SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
almcclur

Sharing my new garden transformation

Hi guys, I was just looking over my pics from this past garden season and wanted to share with someone. We moved into a house in a standard subdivision recently and it doesn't really have much room to garden, so I was putting things in pots. I had a Satsuma Mandarin tree in a pot and it was really languishing so I decided to put in the the ground right in the middle of my front yard.

My Garden · More Info

That was how it started. Then I figured, well, I might as well pretty it up a little so I dug out just a little farther and added a few small flowers.

My Garden · More Info

Then I started looking at my front yard differently. No reason it has to be grass, right? So I took advantage of the Saws watersaver coupon program and took out a ton of grass.

And planted it up with Esperanza, Plumbago, Turks Cap, Sage, Belinda's dream, Ice Plant, Purslane, Mexican heather, Buddleia, Wandering Jew, Artemesia (thanks Plant Swap 2019--wantonamara, I think?), Dianthus, Dusty Miller, and various bulbs and annuals.

My Garden · More Info

And at the end of the season...

My Garden · More Info

My Garden · More Info

Ignore the grass weeds. I really can't be bothered with Lawn. I hate the chemicals required to weed it and I think I'd rather just replace it all with garden! Notice that tall purple flower bunch near the middle. That's Laura Bush petunia. I got three of them in 4 inch pots on sale from Rainbow for like $0.89 each. They turned out to be the season highlight for me. I've never grown petunias before so maybe they are all like this, but those guys were lush all summer. Then they got over taken with little red bugs, (spider mites?) and I cut them WAY back. Like to the ground. Then they came back again and flowered in the fall. They got scraggly again so I cut them back again and now they are bushing out in March. I assumed they were annuals, but maybe in San Antonio they will just keep coming back. They even last a long time in a vase! Every time I walk by this garden in makes me so happy. Huge Garden success for 2019.

Now for 2020's project... look at all this boring grass!

Comments (12)