years ago

And, Feathers11, I agree this crisis has exposed gaps in public health, family and medical leave, sick day coverage, copays and deductibles, and leadership.

eld6161 thanked gsciencechick
  • hhireno
    4 years ago

I made waffles this morning and texted my sister that Weight Watchers will probably see an increase in traffic, once this crisis passes, due to all the carb feasting. She called it the COvid 15. 😆

eld6161 thanked hhireno
  • Sueb20
    4 years ago

I bought pop tarts. The large box.

eld6161 thanked Sueb20
  • hhireno
    4 years ago

I saw a meme that had

Coronavirus tip:

Wash your hands like you got a club stamp you don’t want your Mom to see.

eld6161 thanked hhireno
  • lascatx
    4 years ago

Feathers11 -- Thank you.

• robo (z6a)
    4 years ago

Two weeks working from home with a clingy toddler. had my first taste f it tonight trying frantically to accommodate a new employee who is showing up to a virtually empty office tomorrow. While toddler is screaming in my ear.

On the plus side it’s been nice enough to do quite a bit of outdoor play!

eld6161 thanked robo (z6a)
  • lizbeth-gardener
    4 years ago

Robo, He is adorable and love that he always has Penny with him-they must be good buds!

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH