Earrings I can leave in.

Jasdip

What kind of earrings to you wear when you leave them in all the time? I have some small diamond studs but the post is too long to leave in, I can't sleep with them.

I don't wear earrings enough (only when I'm going out somewhere) and I struggle getting them through the holes. I'm positive I made new holes on the weekend on one ear!

Are there earrings with special backs, or do they have to be hoop style to leave in? Maybe something for my upper holes, and I can still wear my dangly, larger earrings in the bottom holes.

SaveComment28Like
Comments (28)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tigereye

After they heal up this time, take out at bedtime and put in first thing in the morning. The best to leave in for now will be the ear piercing earrings that you get in the kit. (At least in the US.) You can take a file and smooth off the sharp points. I pierced ears for nineteen years.

Even if you are not allergic to nickle,( I am), try to wear the highest yellow gold count you can find most of the time. White gold has more nickle than yellow gold. The higher the karat the less nickle. It is possible to find nickle-free costume jewelry.

Do not use Neosporin or hydrogen peroxide on your ears. Neosporin is gummy and Hydrogen peroxide will make your lobes puffy, as well as damaging the gold.

The best to use is what comes with the kits or plain isopropyl alcohol.

ETA: If they don't have the kits in Canada, you want the most gold content in a plain ball shape that you can find. Put alcohol on twice a day with a Q-tip and turn without taking out of the ear.

3 Likes Save    
functionthenlook

I were earrings 24/7 in my upper holes. I have no problem sleeping with them. I use smaller surgical steel hoops. If I use any other kinds of metals, gold or silver for more than 16 hrs the hole have a allergic reaction.

Save    
Jasdip

I didn't know that about peroxide. I always dab peroxide on when my ear bleeds when accidentally making a new hole, or just having trouble putting them in.

Tigereye, my holes are 40 years old, they're not new, with any kind of kit.

I too dislike nickel, after a couple of hours my ears ache. I didn't know that about white gold.

Save    
tigereye

Nickle is what most people have the reaction to. It can build up. Someone may of not had much of a problem at one time, but every time you have a reaction, it will get worse the next.

Save    
tigereye

Jasdip, me too, but if I have a reaction, then I have problems with my holes and have to kinda start over.

Mine used to just itch a little, but I could wear a day or so. I can't even put my nice white gold diamond earings, that my Dad bought me, for an hour now. I have heard that you can paint the shaft with clear fingernail polish, but I have not tried it.

Save    
tigereye

Find a nice small ball that is nickle free and keep that in for a week or so until the hole forms up. Dab some alcohol on front and back.

Save    
tigereye

My best friend did my ears with the ice cube and a needle in the 70's. The kits did not exist then!

1 Like Save    
Texas_Gem

You could get flat back earrings. It's what my daughter wears. The front screws on.

6 Likes Save    
Jasdip

Texas, that's what I was wondering. I like those.

My holes are all there, just often, an earring will 'pop' going through, so it was starting to heal. One hole is hard to find/see, and I swear I make a new hole. I don't have as much feeling in that ear lobe, so only when I get a lot of bleeding, I figure I was in the wrong spot.

Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

I don't wear them at night.

To help with inserting earrings, I keep a small tube of neosporin...the kind that's like a petroleum jelly, not cream...and put a small dab on the post. It helps lubricate the post for insertion and it adds antibiotic protection to the hole.

2 Likes Save    
pekemom

Small gold hoops stay in my ears all the time (unless I want to change them) No posts that get in the way, just make sure they are gold.

1 Like Save    
ritaweeda

The only ones I can wear 24/7, even when showering, without either losing one or causing discomfort is a pair of thin medium sized silver hoops where the thin wire fits into the opening at the other end of the hoop. But they are a real pain to put in when I've been wearing other earrings. And yes, Elmer, I could have done without any of the visions that your post conjured up...LOL!

Save    
tigereye

Annie, it WILL help to insert, but it is not good to use. Since it is gummy, it will cause more problems than it solves. Please just use water to lubricate and then alcohol to sanitize.

Save    
liira55

I have had my ears pierced since I was 1 month old, so very used to wearing and sleeping in earrings 24/7. I usually wear long dangling earrings. Can't wear the little studs ones as they make my lobes very red and itchy.

Save    
blubird

The only earrings I can sleep in are a thin wire drop with lever back. I’ve had my diamond studs cut shorter and re threaded, but they still poke me at night. These lever backs are narrow front to back and don’t twist and poke me, even when I’m on a phone. I’ve had my ears pierced for over 50 years, so they’ve been well healed.

Save    
marylmi

I wear small diamond studs in the top hole and hoops in the bottom. They both are left in all the time. Once in a great while a hoop will turn in the night, but I just flip it back ! They are both gold.

Save    
chipotle

I stopped keeping them in overnight when I realized the holes & earrings start to smell after awhile with the mix of skin cells and natural oils.

Save    
wantoretire_did

I also found that so take them out every night.

Save    
carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b

I don't sleep in earrings any more, but when I did it was continuous wire hoops of gold or silver. You can turn the fastening to the front or bottom so it won't stick you when you lay on your side. I still wear continuous wire hoops more than any other style.

Found a pic - it's even called a sleeper hoop:

And here's the other more common version:

Save    
ravencajun Zone 8b TX

My holes close up so quickly. I started wearing bigger gage wires to try to open up the holes more. I have no desire to gage huge holes! But I wear these daily and at night. They don't hurt at all, they lay flat against my cheek. They are pure medical grade stainless steel. I can only wear that and titanium. I have some of the screw back ones like Texas gem posted but they bother me.

These just slip in, never fall out and help keep the holes open. But if I leave them out a week they will be starting to close.

Save    
sheilajoyce_gw

I had to have my ears re pierced as they closed up because I was not wearing earrings often enough. Before that I had trouble getting earrings in sometimes and lobes got red and itchy. So the directions were to wear the piercing studs 24 hours a day for 3 or 4 months. Instead, I went for a whole year. Now I wear small studs daily and usually during the night too.

Save    
Elizabeth

I wear diamond studs nearly 24/7. The posts are not too long to sleep in on my particular style. I take them out only when I shower and soak them in alcohol. No problems at all. They have 14K posts.

There isn't any air circulation with a stud earring so you should not shower or shampoo with them in as it can lead to infection.

If you are having problems with the holes staying open, switch to a 14K or 18K gold earring with wire that can be rotated back and forth. Make sure the wire is fairly thick. Rotate them several times daily and clean the openings and wires with alcohol and a Q-Tip. Leave them in for about two weeks. Your ears need to heal as if they were freshly pierced.

Save    
Jasdip

When you are saying clean with 'alcohol' do you mean rubbing alcohol? That stings! :-)

Save    
chessey35

I either wear hoops, french wire (which generally have a little stopper on wire) or the ones like Blubird's picture and wear them all the time without problems Have to admit I forget to take them out and often don't have time in the morning to fool with them.

Save    
mdln

2 Likes Save    
Elizabeth

If the alcohol stings, you have an unhealed opening. Peroxide will hurt too until it heals. It only takes a few days.

Save    
tigereye

This is what they sell for ear piercing. It is also good if you heed to clean earrings. It doesn't sting.

https://www.amazon.com/INVERNESS-After-Piercing-Care-Solution/dp/B00PUQ9O9C

Save    
Jasdip

I remember rubbing alcohol stinging when I got blood drawn one time. The nurse didn't wait for the alcohol to dry and when she stuck the needle in it burned like a sob. I was in so much pain with the stinging, but didn't say anything. I mentioned it the nurse at my regular blood work clinic and she said that they always wait, waiting for the alcohol to dry otherwise it burns. That's why they're opening up gauze, arranging tubes etc after they swab your arm.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
The Polite House The Polite House: What Can I Do About My Neighbors’ Trash Cans?
If you’re tired of staring at unsightly garbage way before pickup day, it’s time to have some tough conversations
Full Story
Life You Said It: ‘I’m Never Leaving’ and More Houzz Quotables
Design advice, inspiration and observations that struck a chord this week
Full Story
The Polite House The Polite House: How Can I Kindly Get Party Guests to Use Coasters?
Here’s how to handle the age-old entertaining conundrum to protect your furniture — and friendships
Full Story