SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
onedevoteddame

Interior architectural features -- Match exterior? (2017 tract home)

One Devoted Dame
4 years ago

So here is the model we built nearly 3 years ago:

Our brick is red, as opposed to brown, but also with plenty of variation like this picture.

First of all, what the heck is this style? :-O

My inexperienced brain goes, "Okay, arches and brick are European... British or French, maybe?" Asymmetrical facade with steep gables and a clipped gable... Do I have a "Tudor Lite"? Or do I have a "Nothing" house?

IF I have a wanna-be Tudor, I'm seriously tempted to do dark wood trim and doors inside, because that's true to a traditional Tudor. Will it absolutely kill resale to have things that aren't trendy even if there is architectural continuity? In this price range, my location/area favors white trim and gray walls (I will never have gray walls ever, resale be darned) on *everything* regardless of architectural style.

IF I have a Nothing house, then I'm more hesitant to put in (expensive) stained trim/doors, even though I think it would look awesome, because I don't want to reduce my pool of potential buyers too much, or take too much of a hit when we go to sell the house (in 5 years or less).

My kitchen and bath cabs are espresso stained maple, and dark trim and doors would make my husband and I really happy, *unless* people refuse to buy the house because of it (or demand that we paint over it).

Floors are ceramic tile and carpet. Soon, we are replacing the builder-basic carpet with dark wood-look tile or dark engineered hardwood over our slab (always the plan from the beginning; just didn't want to pay exorbitant builder upgrade fees for better flooring in the currently carpeted rooms). Obviously, if we do dark wood trim, I'd go with the engineered hardwood, so that I didn't have fake wood adjacent to real wood. But I want to decide what the trim will be *before* we do the floor. And if I have a kinda-sorta-okay-maybe-if-I-squint-and-tilt-my-head-sideways-sure-that's-a Tudor, then I'm flirting with the idea of a herringbone pattern on the floor.

Thoughts? I've been all over the place with this decision. Husband was looking at solid core interior doors the other day, which look awesome in a dark stain, but we don't plan on living in this house for very long, so resale should be a consideration....

Be brutal. Be Sophie brutal. I can take it, I promise. Thanks for reading my stupidly long post. :-/

:-D

Comments (2)