SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
petalique

Questions: Duck, crispy duck skin; “rare? Med rare breasts?

petalique
4 years ago

A local market put 6# ducks (frozen) on sale. I like duck, but other than a forkful of wild salt bay duck (whoooo! Blurk. Salty and gamiesque), I’ve only had Peking Duck (yum) and Thai Duck Choo Chee (yum).

I was busy (and exhausted) so thought about cooking the duck, instead of actually cooking it. One of my favorite Chinese restaurants is a fat hour away and wants around $50 for a whole Peking duck (wonder if that means I can take home most of the uneaten Duck, with extra mandarins pancakes, duck sweet bean sauce and the bones from the galley. Probably not. But I think that after watching 20 videos and reading recipes, I might go for making it on one of my back up frozen ducks. I’ve already successfully made the pancakes.

Idea! Has anyone tried using a heat gun for crisping the skin up a bit more if not crisped enough with roasting? (I confess I have dcarch in mind, after seeing his video of him separating duck skin with his air compressor. I am putting that on my list of To Do-s.)

My Duck got thawed, the breast w skin and fat removed (will attempt to cook tonight), and the carcass and skin, meat, bone cleaved into sections, the combined with grey salt, thyme and crushed garlic for 24 hrs. I then rinse off, patted dry and it’s roasting slowly, uncovered. Then I guess I’m supposed to remove from the rendered duck fat, filter and save fat, the put duck pieces back into oven, skin side up to crisp, at ?350 deg F for 30. Ins ?.?

I’ve seen people cook duck breasts (Pan cooked) rare. I’d like help understanding why eating a birdy medium rare - rare is okay. What about all the cootie critters w try to avoid with raw chicken and pork? Why is a small domestically raised LI or “Pekin” duck safe to only cook to partial doneness?

Ducky is in 300 deg F oven. The kitchen smells great. Should I turn oven lower? No rack. It’s in a Le creuser Dutch oven.

Thanks.

PS. Any chance I can use some crispy skin, maybe put some crushed anise seed or star magnolia splash on it, crisp it up, serve it on a Mandarin pancake with sweet bean sauce and scallion and have anything resembling Peking Duck?

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Emily Rudolph Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars25 Reviews
Hands-On & Collaborative Columbus Interior Designer