Help With Medicare Supplement Choices
6 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (29)
- 6 years agolast modified: 6 years ago
- 6 years agolast modified: 6 years ago
Related Discussions
Help!! Question about Medicare, etcs.
Comments (11)I called the local office and was told that the congressman that WAS in our small town, is an attorney now...though it still has him on the Internet as the congressman for our county...Shows you how little I keep up with politics. The lady gave me a number to call our "new" congressman...Phil Gringey. Who's office is not located in our town. I spoke with a man briefly, mentioning the social security letter and medicare...He said that he would have to send us a form to fill out, to get our permission for them to "look into it." Social Security called yesterday and told us the "Reconsider" was turned down. That we could file an appeal to Waiver it...I said, Ok., and they'll send a paper to file out. Seems that you have 2 options after SS claims they overpaid you...One is that you want them to Reconsider the situation because you don't believe that you are at fault in any way...the other is a Waiver...that asks them to waive it because you're not financially able to pay it back. Doubt that is in our favor either...because I told the SS lady yesterday that I don't see how we can live on $229.00 a week...and she said, "Sure you can." I asked, How?...and she said, "Just sit down and go over what you owe, and you'll see that you can eliminate a few of them." She didn't say what "them" were. Eliminate what? water? phone? electricity? gas? insurance? food?...See MoreHow much do Medicare supplements cost?
Comments (31)DH and I have both had Advantage plans since we were eligible for Medicare. Here's how it works in our state: We still pay the Part B Medicare premium (about $100 per month) which is deducted from our SS checks. Then we each pay another $59 for Advantage, which is also deducted (we had a choice to pay it separately or have it deducted). We have co-pays for almost everything (except certain preventive procedures and a physical each year), with a cap of $3,400 each year. Some Advantage plans have dental and vision included. The benefits are often more than what is offered by Medicare Part B. A couple of years ago, we were thinking of moving 65 miles away and the very same Advantage plan would have cost us another $70 per month, each, just living in another county. Some years we have had a $0 co-pays. Then that company stopped offering Advantage plans. Our first year, we were in a plan with no cap and DH had unexpected surgeries, MRSA, and we had co-pays of well over $4,000. So, I learned to check out whether there was a cap and how high it was. We have always subscribed to plans where we could go to whatever doctor we chose (a very few refuse Medicare patients and one year, doctors refused the plan - that had $0 monthly premium and $0 co-pays - so I ended up enrolling, within 90 days of when the plan started, in a different plan that doctors would accept). It's very complicated as it takes several hours each year, online, of comparing plans for what we think will work best for us. Part D is even worse as DH takes over 10 meds. But, overall, it's much, much better than any health insurance we had before reaching age 65 (we had to enroll in private plans for about 6 years before being eligible for Medicare)....See Moremedicare advantage vs medicare supplement ?
Comments (15)I have only encountered one MD who opted out of Medicare. This was the orthopod who did my left hip replacement before I was 65. I was foolish to go back to him for the right hip after he opted out. There are tons of other highly qualified orthopods. I paid $7K with zero reimbursement. Dumb Sue. Some MD's with 'niches' can get away with opting out. Ten years ago I found that some GP's were going the 'retainer' route. They charged a patient a set annual fee ($8-10K) and spent no time 'messing' with Medicare or any other insurance plan. I don't know if that worked. I haven't heard anything about it recently....See MoreAnd it's time to talk about Medicare supplemental insurance again.
Comments (13)Gosh, I hate this whole procedure. I'm also seeing that medicare supplements are hugely more expensive for 2016. We've had Plan F high deductible in 2014 and 2015, paying under $100/month. Looks like more than DOUBLE for the same coverage next year -- and very little difference in premiums between high deductible and the comprehensive straight Plan F. I'm wondering if we will even GET a supplemental plan next year. I have yet to meet the deductible ($2800) after my hospital stay for pneumonia. (Medicare paid almost everything.) I'd have been better off not paying premiums! We have to do Part D (drug plan). Fun and games running the numbers of who will charge you less for any maintenance meds -- two for DH and one for me (Adviar, at $300/mo. retail). This is a cockamamie system we have in the US....See More- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years agolast modified: 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years agolast modified: 6 years ago
- 6 years agolast modified: 6 years ago
- 6 years agolast modified: 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years agolast modified: 6 years ago
- 6 years agolast modified: 6 years ago
- 6 years agolast modified: 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
Related Stories

GARDENING GUIDES8 Unthirsty Plants Help You Save Water in Style
Spend less effort and money on your landscape with drought-tolerant and native plants that liven up your yard
Full Story
GARDENING GUIDES6 Questions That Will Help You Pick the Best Plants for Your Site
Before you head to the nursery, learn more about your outdoor space
Full Story
KITCHEN DESIGN10 Ways to Design a Kitchen for Aging in Place
Design choices that prevent stooping, reaching and falling help keep the space safe and accessible as you get older
Full Story
KITCHEN DESIGNKitchen of the Week: Hardworking Style Holds Up to a Busy Family
A Utah designer helps a couple create an industrial-modern kitchen with durable yet playful materials
Full Story
FURNITUREThink You Don’t Have Room for a Big Sofa?
Rethinking its position and finding a sleek style are just two ways to help a sizable couch fit neatly into your home
Full Story
REMODELING GUIDESWhen to Use Engineered Wood Floors
See why an engineered wood floor could be your best choice (and no one will know but you)
Full Story
LIVING ROOMS8 Reasons to Nix Your Fireplace (Yes, for Real)
Dare you consider trading that 'coveted' design feature for something you'll actually use? This logic can help
Full Story
BEFORE AND AFTERSSee How Refaced Cabinets Brighten This Dated Kitchen
By updating the cabinets, countertop and backsplash, designers help a homeowner create a fresh, modern style on a budget
Full Story
BATHROOM DESIGN12 Things to Consider for Your Bathroom Remodel
Maybe a tub doesn’t float your boat, but having no threshold is a no-brainer. These points to ponder will help you plan
Full Story
GREEN BUILDINGGoing Solar at Home: Solar Panel Basics
Save money on electricity and reduce your carbon footprint by installing photovoltaic panels. This guide will help you get started
Full Story
chisueOriginal Author