SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_911091553

Help to make this room right?

Lisa T
4 years ago

This is the room I negotiated during a remodel 10 years ago that could be kept nice so that the world didn't need to know we live (live = messy) in our house.

I was allowed to pick the paint, the sofa, accent chairs and end tables. We spent money on them and they stay with the exception of the end table between the sofa and the piano. I could re-home that somewhere else potentially.

The sofa has always bothered me because I feel it disappears into the wall. I created this room based on an inspiration photo and thought I did pretty good, but obviously not good enough. :)

The paintings were painted by my mom. Her art stays, but the picture currently over the sofa is too small and too high based on what I've learned on Houzz. I knew there were "rules" and finally found them here. Thank you Houzz!!! I do have two additional paintings from my mom that are smaller, if it would be ok to do a grouping. I need guidance with that.

I have a new (old) painting my mom painted that has yet to be framed. I've hesitated to frame it until I can get it right for this room. It is the picture leaning against the couch. My husband thinks it needs to go over the piano and I agree. The current picture over the piano is a favorite of mine, but not one of my mom's, so I guess it gets bumped. ;)

I arrange this room two different ways. The sofa always stays against that wall, the piano stays where it is, but the chairs are either just in front of the square bay or angled in front of the cut outs.

My husband is a talented DIYer and the cutouts and columns are his handiwork pre our marriage.

I love this room with a few exceptions:

• sofa disappears into the wall
  • I think the sofa needs more or different pillows but I can't seem to find the right pillows (buy and return too many times to count)
  • the art is not sized correctly (and hung too high)

All major pieces stay. My husband served a church mission to Taiwan and his treasures on the top shelf stay as does the Christus.

Measurements for the room are:
10'8" wide (to columns)
12'7" long (piano wall to front of bay)
bay window in 3' deep and 8' long with a 12" lower roof than the room.

I will include photos of the other two paintings with sizes in the comments. I will do a sketch of the room as soon as I find my graph paper. It's here somewhere...

Comments (153)