SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wantonamara

Going Off the NO Gardening Wagon.

wantonamara Z8 CenTex
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

Over a year ago, I stopped gardening because I was building and I had to give it up. I can not do just a little gardening. I have an addictive personality, so I cold turkeyed it. I walked away from a vegetable garden. I walked away from everything. I have killed a lot. I am still building but at a slower pace.....and it is spring. I can not help myself. I am slipping off the wagon.

The winter was very dry here and we ran out of water in our rain water cisterns TWICE!!!! so there was no watering all summer, fall and winter. I am 100% dependent on Rainwater harvesting for all my needs. I was amazed when I walked past the vegetable garden and saw that it was full of volunteer Crawford Lettuce, Celtuce , Lambs quarters and poppies. The poppies are just about to bloom . I did a bunch of weeding and thinning and I put in 5 tomatoes, and planted some Red Hmong Cucumbers, Suyo Long Cucumbers, Tatume Squash, And some Zucchini Rampante Squash and rattlesnake green beans. I had bought the seeds over a year ago before I cold turkeyed. It was hard pulling some of the poppies to make room. for them, but I did . Still plenty left. I will pull more when I plant the 4 types of green beans. It should be a colorful garden this year. Thank you Ragna for the lettuce seed. They are tough. I will show more photos as my garden heals. It is a mess. I really did walk away.

My next step is to attack my cactus garden and other areas that are over run with a low invasive and burr clover , some annual weed grass. I need to weed and weed and weed forever to catch up.

Comments (6)