SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gw_oakley

It's time for a new GTKY!

Oakley
4 years ago

You know the drill.

1. What are you wearing? Describe in detail, please.

2. What was the last thing you ate?

3. What did you do today? Details, please.

4. What brought you here to GW/Houzz the first time?

5. What was the worst job you ever had?

6. What was the coolest (hip, groovy) job you ever had?

7. Have you ever been in a car accident and it was your fault?

8. Have you physically hurt yourself lately? If so, what did you do, you klutz?

9. Has anything angered you lately? Just little personal things, not world happenings.

10. When people come to you for help, what do they usually want help with?

11. What’s something you like to do the old-fashioned way?

Comments (35)

• Oakley
    Original Author
    4 years ago

My forest green John Lennon tee shirt with a drawing of him and the words, "You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one." "Dreamer," get it? Pink polka dot jammy bottoms, pink Yalox house shoes. And peach colored knickers.

Chicken salad sandwich on white bread, these awful sour cream potato chips DH bought, and diet Orange soda followed by water followed by coffee. Thin slice of DH's late grandma's pound cake.

I should sleep good tonight because I, trimmed branches to get ready to hang Humming bird feeders and trimmed other trees just because it's fun. Washed feeders. Washed my bedroom windows inside and out so I could see the Hummers. Spent 20 minutes trying to get the dam Windex bottle that fell behind the bed which is under the windows. Paid bills. Hand washed some of the UR floor because of the two dam'd non-stop horse's drool. Washed hair. Washed the vacuum cleaner filters. Played my game on the iPad, read more of "Forever Amber" which has to be the funnest & most interesting book I've ever read. Almost 1,000 pages!

A friend told me about GW when we were getting ready to remodel back in 2009.

5. What was the worst job you ever had? In college I had a part time job at a Roy Rogers (now defunct) hamburger place, kind of like McDonalds. I was required to say, "Happy trails!" when a customer was leaving. A hot guy came in that I knew and I refused to say it and I got in trouble. A day or two later I was taking the fries out of the grease to flip over onto the tray under the hot lights, but the basket accidentally hit the lights that broke all over the fries. Went home for lunch, they called to say not to come back. Good thing, that's when I was hired at the OU School of Business, best job ever.

During the summer of my 16th year my mom got me a great paying job as a Pepsi Girl working in a booth in downtown Tulsa, passing out free Pepsi. I'd get paid then go shop.

Sorta, and it could have been tragic. I had ADHD which wasn't diagnosed until a few years ago, which explains what happened. My boyfriend, my BFF and I were driving around in his VW when I got a wild hair and decided my boyfriend needed to change lanes, so I yanked the steering wheel to do it, without any warning to him. Yeah, I really did that. We went in circles on a 4 lane hwy several times until the VW came to a stop. No one was hurt thank goodness but we had 3 flat tires and I got some really dirty looks. We eventually laughed about it later. Much later.

Last night I was walking down the dark hallway, not paying attention as usual, when my I walked smack dab into a corner where the hallway turns, and hit the very sharp corner of the bead bead board. It busted open my forearm and gave me one of those big bloody spots under the skin. It's fine though.

9. Has anything angered you lately? Just little personal things, not world happenings.

Why yes, thanks for asking! Tuesday morning I got hit with a virus that knocked me off my feet, and was also sick on Wed, but now it's gone. That morning DH asked if I wanted to go to the store with him and I said no because I didn't feel well. His reply was, okay, I'll be back in a bit, and never asked what was wrong or if I was better. The next day I replied to a late text with one of my DIL's apologizing for being late to answer because I got sick. She replied and no mention of my illness. No one loves me. :(

If you watched "Everybody Loves Raymond" well, I'm Marie Barone. Everybody comes to me with their little secrets. ;)

Sex and using a landline telephone, one in every room.

• bpath
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Slip-on Sperry sneakers (my usual “indoor shoes”), socks, black jeans, white tee, blue sweater thingy, assymetrical and swingy.

Triscuits and Chardonnay. I’m such a gourmet.

After getting DS to and from class, spent the afternoon with mom at her memory care. We had lunch, went to Songs by Heart, had a cup of coffee, visited the various sunrooms on her floor. She recognized me two out of three times (though not by name), and sang along with all the songs at song time. If you are looking for a care facility for a loved one, Songs by Heart is a great program to see in place. This evening DH and I watched a few episodes of “Barry”. Love Bill Hader.

Around the turn of the millennium, we had bought a single family house and I was looking for tips for landscaping and repairing, using that new-fangled Google thing or somesuch. All the best information was at “That Home Site!”. I finally just started hanging out there, and it migrated to GardenWeb then Houzz. Was there an iVillage stage in there?

I was at a company with a terrible office culture. No one spoke to one another. Everyone had a small private office, with our backs to the door. A high manager walked through at 5:00 to see who was still there. One day, I was going with my manager to see vendors all afternoon. I turned off my computer and my office lights. She told me to turn them back on, lest everyone think I was gone and not working. Really? Really. Mice ate my muffin I left IN my desk drawer overnight, right through the Baggie. Within a week of starting, I was planning my exit strategy.

Cool? Hip? Groovy? Not me! Although, it was fun working summers at an amusement park: I was a theater usher so I got to work inside in the AC for part of the day, and watch talented performers. Ooh, I know: I was working as a temp, and one day I was one of a few young women driving the “beer carts” around the course for some big company’s golf outing. “Oh, and wear shorts.” Oh well, it was a fun afternoon just the same, easiest temp job ever. I’d never been hired as a sex object before — or since! Lol

Yes. All people were fine. The other car was fine. Our Civic coupe took extensive repair, then we drove it another 7 years.

Ha ha. It’s been a good coupla weeks. Don’t jinx it.

I’m the trustee for my parents’ house. Every now and then (mostly now) I get SO ANGRY that they didn’t move 10 years ago. Wait, 14 years ago (it was a sellers’ market).

A ride. Our minivan must be super-cool.

Watch tv. I like to watch a show when it is scheduled to air.

• Related Discussions

It's time for new rugs

Q

Comments (6)
    Definitely NOT wool in a bathroom. I'd put an indoor/outdoor rug in a bathroom. You want one that dries quickly when it gets wet and won't trap water underneath it thereby creating mold and damaging the floor. Plow & Hearth has a very nice selection of indoor/outdoor rugs. Also, the problem with a wool rug in a bathroom isn't so much wet feet, per se. For instance, an authentic Oriental, i.e.: wool, silk, etc., works fine in front of an entry door, where it can get wet. The problem is that the AIR in bathrooms is damp, and bathroom floors tend tone tile, so when they get wet, they stay wet, etc. It's the saturation of dampness in a bathroom that makes natural fibers difficult for bathrooms.
    ...See More

New format: It's about time!

Q

Comments (6)
    Change can be hard sometimes. Explore some of the features and have fun with it. You can setup a personal avatar & home page, follow the posts from people that you like to read most often, etc. Give a thumbs up or bookmark something you agree with. Better/faster search capabilities alone are worth whatever learning curve we may encounter.
    ...See More

New GTKY Kickstart

Q

Comments (52)
    1. GW member? Since 2007. I found this site while googling reviews of Dacor ovens. I had to switch my login name a few years back when I discovered that my neighbor lurked here and repeated my comments to other neighbors. I never said anything that I regretted but I found her actions a little creepy. 2. Coffee. With Skim Plus Fat Free half n half. 3. What color is your bedroom? Right now it's primed and awaiting our decision on color. 4. Coziest or most relaxing room? My family room with a gas Jotul stove. Good for cuddling, watching TV or reading. 5. Do you garden as well as decorate? I garden and pay someone to help me decorate. 6. Does your décor extend to your outdoor space? It's more like my indoor space is influenced by my outdoors. 7. Fresh or artificial? I grow orchids and there are more than 30 spread throughout the house. When they're blooming I bring them to a more prominent location. Even now after one of the coldest months we've had I have six blooming. 8. Where did/do you splurge in your home? And for yourself? We splurge by purchasing what we want. We research first and then buy - it might be the 2 Sub Zeros in the kitchen or a vintage rug in the foyer. But it could equally be something we found at the local Habitat for Humanity store or at an out of the way 'antique' furniture store that we stumbled upon while on a drive. We look for quality first and then value. For myself? I usually let DH handle those splurges but I did just buy a vintage Hermes scarf - it was a limited release and had a special meaning for me. 9. Lip gloss, lipstick or chapstick? Only chapstick if need. Favorite comfort food? Must I limit it to one? Oh well. Mac and Cheese. What’s for lunch/dinner/next meal? We're having homemade minestrone soup tonight and salad. We had to cancel dinner reservations due to the treacherous ice.
    ...See More

It's time for a new shed! Paint time, whats your vote?

Q

Comments (31)
    OMG that's what we got too! I'm really glad to hear that you had a good experience. I was a little worried going through Home Depot, but they were offering such a great deal, it was just too hard to pass up. Tuff Shed has a local warehouse center located by one of my clients, so I did some hard comparisons between the warehouse's retail product and the one they offer through Home Depot. The warehouse told me that the Tuff Sheds sold at Home Depot are made of the exact same materials and by the same crew as the regular warehouse sheds. The warehouse sheds come with some slight differences like added radiant protection from the sun but other than that, the only real difference is that Home Depot didn't want to offer the stronger warranties that they offer on theirs, but the difference in price was almost double. Yep, thats the barn we looked at, only in the 10x12. We really loved how open it was, it literally felt larger than the ranch style in the same size. In order to get an open feel in the ranch we opted for the 12/6 pitched roof and then we got the upgraded eaves so it would match the house. At first we were going to get the loft, but I saw a ranch style online with one built in and half of it wasn't really functional because of the roof. After that, we decided to change it to two 16" shelves along the back wall instead. So I see you got several windows! I love that! it looks so nice! My husband didn't want any windows but I couldn't resist having at least one. I really wanted to add transom windows to the doors, but we were already over budget. The ramp is what really killed us, but we had to have it for the riding mower. So did you paint or did they? And where is your metal foundation? I just know we will end up having to add some of the pavers under ours, the ground isn't too wonky, but it's still is off a tad. I figure we can build up the landscape around it afterwards. The guy told us to put pea gravel and limestone under it and critters will avoid it like the plague so we're doing that this weekend. Wow, you sure have a nice spot, very pretty, your house looks so majestic sitting there. I think we would have set ours back on our lot some too if we weren't storing yard and snow stuff in it. Way in the back by the property line we have another old shed, but its in terrible shape and wasn't worth restoring. It's mini barn we plan on tearing down this summer. I'm so tickled you had pictures! And thanks so much for posting them! That sounds like so much fun with the boats. When we lived in Louisiana, we lived on the river and boated all the time. Our neighbor even had a cool houseboat. Michigan is the state of lakes, they are everywhere so boating is a popular pass time for a lot of folks here.
    ...See More
  • cawaps
    4 years ago

Black jersey knee-length skirt, teal tunic with, pink bathrobe (it's cold in the house)

Pesto tortellini frozen dinner

I worked from home to get some peace and quiet. I had 3 meetings; one informal networking with another group, one a information-sharing brown bag, and one about a project. I visited a cabinet showroom to get samples. And then I came home and worked on the stuff that fell on my plate in the last meeting of the day.

One of the moms at my daughter's preschool (daughter is 15 now) recommended the site. She was doing a gut remodel of a house, and I was planning a kitchen remodel that never happened.

I had a job in the cafeteria at college. I enjoyed it up until the semester when I got a new college-age boss who was a complete jackass.

I don't think I've ever had a job that would count as cool.

Oh, yeah. Nothing major, but at least three fender-benders.

I have a painful 3-inch scratch on my index finger I got trying to get my cat to let go of my shirt.

Multiple drivers annoyed me as I was driving around for my errands today. Not paying attention, not yielding when they were supposed to.

My ex asks for help with finances.

I can't really think of anything. I'm not sure there is a new-fashioned way to do some of the things I do, so I don't think that counts.

• Oakley
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Aw thanks, bpath. I know they love me but still...

Cawaps, #5, aren't they the worst? I used to watch Roseanne and she did a show about working for a little "punk." It was hilarious. I feel your pain with your scratch, keep an eye on it so it doesn't get infected. Give the cat a rub on the neck for me. :)

• eld6161
    4 years ago

Jean shorts and a gray tee shirt

Chicken

Walked the dog, load of laundry, load of dishes, supermarket

I was in a panic trying to find a backsplash for my new kitchen renovation.

A telephone/reception job

It’s the one I still do. I work for a market research company doing the sensory research. Not at all like the consumer research that most of you are familiar with.

More like fender benders. Two in my own driveway and one in a parking lot.

Yes! I tripped and twisted my ankle.

my DH

It varied

Oatmeal

• gsciencechick
    4 years ago

Still in my Zumba clothes. I have on black long-sleeve 1/4 zip and my sugar skulls leggings. New balance sneakers.

DH made a frittata for breakfast (like an omelette with potatoes). Had that when I came home from Zumba.

Went to Zumba, did some online grading, online grocery order submitted, washing towels.

I think we were updating our bathrooms and kitchen.

Had a few where supervisors were total jerks. Thank goodness that was all a long time ago. At least they were just jerks and no sexual harassment.

I did my undergraduate internship at a spa resort. I took the clients on walks, bike rides, and I taught aerobics and pool classes.

Long time ago in my first car, I had a minor fender bender, and yes, it was my fault.

I sometimes sit with not the best posture on the sofa (like now) and then wonder why my back is stiff.

More the world/national stuff, unfortunately. But then again, our wireless sometimes cuts out and that's a little frustrating.

That's easy. Students come see me for help with their classwork or schedule.

Home made dutch apple pie, though I do use the Pillsbury refrigerated crust.

• bpath
    4 years ago

Gcience, those are your Zumba pants? Cute! (By #3, I thought your list was “how many ways can I fit Zumba into my list?” Lol)

• blfenton
    4 years ago

I;m still in my running gear, black MEC tights, MEC navy blue long-sleeved shirt, light-weight light blue vest and I did have on my red rain jacket and my pink hat with grey gloves.

1. What was the last thing you ate?

I just finished breakfast and had two slices of cranberry sourdough toast with swiss cheese and avocado inside and a cup of coffee

1. What did you do today? Details, please.

All I've done today is gone for a nice long trail run with my running buddies.

We were redoing our kitchen and found the Kitchen Forum in 2009 and then just started wondering to other places

1. What was the worst job you ever had?

I worked in the hospital between in the summer before grade 12 thinking I wanted to be a nurse. If I hadn't done that I would have made the biggest mistake in my life. I hated that job.

1. What was the coolest (hip, groovy) job you ever had.

Although it was by no means cool people are always surprised that I worked at McDonalds during my first two years of college. I worked on the grill when that was a "man's" job.

1. Have you ever been in a car accident and it was your fault?

Yes, I was turning left out of a parking lot and the car parked on the street on the left was a van and he was parked right to the curb of the entrance. I couldn't see around him and took a chance and t-boned a car. Fortunately no one was in the passenger seat. I was on my way to a funeral and was perhaps not paying as close attention as I should.

1. Have you physically hurt yourself lately? If so, what did you do, you klutz?

Nope, knock on wood.

1. Has anything angered you lately? Just little personal things, not world happenings

In the short term I would say no. In the long term my MIL - I could write a book but won't.

1. When people come to you for help, what do they usually want help with.

Just listening. People know I don't gossip and nor do I tell secrets.

1. What’s something you like to do the old-fashioned way?

Probably I lot of things - I prefer to talk on the phone instead of email. I can't text as I don't have a cell phone.

OT Oh bother - I just looked outside and it's snowing. It snowed last year on my DH's birthday and it looks like again this year and this is really late for us.

I don't know why, but everything is numbered #1 and I can't fix it.

• dedtired
    4 years ago

for some reason I am freezing even those it’s not so cold. Black turtleneck, black jeans, blacks socks, black clogs and a pink fleece. No bra cause my doctor said so.

a green lifesaver, no a red lifesaver, no a purple lifesaver.

Got up, made coffee, drank coffee with cereal and b,ueberries, drove mom to hairdresser ( most hated chore), put gas in car, went to CVS, went to Whole Foods, picked Mom up, checked her mail, came home and ate a chicken sandwich for lunch.

looking for info about my dying rhododendrons

I worked for a small public relations firm that was owned by two of the nastiest people you’d ever want to meet. Stuck it out for a year, I don’t know why.

Waitress at the cool place on the boardwalk on Ocean City Nj. all the lifeguards hung out there. so fun.

Yes, the worst when I hit a patch of ice and the car spun around and hit a utility pole. More recently I backed out of my driveway into the side of a neighbors car.

Not self inflicted but I have a tooth that is aching. Couldn’t get a dental appointment until Wednesday. Hurts!

Ha ha, everything. Stuff just gets under my skin. Usually something the neighbors do.

IDK. A ride? Donate food for a fundraiser party? A shoulder to cry on or a sympathetic ear?

Read real hardback books borrowed from the library.

• gsciencechick
    4 years ago

bpath, Yep, those are the leggings I have on! I just love this particular instructor and it puts me in a great mood the whole day. I generally alternate with Zumba or Spin depending on who is teaching when.

Oakley, hope you are feeling better!! You know WE care.

Oakley thanked gsciencechick
  • LynnNM
    4 years ago

-Skinny, kind of acid-washed jeans, navy flats (with lots of cushioning since we have brick floors!), and a cream colored pullover sweater. I’m going to attempt to make homemade bagels in just a minute!

- DH made breakfast for us this morning: his almond meal pancakes studded with fresh blueberries, an egg over easy, (turkey) bacon and coffee (I love that he's such a great cook!)

- Ate breakfast. Helped DH do the dishes. I’ve finally have had contact with our DS. We were messaging back and forth for a bit. He's at a “hot wings festival", so I guess that he's feeling better and doesn't have corona!

I can't remember, it was a long time ago, though.

- Scrubbing for a plastic surgeon in the Ft. Lauderdale area back when I was still single. For almost two years he drove me crazy making passes at me! And, back then there really was no place to lodge a complaint. He finally let me go because I wouldn't go to bed with him. I should have quit sooner, but the pay was great and I loved my work.

- Working as a decorator

- No

- I was running down our long bedroom hall to answer the front door when our little Tibetan Spaniel ran right in front of me. I did a semi-cartwheel, bouncing off our HARD adobe wall and then our equally HARD brick floor. I was bruised all down my right side for 2 weeks after, and could hardly walk for over a week.

- Yes, that a colt was hit and killed in our village by some da## speeding driver! Poor baby! Everyone locally knows that we have wild mustangs that wander down our roads and through our properties all the time!

- Advice, comfort, or decorating help

- Just taking time to stop and smell the roses and enjoy and appreciate the little things in life along the way.

• jojoco
    4 years ago

Jeans, duck boots, a gray cotton cable sweater.

I’m into my juicer again so I made a concoction with Romain lettuce, carrots apples, pears, ginger, lemon and clementines. Not sure if it’s really all that healthy, but it was very tasty. Not very photogenic though – – Ugh—It looks like Pondwater.

Sat home with my 3 dogs and nursed my cold for a while and then went on a walk with a fellow classmate to look at leaves and give our great pyr some exercise.

We were building a house in 2005. Started in building a home, then went to kitchens and then the cooking forum before I found this keeper. .

5. What was the worst job you ever

had?

When I turned 16 and could legally work, I got a job at a delicatessen in my hometown This was around 1979. That’s important because they were Iranian, the owners, and not very happy with Americans. Anyway, they would just speak Persian and I felt very awkward. They fired me after a few days saying I was too small.

Without a question, my current job as a tour guide at Longwood Gardens. It is the most fun I have ever had at work. Plus, they pay for my continuing education! It is a win – win situation. And, I get to bring my friends from here to show off the gardens.

Never a serious one, a few fender bender’s. I am a fairly cautious driver.

Several years ago I was trying to get my dog to learn how to use a gentle leader collar. We were walking in the morning and I was windowshopping at all the porches and blooming flowers and not really paying attention. Anyhow, she had stopped and was trying to pull off her collar and I tripped over her. Did a number on my knee, but it all healed up. It was scary though wondering how bad you could have hurt yourself.

it takes a lot to get me angry(unless were talking politics). My ex-husband used to get angry over every little thing. I wanted to set a different example. I don’t know, I just don’t get bothered by most things I guess.

Cooking/baking help

Read an actual newspaper. Eat in the dining room each night (Coincidentally, the same place where I read the newspaper, LOL)

• blfenton
    4 years ago

dedtired and jojoco - You both chose my favourite thing to do the old-fashioned way - read real books that I can hold in my hand and actually turn the pages and to read a newspaper laid out all over the table. Thanks for reminding me of these pleasures.

• Springroz
    4 years ago

Teal mockneck shirt and beige riding breeches with black and white striped socks

Bacon, egg fried in the bacon grease, 1/2 an avocado, and 2 carrots

Cleaned the barn (shoveled manure from 11 horses), weed eater the backyard until I ran out of string, sent DH to town for refill, and in the time he was gone, I groomed 2 horses, trimmed one’s hooves, turned all the horses out, neighbor came over to pick up Lemongrass Spa order, and I loaded the DW. He reloaded the WE, then I finished the backyard, and pulled the stalks that I left for the birds over the winter. We are going to dance tonight, so I NEED to get cleaned up.....

The Antique Rose forum

Doing surveys at McDonalds. Thankfully, it was only for a few weeks, but the smell(even back then....1977 or 1978....was something I could not stand.

Veterinary receptionist/ tech, for a super cool vet. So much fun!!

I scraped a car pulling into a space with my BIG truck bumper....left a note, and paid for the damage.

Not major, but I always have little cuts and scrapes on my fingers, which I find with salt, LOL!!

DH being gone ALL day, so I could not finish my weedeating before noon!!!

Healing some horse problem.

Wash dishes, grocery shop, clothes shop.

• Sueb20
    4 years ago

1. Wearing a navy jersey, blue jeans, gray socks. Boring.

2. Two Altoids.

3. Had breakfast at the hotel I’m staying at near my hometown. Drove to nursing home where dad is in rehab. Watched him do PT, visited with him. Went out to grab lunch, then returned and walked him down to the lobby so he could have a change of scenery. Visited with two of his friends who came to see him. Watched him push his own wheelchair up and down the hall because he‘s like an 85 year old puppy (in heart failure) who was not tired enough after PT. Had him sign papers for new assisted living place, visited some more, now back at hotel and contemplating dinner (and a cocktail).

4. Originally found GW when we were renovating a kitchen about 13 years ago.

5. Jojo reminded me! I worked at a small family owned market at the deli counter for about a week before they fired me because I was “too quiet.”

6. I worked at an ice cream shop in Quincy Market in Boston when I was in college. We had a lot of fun.

7. I rear ended a car at a stop sign very slightly a few years ago. I was so embarrassed. The scratch on the other person‘s bumper ended up costing me about $800.

8. I burned my hand reaching into the oven on Christmas and I still have an ugly scar. Yuck.

9. I was mad the other night when I was forced to drive my dad to rehab from the hospital at 10:00 at night because of lack of communication on test results and apparently no limit in how late the rehab will admit new patients.

10. Friends often ask me for decorating advice.

11. I only recently gave up my paper calendar and I’m still adjusting to entering events in my phone versus writing them down. I still write to-do lists the old fashioned way.

• Oakley
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I'm really enjoying reading about everyone. Should have done the question, "Book or Kindle." Book for me! I found this funny meme at the Kitchen Table & put it on my FB page.

• Feathers11
    4 years ago

Black yoga pants, a cami top and a basic gray scoop neck over that.

My son and I are doing a 5-veggie-a-day challenge so a veggie stir fry with pepitas and chicken.

Coffee. Online work. Walked with a friend. Vacuuming and prepping for son coming home for spring break. Laundry. Keeping up with a text thread among my siblings--one of them is at a clothing-optional hot springs, and the updates are a comical diversion from my routine life.

A google search brought me to the houseplant forum. I have dozens of houseplants.

When I was in my 20s and very naive, I worked for a temp agency in between jobs, and they sent me to a major banking institution to interview employees and develop flow charts. It was mundane work in a very mundane environment, but I was productive. The man, another temp, sitting in front of me used to take naps regularly throughout the day and was just plain lazy. We all reported to the same manager. One day, we (temps) started comparing our hourly wage, and the men were earning $2 more an hour than the women. I stood up, walked into the manager's office, explained what I had learned about the pay discrepancy, and politely yet firmly said my goodbye. The manager was surprised--he was paying a flat rate for each of us, and didn't know the temp agency was paying us differently. Later, the temp agency called me and scolded me, claiming they had never had a temp walk out of a job before. I responded politely that I had never been treated so unfairly before. It was the worst job I'd ever had, but the best lesson. And it was empowering at a time in my life when I needed it.

I interviewed companies that performed crime scene clean-ups for a documentary. It's not like it was a hip job, but I met some of the quirkiest people who could describe a crime scene so objectively that it was fascinating.

No. My driving record is spotless. I'm not a saintly driver, though. Just a few weeks ago, I was speeding to pass a vehicle in the left lane, but it flashed its lights to let me know it was an unmarked patrol car. I'm just lucky.

No. I'm very cautious and careful. Knock on wood... because statistically, my time is coming.

I have some big things to be angry about lately, so no longer notice the little things.

Life. I'm an empath, a good listener, and nonjudgmental. As a result, my kids are very open with me, and it's paid off well.

Wash dishes by hand, which I find therapeutic.

• bpath
    4 years ago

Feathers, at one job (my favorite one), I learned that I was paid less than my coworker, though I had more education, more training, more tenure at that company, and, tbh, was better at the job. The difference: she was the breadwinner in her family.

When DH and I got engaged, we worked at the same company, different jobs. DH was a legend in the product we worked on. Well, we compared our salaries. I was shocked at his and told him he was way underpaid. After we told his manager we were getting married, his salary leaped.

I know there's sexism in pay, but there's also a, I don't know what to call it, bias for breadwinners, and with DH the two combined in one fell swoop.

• pudgeder
    4 years ago

My PJ's. Purple in color.

Supper. DH's night to cook, he grilled T-bones. Yum!

Today I went w/my DD to #2Grandson's 1 year photo shoot/cake smash. It was quite the success! Then we went to brunch, and then to #1Grandson's 9th birthday party. They had an all out Nerf "Capture the flag" "war" . So fun watching those boys & girls play and run and shriek w/delight. No one was injured, no one cried! Everyone had a good time.

4. What brought you here to GW/Houzz the first time? It was so long ago.... back in the Spike days. I was on the Country Sampler board, and someone mentioned the Kitchen table.

5. What was the worst job you ever had? Not necessarily the "worst" but my least favorite. When I was a teen I worked in a furniture store. My job was to dust the furniture. UGH!!

A fender bender. I pulled out from a parking lot to a 4 lane street. No car insight, until there was one. No one was injured... and the other vehicle barely had a scratch.

8. Have you physically hurt yourself lately? If so, what did you do, you klutz? Stepped on one of #2's hard baby toys. Nearly fell over!

9. Has anything angered you lately? Just little personal things, not world happenings. Foolishness at work.

10. When people come to you for help, what do they usually want help with? Computer help. Help w/Google Docs or MS Office.

Read a book in hand, printed on paper!

• beaglesdoitbetter
    4 years ago

Light blue light weight hooded shirt; pink and gray striped top, pink pajama pants

Sushi

Went for a dog walk; made breakfast for myself and the baby; showered off the messy baby; talked to my husband; did some work for my job; ate lunch; fed the baby lunch and cleaned him; did some work while he napped; took another dog walk; ate dinner; fed baby and cleaned him; did some work; watched Law and Order SVU.

Building my house in 2010 (and I cannot BELIEVE it has been a decade!)

Working for an insurance company the summer between college and law school. I was filling in for a lady on maternity leave and was supposed to run database searches to find claims that should have been denied (or something) I had absolutely no clue what I was doing and really didn't want to find ways to deny claims anyway.

Working as a "shot girl" all through college, which meant getting to go to bars before I was 21 and making awesome tips getting people to buy those shots in test tubes.

Two car accidents -one the insurance said was my boyfriend's fault (he was driving) and the other one the insurance said the other driver was at fault (I was driving that time)

No, but I seem to have random bruises all the time.

We are trying to get a permit to do a driveway for our new house, it has to cross .36% of an acre of wetlands, and we are being made to jump through insane hoops including hiring a freaking engineer to draw the driveway and no engineers are interested in doing such a small and stupid project.

Computer stuff

Can't think of anything

• Feathers11
    4 years ago

Bpath, I just wish the companies I've worked for recognized the breadwinners among both genders.

Beagles, my sister is an engineer in Orlando and works in water resources. She may have contacts. Let me know if you'd like her help.

• bbstx
    4 years ago

@beaglesdoitbetter can you do wetlands mitigation instead?

• bbstx
    4 years ago

When I got home this afternoon, I was wearing very old, very paint-stained pants, and a paint-stained sweatshirt. My ensemble was accessorized with water-logged antique Cole-Haan driving mocs because for the 2nd time in 2 days, I forgot that the paint sprayer cleaner gadget would spray water on me too!

A Cobb salad

Went to help DD paint DGD’s bed for the new house. However, the “bonding” primer we put on yesterday did not bond. So, we had to sand down the entire bed today and re-prime. That took the entire day, except for a quick run to HD for more sandpaper!

I’ve been coming here since the late ‘90s. I’m not sure why I came the first time, but I’m fairly certain it was some sort of decorating advice. I drifted away, but came back when we re-modeled the kitchen in our old condo.

Yes. DH and I were going to my sister’s for Thanksgiving dinner about 15 years ago. I was driving. The roads were wet. I was not speeding, but I did have the cruise control turned on, which I’ve since learned you never do in the rain. We hydroplaned and drove through a field. Although the car stayed upright the whole time, it was totaled. I was wearing a pair of post earrings with clip backs. When the car came to a stop, the earrings had been knocked out of my ears! DH and I spent Thanksgiving and a couple of days after in the hospital. No real damage, but we were pretty bunged up.

I walk into doors all the time. I noticed a bruise on my elbow today. I remember hitting a door frame and thinking, “that is going to leave a bruise.” On being a plain klutz, walking into the hostess’ house for cookbook luncheon on Thursday, the foil covering my cookie sheet of ramekins was caught by the wind. When I tried to catch the foil, I tipped the cookie sheet. Only one ramekin fell off the cookie sheet, but somehow, all of its contents were dumped onto the cookie sheet. I ate my Cherry-Almond Crumble out of a different bowl.

Yes. The paint sprayer worked great last weekend. DD and I cleaned it thoroughly before putting it away. It sat out of the way and protected in a drawer for the week, but when we tried to use it yesterday, it wouldn’t work right! I’m baffled and customer service was less than no help.

In the last several days: DN wants to talk about who he’s dating; DD wants decorating advice (boy, is she barking up the wrong tree!); one friend wants me to help her with her computer; another wants travel advice.

I prefer a fountain pen when writing.

@Oakley, I love the Book vs. Kindle cartoon. I’m a Kindle person.

• localeater
    4 years ago

Black tank, white and black flowered sleep pants

cobb salad

Ran, went food shopping for the house sitter, finished packing, drove to airport, flew leg 1, went to airport hotel, ate awful dinner. Now waiting to get up and take hotel shuttle back to jfk for leg 2.

Kitchen

I don’t think I had an awful job, I’ve worked for awful people. I’ve taken something from each job that’s made me stronger. I didn’t enjoy being a phone bill collector one summer, but it taught me an awful lot about how credit card fees work and I am very good with money.

I helped my friend quit teaching and launch a food truck business.

Yes, I was 18 and newly licensed, I was driving somewhere I was not familiar with and was not in the right lane to turn. I made eye contact with the driver in the right lane, gestured that I needed to turn, he waved what I thought meant ok . It didn’t. I

I am always bruised, constantly bump into thing because I am in a hurry.

DH

Figuring out how to do things, I am very logical so I can offer unemotional direction. That can be good and bad, think Sheldon Cooper.

Roadtrips, with the windows down, the radio blasting a cooler of lunch and a picnic blanket.

• hhireno
    4 years ago

Suede ankle boots, dark wash boot cut jeans, blue with white stripes wool sweater, my only-wear-around-the-house silk scarf (it’s an odd color so I don’t wear it out and about but it feels so good and keeps my neck warm). I’ll put on a different scarf when I leave the house.

I’m drinking tea right now. The last thing I ate was a piece of pound cake last night.

Read the newspaper the old-fashioned way, checked my email, started reading here. Later, i’ll go over to my Mum’s and do some more prep for her move.

Our HHI renovation

Babysitting. The best part was it crystallized by knowledge that I didn’t want kids.

I can’t think of anything that was cool about any job. It’s called work for a reason.

My BIL was driving and as we entered a curve, there was another car facing us. 😳 Thanks to his driving, we also spun out like they did, but we didn’t hit anything but the curb. All 4 of us had the presence of mind to jump out of the car and get off to the side of the road, because we all expected our car to get hit by the next car or, heaven forbid, a truck. A another car did spin out and hit ours. It wasn’t rainy or icy so IDK why the road was so slick. No one was hurt, but all 3 cars were damaged. The cop said it was the first accident scene he attended where every single person had been wearing a seat belt. I can still recall that slow-motion feeling when the car was spinning out of control.

While cutting a pineapple, the fruit shifted (on the juicy, slick surface of the cutting board. Maybe there was a pineapple spill on the road above) and I cut my thumb just a little.

No.

Hmmmm...a ride?

Read books, borrowed from the library, and newspapers, delivered to my home. Write letters. When I need something, I go to a store to buy it. I can only think of 4 times I’ve ordered from Amazon.

• Oakley
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Feathers, I always wondered if there were other moms like myself who cleaned the house before their children came home. Glad to know I'm not alone!

The pay discrepancies mentioned above unlocked horrible memories for me from the 2nd perfect job I had. When the kids were in elementary school I was hired at a bank working in the REO department, part-time, super great pay, working from 9-3, 5 days a week. The hours allowed me me to take the kids to & from school, no bus to take and no babysitter to go to, a mother's dream hours and pay. DH was in law school and the money really helped.

About a week into the job which I thoroughly loved, I asked a co-worker whom I knew from our boy's soccer team if she wanted to go to lunch with me. At lunch we were chatting away and she asked me why I decided to go back to work and stupid me who stupidly trusted this person, told her it was because of the type of job, the hours, and great pay. Stupid me assumed everyone at the bank other than assistants got the same pay.

She asked me what the bank started me with, and when I STUPIDLY told her she was shocked. Apparently I made more than those working full-time for years. When we left I never thought about the conversation again until I was called into my supervisor's office that afternoon (!), told to close the door, (banks have those big windows in the offices so everyone can see who's in there with the door SHUT), and my boss asked me why I was telling people what my salary was. I explained what happened and I thought she was a friend and I told no one else.

Forever after that incident full-time employees, and always a woman, would walk by my desk and snarkily say things like "It must be nice to work part-time" and then walk away. They did other things to me too.

I was bullied by other women, and I ended up quitting after a year and a half.

• beaglesdoitbetter
    4 years ago

@Feathers11 Thanks. I may take you up on that. We, after weeks of searching, found the original engineer who got the permits for the development and have a call out to him now to see if he can help. If he doesn't get back to us w/in a few days, I will message you and see if your sister knows anyone. Thanks so much for the offer!

@bbstx It's not an either-or thing. Because we are on wetlands, we need an engineer to submit the permit so they can assess the wetlands impact and determine if we need mitigation credits. We want to buy the least amount of credits possible as they are extremely expensive.

• Funkyart
    4 years ago

White tank, rosebud pajama pants, gray barefoot dreams hoodie, pink sheepskin slippers

cheese and alfalfa sprouts on pumpernickel bread .. mini dill pickles

up early, worked (for my job), assembled uber receipts (my company generously covers a portion of my uber costs to/from work), opened my trunk club box that arrived Friday/provided feedback (kept a jacket and a tory burch perry tote), submitted grocery order online, worked, watched Hollywood Reporter Round Table (these have become a fav mini break/pleasure), caught up on some GW, now to go back to work.

Don't remember-- was about 2005?

Never a bad job-- just a number of really bad people to work for or with.

Not sure I would call them cool, hip or groovy but the jobs I most loved:

• working at a movie theater (late teens)
    • selling cameras part-time (second job in my early 30s)
    • Consulting gig for Metropolitan Museum of Art

nothing major.. the only noteworthy accident was one where I was sneezing--3 in a row and the person in front of me STOPPED on the highway to watch a crane lift a car that had gone over the edge. It wasn't bad but my head did hit/crack the windshield.

I have depth perception issues due to a vision problem--and I have a clotting disorder. I am always bruised from walking into furniture or corners.

Anger? no. Lots of frustrations.

mostly work related these days.. we're preparing to rollout a major new line of business application.

I take notes & create lists with pen/paper, chop with a knife and grind/mash/meld with a mortar and pestle or molcajete -- not a food processor.

I am totally on kindle/ipad -- printed books don't have enough contrast for me to read (vision issues).

• Oakley
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Feathers, would you mind going into more detail about being an empath? For a long time I thought it was just being empathetic but it's a lot more than that.

Do you experience it in crowds, any examples you could give us? I'm fascinated.

• rubyclaire
    4 years ago

Black leggings, workout top, sneakers.

Quiche with sweet potato crust, feta and spinach.

Ate breakfast, walked to gym with DH and met some girlfriends to walk on the treadmills.

New build in 2013

Waitress - hated it.

Not sure this is cool so much as different. I worked in a motorcycle/touring bicycle shop as a parts counter clerk, title clerk and sales.

Small fender bender.

Nope - knock wood.

Not angry but my DD frustrated me last week. Kids...

Career advice, personal venting and decor help.

I still keep a Filofax agenda and send cards and notes.

• Lars
    4 years ago

First I had to look up GTKY - this is new to me.

Shorts, T-shirt, sandals

Reuben sandwich made with turkey pastrami, Swiss cheese, homemade sauerkraut, homemade German mustard, and rye bread. I did not make the bread this time.

Slept in - forgot to change clock before going to bed. Watched CBS Sunday Morning, made lunch. Will be doing yard work this afternoon, including re-assembly of a fountain knocked down by a raccoon.

4. What brought you here to GW the first time?
    I was looking for a bean dip recipe on line to see if I could find one that was similar to the one I created in Texas, and I found the Cooking forum.

Plowing fields for my father in Texas

Making costumes for the stage and clothes for fashion shows

I had a several as a teenager that involved buildings, but I'm not sure they were my fault.

No, not lately. I'm extremely cautious and avoid rushing myself or getting in a hurry.

Bad grammar, improper English on TV

Recipes or cooking advice

Making clothes, cooking with fresh ingredients, growing my own herbs and some fruit

• User
    4 years ago

Blue sweatshirt with white winter snow scene all over, soft black leggings, Saucony running socks, white house slippers.

Veggie wrap with hummus on a whole wheat tortilla, red grapes, handfuls of raw almonds.

Didn't set the clocks before going to bed so slept a bit later than usual. Had breakfast, cleaned the master bath, did some weeding in the garden, ran on the treadmill and lifted weights, watched an episode of Expedition Unknown.

Can't recall. Was long ago.

As an administrative assistant at a company that sold benefits packages, working for a man with the unlikely name of John Smith who was a completely sexist pig. I lasted there an entire month before deciding one day I just wasn't going to go there again and subject myself to his inappropriate and often hurtful comments. (He ended up having charges brought against him by other female staffers.)

Corporate events planning where I was given the opportunity to plan big parties and hire musicians that I liked. I was able to meet some of my favorite performers as a business arranger and not merely a groupie, which was cool to me.

No.

Not lately. I'm generally careful, knowing how easy it is to trip or fall when not paying attention.

Yes. My husband's oral surgeon has owed us almost $400 since last October. Over a week ago he called and apologized profusely for the oversight and promised the check would be put in the mail the next day. We still don't have it.

Workplace operations.

Well, I still have a landline and would rather talk on that phone than my mobile.

• kkay_md
    4 years ago

Black skinny jeans, olive-green t-shirt, black sweater.

Quinoa salad with lime and cilantro, over a bed of lettuce, with cucumbers and avocado.

Coffee and the NY Times, prepared 2 batches of Swedish meatballs (and froze them), and 1 batch (so far) of James Beard's sweet potato rolls (and froze them) for my son and his fiancee's wedding shower next weekend. Miles to go.

Renovation and an addition, including an all-new kitchen and dining room, in 2002.

Waitress while I was in high school. I lasted one weekend and quit.

Definitely not cool, but worked in the Rare Books Room of the University of Michigan Library while I was a student there.

No.

No. But when I do, it's usually a cooking/baking mishap (cuts and burns).

No, the only things that get under my skin are world happenings.

Life advice, gardening advice, menu/cooking advice.

Read newspapers and books. Do my own gardening. Bake my own bread. Work in publishing, which is becoming very old-fashioned.

• sableincal
    4 years ago

1. What are you wearing?

My favorite satin-ish pajamas, black with discreet bright pink and green flowers, and Alegria 3-strap sandals in a bright multi-colored floral pattern.

Two large crackers (Stoned Wheat Thins) spread with Smucker's naturally sweetened strawberry jam. And plenty of coffee, with milk, no sugar.

3. What did you do today?

Watched the news on all three cable channels, checked Dilbert in the paper, rubbed catnip on selected kitty toys, trimmed some blooms on our amaryllis plants, and have been at the computer since then.

4. What brought you to GW/Houzz the first time?

Reader's Paradise.

Picking grapes on an Israeli kibbutz. Had worked in the plum and apple orchards and liked that. The grapes were a nightmare - sticky with juice, insects crawling in the juice, required wire cutters to remove the bunches. My hands hurt. Horrible. Quit after one day; they sent me to clean the public bathrooms for a few weeks, much better! I have boundless respect for Cesar Chavez.

Also in Israel; working two seasons on an archaeological excavation outside Jerusalem (at Ramat Rahel). We were digging the palace of King Uzaiah, the location was stunningly beautiful high on a hill, and the archaeologists were fantastic people. This was a life-changing experience of tremendous consequence.

7. Have you ever been in a car accident and was it your fault?

No.

8. Have you physically hurt yourself lately?

No! But does this question invite bad luck?

As Lars wrote: bad language usage! When DH hears me yelling in the den he calls out "Did someone use the wrong pronoun?"

Language issues, raising cats, growing amaryllis, books to read, questions about finance and investing.

11. What's something you like to do the old-fashioned way?

Read real books, use my old landline phone, keep meticulous records in my checkbook - I seem to need to physically write out the numbers and ponder them.