Kitchen scissors? Shears? Recommendations?

petalique

[I find the search function for these forums is very awkward and limited, unless someone knows some tricks; so I’ve resorting to starting a new thread.]

My flat, come apart, never was crazy for them, kitchen shears finally broke. I usually use knives or cleavers, but II think someone else here uses the scissors or shears — perhaps only to cut twine or dunno. I was thinking I’d pick up another pair.

I spotted some Oxo GG Poultry shears ( ~$27) but the reviews had a lot of negs, saying spring was glued, broke or came apart. One person saild some little button cap came off and broke her dishwasher crumb chomper $$$.

webrestaurant sells a Vitorinox, all stainless, about $29, with some blah reviews, and they look uncomfortable to grip. And that spring has broken on some users.

Maybe I should just get another junky cheap flat come apart pair. I have only rarely wanted to cut poultry, come to think of it. I forgot what I use them for, but use them ;-) I’ve never spatchcocked a chicken, but I’ve considered some people might benefit from it.

Any recommendations, or should I just look for another $8 pull apart pair? Maybe someone has found good enough, inexpensive, versatile kitchen scissor/shears they can recommend? And what do people use them for? Just poultry?

SaveComment23Like
Comments (23)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sushipup1

Joyce Chen scissors. Worth every penny. I've got two pair, probably 30++ years old. The finest. Accept no substitutes.

https://www.amazon.com/Joyce-Chen-51-0220-Unlimited-Scissor/dp/B0000CFLH7/ref=zg_bs_289860_13?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=1NP0YDPP5H9MRH2DKHYH

1 Like Save     Thanked by petalique
tigereye

Okay, deleted my first comment. I have a lot of OXO stuff, but the kitchen shears are Henckels. I have these kitchen shears and I love them. I cut all kinds of kitchen stuff with them. They will cut through the backbone of a chicken with no problem. They do not come apart, but there isn't a need. They clean easily.

https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/j-a-henckels-international-robust-kitchen-shears/1011272690?keyword=kitchen-shears

ETA: I think I will buy a spare and store in case they decide to change them.

nancyofnc

For cutting all the blasted food packaging, I buy the dollar store cheapo's, They actually work well! Saves wear and tear on my real kitchen shears used for cutting up chicken piece parts, herbs, etc., I bought a $25 pair at Michael's or Kohl's with a 50% off coupon. Have lasted for 3 years now. Buy what you can afford planning on at least 2 years good use and get them professionally sharpened if you can (my DH does that but most people don't know how - two edges each blade at different angles) and buy some cheapo's.

plllog

I have good quality, come apart for washing, poultry shears that live in the knife drawer. I do use them to break down chickens (I don't remove the sternum so not technically spatchcocking, but I do cut out the spines with them). I find them easier to use than a knife. They have a good curve, so I could use them for seafood if I actually had whole shrimp or something. I have herb shears, the kind with the long metal spring that keeps them open while in use, for picking and cutting herbs.

For non food tasks, I have a cheap pair of orange handled desk scissors that live on the counter. I wash them regularly, but they never have icky goo and don't need to pull apart. They do open packaging, cut string, etc., and are used far more than than anything else (hence staying on the counter).

I think the choice is a very personal thing, and suggest you start with what you want to use them for and work your way backwards to which ones you should get.

Lars

I have Kitchenaid scissors that I like very much, and they come with a plastic sheath to protect them, which I use. I also use them to remove the backbones of chickens.

petalique

Lots of good tips. I try to keep a pair of regular shears nearby. Come to think about it, I have, someplace another pair of kitchen shears which I hate because they keep getting locked. Those J Chen shears look ice, but uncomfortable. hard metal? But probably good for snipping herbs.

Good suggestions and also, along Plllo’s line of reasoning, may use what I’ve got or can find inexpensive ly, then take note of what I’d want good ones for.

Now, I’m very hungry!

1 Like Save    
sushipup1

No, the Chen handles are very flexible, and easy on your hands.The metal is coated, not hard at all. And sharp after all these years.

ediej1209 AL Zn 7

I have a couple of pairs of kids' school scissors I've had for years in my kitchen and if I catch DH even looking at them he's in the doghouse. I wash them quite often in the dishwasher, especially if I've cut open bacon or lunchmeat packages. But I do have a pair of Kitchenaid shears for cutting up chicken etc. and I really like them. However they do not come apart for cleaning so I have to be quite scrupulous in cleaning them.

foodonastump

I wouldn’t consider shears that don’t come apart. I have Wüsthof.

chloebud

Have had mine a long time...also Wüsthof.

dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m

sushipup1

No, the Chen handles are very flexible,----

Also good for lefties (or righties)

dcarch.

bragu_DSM 5

I have pull apart shears that I sold [cutco] back in the 80s .... spendy, but I really like them. self sharpening as well ...

WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a

When the tip of my kitchen shears broke off a few years ago (don't know what happened), I grabbed a pair of Fiskars I had in my desk, washed them really well, and used them for the task at hand. I liked them so well, decided to give them a try for a few days. Well, that was several years ago now, and I have been very pleased with their performance. Put them in the dishwasher with the blades open all the time. No plans to purchased regular kitchen scissors.

sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)

I don't think the perfect pair exists. They all seem to have an annoyance, do- this-but-don't-do-that-very-well scenario.

If a favorite pair is 20+ years old, they may not be made well anymore. As most of the reviews say, "I needed to replace my favorite scissors but not the same at all. Cheaply made".

I went through this a few years ago when a 20+ favorite got a crack in the handle. Another pair that came apart for cleaning would come apart during use if opened just a bit too far. And another has a half moon notch but doesn't cut in that area so only the 2 or so inches at the tip will cut a package.

The biggest problem I see is the cutting blades are not fully integrated into the plastic handles. Just inset.

You would think fiskars would make a good pair but bad reviews about handles breaking.

I have an insane quantity of scissors. Barn, garden shed, at every desk, laundry room, bedroom drawer, a dozen in my studio...and these in the kitchen...

Upper left are from 2017, one of the holiday amazon sales. 2 for 12$. But cannot be taken apart or tightened. (a reviewer got a lemon but replaced the connector with another bolt/nut to allow to tighten...good to know). The kitchenaid and the two red sabatier work themselves loose but can be tightened by hand with the blades wide open or loosened for the dishwasher. The 'tradesman' is one of my older pairs, (ChicagoCutlery?). Can't be tightened and a but loose.

The all stainless Cabella pair are pretty excellent but the short cutting length. The expensive poultry shears I never liked as the spring was so tight. When cutting they would often spring back with such force chicken bits and juice would fling everywhere. And only one use. Now the spring is broken.

This might be my choice if buying today...

Basic, no plastics, a nut connection that can be loosened/tightened. Good price. No bad reviews...yet.

lindac92

I have 2 pair...one Chicago Cutlery come-apart ones for snipping herbs cutting slices of bacon even cutting up cooked chicken....and I have a hair of heavy duty poultry shears for...well poultry!
I have had both for easily 25 years...
I did have 2 pair of the Chicago Cutlery ones but I used both at a seafood fest and one pair got tossed out with the crab and lobster shells.

Fun2BHere

I have a pair of Wusthof that replaced my Furi pair that I completely ruined cutting a thick wool carpet pad. I think I could get the Furi pair sharpened, but there's no one near me to do it. I guess I should check into a mail-in sharpening service.

chipotle

I have a pair of Zyliss come apart scissors. Couldn't tell you the last time I used them. For daily use I have two pair of Fiskars.

blubird

I had an old pair of separating Chicago Cutlery scissors which somehow disappeared. I found a new pair on Amazon which I ordered, but although they looked exactly like my old ones but they were non separating. Happened into my nearby Corningware outlet where they had the separating ones for sale. I bought 5 pair which now reside in almost every room. I never use them for cutting apart poultry..

donna_in_sask

Looks up Kershaw Taskmaster kitchen shears. They aren't available in Canada anymore but I think you can still get them in the States. Shun is their sister brand and they also make a version but for a bit more money. Mercer Culinary has a knock-off but they are made in China. I really like the Taskmasters...they are sharp, sturdy and come apart for easy cleaning. I also have the Shun kitchen shears of a different design (and much more expensive) which I never use because the bottom handle is too large for my hands.

petalique

More excellent suggestions.

I found only 1/2 of a cheap take apart pair.

Sleevendog, thanks for showing your collection and reviewing what was good, not so good. And, for sure, there isn’t a single knife that will work well for every task.

Donna-in-Sask, that Kershaw Taskmaster looks very handy. I have a little Kershaw small folding knife with rosewood handles I keep in my purse — handy and beautiful art.

Here is a video of your knife, Kershaw Taskmaster. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lU_Zg9RIKlo

Maybe I can locate a pair, if affordable.

I spotted the one below for cheap. Looks like made in China, but Japan would be a plus:

Cheap

Sort of like this design.

These are cool looking, the look appeals to me, but too $ and functionally ?

Below, Fury shears.

Forgot what the ones below are.

Oh, logo is ID. These look nice.

I have a few cheap pairs, plus Fiskars for twine, packages, etc.

I think I will focus on the “best” utilitarian, poultry and function, “cheapest” (best good price for good product) shears. I want to avoid the type with the tapered coil spring.

Someone is selling a promising looking pair, but they’re a hour away. Inexpensive. Maybe I’ll take a chance, ask if seller will pay pal and mail them to me. What could go wrong? Seriously, I’ve done something like that before, the trust-good faith retail method. It worked out. Just gotta be sure to give seller shipping & bother cost.

I’m off to look for a pair of Kershaws in the meanwhile. I like to buy stuff that lasts. Sleevendog or someone commented on how it’s much better to have the steel of the handle go way into the plastic handle cover. So true. Thanks again, everyone, so many nice looking shears.

Save    
sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)

The one you posted thinking a bit pricy I already posted above. Horrid. The spring broke, thank goodness. It is one use, for chicken, and the spring was so tight it would spring back open and toss chicken juice all over. We would take it out side on the deck table.

Multi-purpose is the way to go. Unless you cut up chickens ALL the time.

We have had that pair 20+ years and used a dozen (maybe) times. Did not even know the spring broke until this thread posting.

tigereye

After reading all the comments and suggestions, this is STILL the only one I will have. It cuts everything, cleans easily, goes in the dishwasher, and is not overpriced.

https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/j-a-henckels-international-robust-kitchen-shears/1011272690?keyword=kitchen-shears

petalique

Oh, yes. I Forgot those, tiger eye. Good price and I think they will work. The ones that broke were a bit like these (broke bc they fell onto a hard surface in a cold kitchen, but I had them ~ 24 years.

OMG, sleevendog, I meant to comment on the spring loaded raw chicken bits getting flung around. At least only raw chicken particles, not covid-19 virus particles. Still — super disgusting. .... WAIT, sleevendog, do you mean those $99 global shears? I don’t see any springs, nor any of the ones in your photos. I am only half with it though — I might have pre pre pre Covid-19 exhaustion.

The spring ones that look awful to me (rust, dog hair, food particles stuck in them) ate the ss tapered coiled croissant-looking spring jobs. Some of the comments photos of Amazon are enlightening. Yuk.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Product Picks Guest Picks: Must-Have Kitchen Tools
Damaris of Kitchen Corners shares her 20 top picks for cooking gadgets and tools
Full Story
Apartment Life Jump-Start Your Kitchen With These Minimalist Essentials
These 22 kitchen tools will get you started on your path to culinary success or delicious downsizing
Full Story
Kitchen Appliances How to Choose the Right Hood Fan for Your Kitchen
Keep your kitchen clean and your home's air fresh by understanding all the options for ventilating via a hood fan
Full Story