SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lynnnm

Int'l Womens' Day: Thoughts on Being - and Nurturing - Strong Women

LynnNM
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

This morning my sweet DD posted these on Facebook. And with them, she wrote this, which touched my heart immensely.

"The day dedicated to gender equality and the strength of women wouldn't be complete without a huge S/O to my amazing Momma. Every single princess story I was read ended with 2 things: 1.The princess told the prince that she didn't need him to save her, she could save herself. 2.That they couldn't get married until after she went to college. Yes in my magical princess world, Cinderella went to medical school. When I learned how to read I thought pages had fallen out of my books, and I'm pretty sure that I told a few of my teachers that their versions were wrong. But I will be forever thankful to my mom for instilling these important values in me at a young age, I will definitely be doing the same for my daughter."

Yes, I did change all of those Disney Princess stories for her. And, yes, she did tell several teachers that their books had the wrong endings (LOL)! But, DD will be turning 26 y/o later this month and back then there weren't a lot - if any- stories for little girls about strong young women role models. And so, my Cinderella went to med school, Belle became a Librarian, Snow White became a kindergarten teacher, Ariel became a social worker for kids (and kid sea creatures), and Sleeping Beauty went on to become a lawyer. I was thrilled when "Ever After: A Cinderella Story" with Drew Barrymore came out in 1998. Finally a strong role model for girls . . . not to mention a wonderful movie!

These days, I'm so happy to see Disney and other film makers creating better movies with strong role models for our daughters and granddaughters. And, I'm very, very happy to see how women -and men- are empowering women so much more now. We're stronger. More equal in the work place. And finally with salaries!

I didn't raise my daughter to believe that some "knight in shining armor", or with a cute face and a nice line would "save her" or make her life better or complete. I raised a strong woman who could and did do it for herself! She went on to get a double Masters and is now a clinical mental health counselor nurturing and counseling other women to be stronger, more independent and to make better life decisions. I'm so darn proud of her!

From the sounds of our posts, we are ALL strong women here and we should be so proud that we're raising a new generation who are even stronger! And, so Happy International Womens' Day to us all!!

Comments (13)