SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_298553088

Engineered hardwood vs Luxury Vinyl Plank

Northern Girl
4 years ago

I have engineered hardwood in the basement with tile in the half bathroom. Due to a leaking toilet in the upstairs bathroom, the hardwood downstairs got damaged and has to be replaced in the rec room and bedroom.

The flooring expert is recommending I use LVP instead of engineered hardwood in the basement (rec room, bathroom, bedroom, laundry room, and stairs) as the engineered hardwood I have is no longer manufactured. All the flooring will be the same downstairs.

I love the look of hardwood and I am afraid that if I go with LVP it will not look as nice or as warm as what I had. Insurance will only cover partial costs.

Moisture is not an issue and I don’t have young kids. The basement is not a high traffic area except to do laundry. I don’t plan on moving for at least 5 years.

I would love to hear other opinions. Should I go with what I used to have (using a different manufacturer) or try what is just starting to trend here? Can LVP be used on stairs? The upstairs has manufactured hardwood.

Comments (8)