SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
patti_yohe

2020 info needed on shower pans

Peke (Patti)
4 years ago

No grout or tile on shower floor. Never again.

I have been reading about shower pans for two days. Some posts were from 2007-2015, so I have to assume products and installation methods have improved since 2015. I have read about the good, bad, and ugly, but now I would like to know about current products and how they are working for you. So let's say from 2019-2020?

Here is what I know so far:

1. I have an area available about 5ft x 5 ft, but I really don't need that much space. Plus, I could get a shower pan 60" x 36" or 60" x 42" depending on the product. No need for a custom pan. Pan will go on a concrete slab. Currently a whirlpool tub is there. The drains will probably need to be changed.

2. Swanstone, Transolid, Corian are good with Corian being the most expensive. Those seem to be suggested more than any other company names. I know some of their products are of a lower quality, so I will stay away from them. I know to stay away from any product that has an additional layer. It must be able to be sanded or it is not solid surface. Have I missed any?

3. Kohler has a cast iron pan, but some people have problems keeping the bottom clean, and it is always cold until the water warms it up. It can also chip. No problems with solid surface pans.

What I need to know:

4. How do I put a horizontal niche in the shower? Are the studs cut out and reframed for support like when you would add a window? The 5 ft side is on an outside wall so that means I must put a niche above the towel rack, right? That 3 ft section is a pony wall right now that goes to the ceiling. The plumbing will be on the other 3 ft section so that is the only place I can put a niche.

5. If solid surface wall panels are used, can there be a niche? Or is that just a place that can cause leaks? What do I use to make a niche? More solid surface materials or regular tiles? Does it matter as long as the niche is up high enough that the water does not hit it? Are niches sloped so any accumulated water drains out?

6. It seems like installing an acrylic whirlpool tub with ceramic tile walls would cost about the same amount as installing a solid surface shower pan with tile walls. I know whirlpools can get extremely expensive, but the last one I saw at a plumbing supple showroom was around $1400.00-$2000.00. That seems to be comparable to a shower pan. (It depends if I want a walk-in shower or a step-in tub shower.) I have an upstairs bathtub/shower, and a hall bath that has room for a whirlpool so I could do either one.

7. What goes under the pan between it and the concrete? I assume greenboard or concrete board is used on the wall, but does it still need a rubber barrier and a vapor barrier? If so, how high does it go up the wall?

Is there anything else I need to consider? Installation easy or difficult? Hire a plumber for the shower pan, but hire a tile person for the tile. My plumber is always saying he can do the tile work. Yeah, no thank you! Our sheetrock guy was actually a painter that wanted to learn sheetrocking. He did not tell us that until we had to pay someone else to fix all his mistakes. He routed out every hole for plugs, switches, surround sound wiring, phone wiring, and recessed lights (35) with a small router that he couldn't control. He cut all of our wires that we had just had someone install. We also have seams showing on every piece of sheetrock even with it being textured. He never came back because he didn't know how to fix it. Same thing happened with plumbers and electricians. No licenses and just learning. Illegal as can be. They even had license numbers painted on their vehicles and printed on their cards. We checked all licenses with the state. Insurance too. It is a shame some people make me not trust anyone.

If I understand about solid surface pans and wall panels, and showers, then I can ask questions and will know if they understand what they are doing. Thanks.

Comments (25)

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County