SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_50078653

Thoughts on Fridge and Stove placement

User
4 years ago

We're making some updates to our kitchen, we're keeping the changes small, and debating swapping the fridge and stove's location. Currently, the stove is on the left wall and the fridge on the right. It fits the space, and extends the feeling of the hallway to the side door stairs, but blocks the view of the kitchen from this side. Also, the light switch is on the wall behind the fridge, so you have to reach behind it to turn on the light/ceiling fan (not pictured) The stove is on the open left wall, with our computer desk next to it (the tiny table in the images is just a placeholder I made for the table) When the stove is not in use, the mess from the desk ends up spreading to the cooktop (my fault). When we are cooking, the computer tends to catch the splatter from whatever is cooking.

Really the only change if we swap the fridge and stove is the view from the hallway. Because the side door is the primary entrance to the house, I like this view more. It feels more open. The fridge and stove are still equidistant to the sink, and the countertop square footage is almost equal too. Also, desk is more isolated from the cooking area.

The only expense here is the cost of moving the 220v line for the stove to the new wall. It would only require shortening the existing line because the line runs under the length of the kitchen to the wall where the stove currently is. In the future, if we get a fridge with an ice maker or water dispenser, there are cold water pipes under both locations, so no problem adding a needle valve or coupling for the water line.

I hear it can be expensive to move the 220 line, so an estimate will be a true determination of whether we really want to do this.

Thoughts on which works better?

1. Current layout from side hall

2. New layout from side hall

Below are the layouts from the dining room side of the kitchen.

3. Current layout from dining room

4. New layout from dining room

Comments (14)