SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
billyk72

Need Help with My Crepe Myrtle!

4 years ago

I know it's a little hard to see in the photo below b/c the crepe myrtle is still being protected from the local deer population. I planted it two years ago. It's about 4' tall. I am in the mid-Atlantic area and it's early in the season.

The first year, it bloomed beautifully. The second year, it did not produce any new growth from the existing branches. New branches near the bottom started to sprout, and there were plenty of new suckers at the very bottom, which I completely removed. Last Fall it looked pretty bad. All of the branches you see in this photo remained totally bare.

Ultimately, I'd like to groom this into a tree with a few main trunks, I don't want a bush/shrub.

Now that it's early in the season, do I cut everything back? How do I encourage new growth on the existing branches? Is that even possible? I know I'll need to select the 3 or so main trunks at some point, but I'd sure like to see this tree have some nice growth for one season before I cut back to just a few trunks.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

-bk

Comments (25)

• 4 years ago

"The second year, it did not produce any new growth from the existing branches........Last Fall it looked pretty bad. All of the branches you see in this photo remained totally bare."

Bare branches all season generally mean dead branches. Can you confirm it is even still alive? If it is and the existing branches do not product any new growth again, then your only choice is to cut them back and the let one or more of the suckers take over. Or remove and replace.

It would also be helpful to know what cultivar it is. Not all crapes are inclined to grow or be trained into a tree-like form.

billyk72 thanked gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
  • 4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Much closer pictures needed for anybody here to be able to get anything out of them. And give specific answers that will be of use to you.

billyk72 thanked Embothrium
  • Related Discussions

Muskogee Crepe Myrtle Looks Dead Need Help!

Q

Comments (13)
    I don't think mine is alive...Planted it at about 6 feet tall 2 summers ago...came out of dormancy and bloomed beautifully last summer...I'll wait a bit longer! I will buy another and try again! This past winter was exceptionally harsh so hopefully we won't have another like that any time soon! I love the Muskogee...but does anyone have any thoughts on perhaps the pink ones are heartier? Everyone in my neighborhood has white or pink which is why I went with the purple! lol...appreciate any feedback! :)
    ...See More

Crepe Myrtle needs some help

Q

Comments (8)
    I guess that would depend on the variety and the climate. If they are growing back from the rootstock, I would assume they will be alright unless I saw other signs of problems. The fact that you are around Atlanta AND they are 6-7 years old, does make me start to wonder, but without further issues, I would still have to think normal dieback from a cold winter. I don't know what Atlanta's winter was like, but I know here it was a little colder than usual here in Knoxville (compared to other winters of this decade anyway).
    ...See More

Image Heavy! Need Help with Bay Area crepe myrtle

Q

Comments (5)
    They're fine, at least that's how mine look. They don't have that dramatic fall coloration and leaf drop like they do in more temperate regions (like all other decidious trees here). They tend to slowly begin to yellow, then the leaves become ratty and dried like the picture shows. Eventually (around this time) a hard rain knocks the leaves off or i'll go out and shake the tree (since it's right outside a window and looks terrible like that). Depending on what part of the bay area, that myrtle could be in a milder place than mine, and that's why it's still holding on to leaves.
    ...See More

Help with my Natchez Crepe Myrtle?

Q

Comments (1)
    I staked one once. It did help. Removed the stake a year or three later.
    ...See More
  • 4 years ago

Hey GardenGal - thanks for the quick response.

Regarding if the branches are still alive, last year I gently scratched a few of the branches closer to the top and they were green right under the thin bark. Not sure if that's the best way to check however.

The tree was producing lots of new suckers late into the Fall last year, along with new growth very low on some existing branches. So I am quite sure it's still alive.

I don't know what cultivar it is. Not sure how I'd be able to determine that easily.

• 4 years ago

Get close to your tree and take pictures of the twigs and buds, if any. It's impossible to see any important details in these photos. But as GG said, if there were no leaves all year there's not much hope. What happens if you try to break off a twig? Does it snap easily and dryly or bend? If it snaps it's dead.

billyk72 thanked floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
  • 4 years ago

Thanks! To be clear, there was growth last season. The growth was from near the bottom of the branches - new small branches, and lots of suckers. So, I believe it to be quite alive. I will check for brittle branches.

I will attach a few more pictures, but with the deer netting up, it's hard to see a lot of detail. I'll also try to shoot down over the netting maybe that will help.

• 4 years ago

• 4 years ago

So far what it sounds like is that it froze back.

• 4 years ago

Thanks!

Just read-up a bit on "freezing back" on crepe myrtles. Very well-documented. One thing that resonated immediately is that if the temps go very low, and they can around here, that all the growth may be at the bottom of the tree - which is what I observed last year.

Need to do more reading...

• 4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Marginally hardy plants placed out in the open like that are likely to have more trouble than if they were given a sheltered position, against a warm sunny wall. (Or a shady wall, in the case of those kinds of broad-leaved evergreens that are liable to burn up when sun hits them while they are still frozen).

• 4 years ago

So, what's the recommended plan?

Do I watch to see if there's new growth at the middle or top of the existing trunks/branches?

What if there's only growth near the bottom of the existing trunks/branches?

Do I cut all of those trunks/branches off if there's no sign of new growth on them?

Is this the right time of year to attend to this type of pruning?

Lots of questions. Hope you folks don't mind!

Thanks for your help!

-bk

• 4 years ago

If a branch is dead it serves no purpose and and be cut off at any time. Just cut away anything which doesn't leaf out.

billyk72 thanked floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
  • 4 years ago

Wait until it sprouts later this spring and then cut off the dead sections above the sprouts. And if it keeps dying back down each winter then give up on it. Or try moving it to a sheltered, sunny nook if you have one. Do this latter at the end of winter, before the new shoots start to appear.

• 4 years ago

Great advice folks.

I'll follow it.

-bk

• PRO
    4 years ago

I think you're overly worried. In growing the tree form crape, it's not difficult to turn them from a lump of coal into a diamond, even if they've been neglected for a number of years. The first step is forming a vision of the finished product so you have something concrete to work toward. In that, I question if the 3 or 4-pronged tree is really the pinnacle of beauty that some seem to think. IMO, the best look is as a giant bouquet and having very few trunks for that looks sorely on the skimpy side. I would be shooting for 10-15 or so, uniformly arranged and splayed so that they are coming up and outward, for a much fuller look.

With slow growth, the first question to ask is if you've given the plant any fertilizer at the beginning of the season (as soon as they start to leaf out) and again about midway through. I've seen novices apply fertilizer all within a 3" circumference of the trunk.... where it would reach very few feeder roots and be just a waste. It needs to be applied in at least as big of a circle as the branch spread. After fertilizer, the next thing that will help stagnant growth is supplemental water. At least once per week if you don't get a good rain. These two things alone can make an incredible difference in a young plant's growth rate.

Regardless of the form your after, if you just mainly focus on growth -- even if it is in the wrong place -- the plant will ultimately do fine. I would stop cutting off suckers, as these are just developing and maintaining more little food factories (leaves). Suckers are also the source of potential future trunks. Later, after the plant is growing well, you can decide which ones to keep and which to get rid of. In many instances, I've come across neglected crapes that are just large scraggly bushes. I've found that the best solution is to cut them to the ground. With their already large root systems, they rebound quickly to nearly their original height, but the trunks are also generally automatically well arranged and well spaced. Around them are also a bunch of twiggy growth that can be removed at the end of summer. Once the remaining main trunks are limbed up, suddenly it's a handsome tree.

billyk72 thanked Yardvaark
  • 4 years ago

Wow Yardvaark - I really appreciate this insight. Thanks!

• 3 years ago

Well, I'm back! I got awesome advice a few months ago when I first posted about my Crepe Myrtle.

To summarize, this Crepe really seemed to die back over the winter. It's now coming back really well, but there seems to be branches that are not supporting any new growth. I'd like to create a tree with maybe 3-5 trunks. Given the growth shown in these photos, is there any pruning that I should do this time of year? I live in the Mid-Atlantic area.

Thanks in advance for your help!

-bjk

• PRO
    3 years ago

It is always safe to trim off dead wood, and for appearance sake you should do it. It is no more harmful to the tree than trimming your fingernails is to you.

The look the crape has is that it has suffered cold damage ... but that it lives in spite of it. If that's the case, it should still flower fine as soon as it grows out. BTW, this is the time of year to apply the first dose of fertilizer so do that if you haven't already done so. Distribute it in a 4' diameter circle for this size plant ... a handful or two of granular 10-10-10 or similar.

I wouldn't cut off any of the growing portion, including what's coming from the bottom. Those are all potential trunks, so more to choose from when eventually selecting the finished form. Again, I mention that I don't think 3 or 4 trunks makes a very substantial or commanding tree form as does somewhere between 10 - 15. To my thinking, a crape looks best as a giant bouquet and a 3 stem bouquet looks skimpy on the stems. If you grow that many and think it's too much, you can always cut off. But you can't wish for more to be added to a skimpy tree without doing a whole lot of waiting.

And all the growth the plant is producing is potential leaves, thus they'll produce more food for the roots, and therefore, more growth. Be patient. At the end of the summer, after everything has formed for the year and you can see what you have to work with, you can start cutting to create the trunk structure that appeals to you. You'll be able to see which are the strongest trunks, and where trunks are located. Then you can pick and choose the ones that appeal to you with your vision of the final form in mind.

• 3 years ago

Thanks again Yardvaark. I appreciate the sage advice and it gives me hope for this tree. I will fertilize it today, trim the dead/unproductive portions of the branches, and we'll see where it goes this Summer.

• PRO
    3 years ago

"... we'll see where it goes this Summer." Yes, show to us again at the end of summer.

• 3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Well, it's the end of Summer! My Crepe Myrtle has really taken off in the past few months. Until a few days ago, it had 2-3x more foliage than you can see below, before an apparent visit from the family of deer that lives on my property. I put Bobbex on it for the time being, and it'll be behind fencing sometime in the Fall. It previously had blossoms on most of the top branches.

Got another question, if I may...
    I've noticed that my Crepe Myrtle grows new shoots from the bottom that sprout leaves, and new shoots that grow from existing branches, and those shoots grow leaves as well. Not much, or any leaves growing from existing branches. If the only branches that grow leaves are new sprouts, how do I prune it? I know there's a thing called "Crepe Murder", where owners just cut off everything above a point - doesn't sound like a good idea. I can only guess that these things are related.

Thanks in advance for your continued help with this tree!
    -bk

• 3 years ago

All ideas are welcome!

• 3 years ago

Thanks Yardvaark.

I put fencing around the tree a little later in the season. Given the fact that I've already got some deer damage, I plan to put up the fencing soon. I'll use Bobbex until then.

I have many beautiful Crape Myrtles in my neighborhood, so I think I've got a shot with it. I am still not sure how to prune it for better growth next year. It did grow out considerably this Summer. I take that as a good sign.

• 3 years ago

The first picture (in your last set) sure looks to be something browsing on your tree.

The taller branch (that deer can't reach) is the best looking with flowers. :-)

billyk72 thanked User
  • 3 years ago

Right! You should have seen this Crepe Myrtle a few weeks ago. It was teaming with buds/flowers.

Are there any good websites/references that you folks would suggest that will offer the best info on how to best prune this tree?