SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19691726

Zero lot line woe

4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

As probably most of you know, we live in a small community of zero lot line homes that are set up in such a way that our property ownership extends all the way to our neighbor's house. Recently, our neighbors had a vent installed that effectively now deposits all of their cooking odors directly into our patio and garden, which greatly impedes our ability to sit out and enjoy what we have created. Not to put too fine a point on things, but this is ethnic cooking using lots of strong spices, garlic, and onions. Today's lunch just about punched me in the face when I stepped outside. (And I love to cook and eat ethnic foods, but I don't want those pungent odors foisted on my little "secret garden" (which has yet to emerge from winter hibernation)). It's like the neighbors didn't want the smells lingering in their house but didn't think twice about wafting them all onto us.I'm checking with our HOA to see if they can direct me to any ordinance covering this. Our and every other house in the community is vented through the roof. Does anyone know if this is a general requirement in most areas?

Comments (106)