SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_749108489

Please help choosing colors/other advice for this 1980s squatty house

ukrworld
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

Hi! This is my first post here, and I apologize for the length. I am very excited as this is a big project for me, and I desperately need input.

We bought this foreclosed place to live in 4 years ago and have been slowly remodeling and improving it. It's a mess. The money is very tight, and I do as much as I can by myself, but I am not very handy. The picture is a bit dated: the hibiscus bush on the right side has been removed as well as all the decorations on the house, including the hanging shell baskets, and I added some bright flower trays on each windowsill.

Any advice is welcome. I am thinking about having the stucco and garage door painted with "Ginger Peachy" color by Glidden (but will use different brand), and the trim - white. The landscaping is going to be re-done next, and I need to visually extent the house height so I am guessing that the bushes on the street side will need to go, and maybe replace them with blooming flowers. The problem is none of the landscaping is getting much sun all around the house, and being in Florida, I can't figure out which plants to use that would bloom and look full in part-time sun except ferns. They, impatiens and begonias seem to be doing well, but still reaching forward for the sun. What can I plant to make the very plain and low to the ground house look more inviting and open?

Also we will get new gutters in white color, and plan to re-stain the wooden front door in something complementing the new color (maybe grey or cona stain?). The windows are copper brown, but I don't have the budget to replace them with white plastic ones, however, it's in the plan in a few years ahead, as well as changing the fence to a white plastic one. I would love to cut down a few of the five enormous live oaks in the front/back, but again, money is an issue. That would really help get more light around the house, but I just don't know if I ever will get to it. I also might change the blinds to light or medium brown/ faux wood ones, as right now they really pop out. What about the light fixtures by the front door? I want them lower, and change to white and maybe different style?

Please let me know any of your thoughts regarding what you would do. I appreciate you taking the time to read this.

(This is what ginger peachy color looks like on a house, but on my laptop it shows more orange than the swatch I have which is more bright and yellow)

Comments (5)