SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jv197

What kind of rug/mat for the kitchen to catch drips?

jv197
4 years ago

My dishwasher is in the kitchen island, and the sink is not. Thus, every time I move dishes from the sink to the dishwasher, I drip all over the floor. I figured this would be easy to handle with a rug or mat of some sort, but I'm having some trouble due to the relatively large (about 3 x 5 feet would be perfect) area I need to cover between the sink and the (open) dishwasher door. I figure my options are:

1) A large padded anti-fatigue mat. But I'm having trouble finding much of anything in that size, and when I do, it's either industrial and ugly, overly expensive ($200+), or both. Also the existing one that we have basically absorbs water into the foam, which I definitely do not want.

2) Some sort of machine-washable (cotton?) rug. Easy to find in that size and should be fine absorbing the drips of water (and drying on its own), but it just seems a little strange to have that in the kitchen as a "drip-catcher."

Is there a solution I'm not thinking of? If not, which of the above would be preferable? Any specific recommendations on what to buy? I'd ideally be looking for something closer to $50 or so, in a pretty neutral (maybe gray) color.

Thank you!

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Fine Designs & Interiors, Ltd.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Columbus Leading Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2014-2022