SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
prairiemoon2

The inactivity on Gardenweb

prairiemoon2 z6b MA
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

I'm pretty amazed at how little activity there is here. Enough so, that I gave it some serious thought over the weekend. I wondered about something. It used to be that if I had a question or wanted to look up something garden related, that I would do a browser search and most of the first 3 or 4 pages would be links to discussions on Gardenweb. So I tested that out. And it was an Aha! moment. On DuckDuckGo - my browser of choice, there were no links to Gardenweb on several garden related searches. On Google there was one on the first page. That is pretty telling.

That made me think back to the transfer from Gardenweb when it was an independent site to Houzz. And I speculate that when Houzz bought GW, I don't think they were really interested in gardening. I think they had other reasons for wanting GW. Look at the way they did not even add any reference to Gardenweb on their front page or in any of the headings. It became a very invisible addition to Houzz, like just another subset of forums. It's quite possible that they really were hoping for another audience for Houzz forums.

Then we went through so many adjustments trying to use the site and fit in here. Way too many technical problems, and complaints that haven't often felt like they got as much attention as people would have liked.

Now that I realize that there seems to be no effort being made to see that Gardenweb discussions end up on the front page of search engines, it might explain why there has been a lack of new users.

So I thought I'd throw that out there and see if I am off track or missing something. I'm not trying to resurrect old complaints, just found it kind of shocking how absent Gardenweb is on any browsers and coupled with the fact it is not even given any heading on the Houzz site, it's almost like Gardenweb has disappeared from public view. Any thoughts?

Comments (66)