Bird feeder Advice needed.......

lizbeth-gardener

I have been into bird feeding for a long time, but want to get a feeder especially for Cardinals. I currently have the Droll Yankee tube feeders that I use for black oil sunflower seed and one for Niger thistle. I also have suet feeders for the woodpeckers. I have been looking at the Droll Yankee hanging feeder that has a dome for the Cardinals, as well as the platform feeders with a dome cover. I believe both of these have holes or screening for drainage. Any experience with either of these types of feeders and things I should look for/be aware of or are there other Cardinal feeders that you prefer?

SaveComment8Like
Comments (8)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Pat z5/6 SEMich

Tubes are iffy, liz, because Cards are basically ground feeders and like a platform or wide saucer because the perches on most tubes are just too short for them. My Cards do like my Droll tube with the saucer attached for more room. I also have a platform feeder that they like.

Save     Thanked by lizbeth-gardener
lizbeth-gardener

Pat, I should have made my post a bit more clear. I am using the tube feeders for black oil sunflower and thistle for other birds (not cardinals) and can't fill them fast enough.

I was looking for an opinion on the two different types of feeders I listed above, just for the Cardinals. I wanted to know if anyone has the Droll Yankee clear plastic hanging saucer type feeder with dome (made with Cardinals in mind) vs a platform feeder. Also, if you have the platform, do you have a cover/dome or open. Do you have any problem with open feeders and big birds (starlings, grackles, jays, etc.) driving the cardinals away?

I would appreciate any info you can offer.

Save    
Old Forester ( Zones 8a-6a ) Ga/NC

I have an abundant cardinal population - I have counted 30+ in my view that encompasses my feeders. My open platform feeder hangs from a tree limb. Its pretty much a free for all when it

comes to different species feeding. Red headed woodpecker is dominant. Cardinals frequent it as often as all the others. Overtime they seem to follow a pecking order. My covered platform feeder sits on a post. See the same birds on it as the hanging. Just ordered some new tubes from Yankee Droll and I see they are offering perch extenders for the tube feeders.

Cardinals can hold their own, wouldn't worry about other birds chasing them away.

I don't have the dome platform feeder but I do believe it would pretty much work as advertised.

lizbeth-gardener

Old Forester: Thanks for sharing your experiences with the feeders in question and I'm glad to hear the Cardinals can hold their own. You are so fortunate to have so many! I have two pair that appear infrequently and would like to encourage more; I love Cardinals! I did see the perch extenders and will probably try some of those, too. I wish this site was more active; I love reading about other birders experiences, tips, sitings, etc.

Save    
Old Forester ( Zones 8a-6a ) Ga/NC

Cardinals prefer a wooded habitat with dense shrubs. Avoid placing feeders in an open space.

Pat z5/6 SEMich

I think Cardinals are timid and usually wait until the other birds are finished for the day before they alight on ANY feeder. I don't think it matters to them as much as the food (BOSS and safflower).

mr1010

I have loads of cardinals outside my window that I watch all day. They love my green, open no roof, square feeder, 14X14, screen on bottom to drain rain, available

on Amazon. They do like nearby shrubs or bushes or tall trees to scope out the feeder before they come eat.

1 Like Save     Thanked by lizbeth-gardener
juliet799

I'm very happy with Perky-Pet Cardinal feeder! It's quite well-constructed out of good sturdy metal and is easy to refill. This feeder has become the centerpiece of our bird station, and I anticipate it will outlast all our other plastic feeders by years.

1 Like Save     Thanked by lizbeth-gardener
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Product Picks Guest Picks: 20 Ways to Play Garden Host to Birds and Bees
Perch some of these houses and feeders around your garden, and watch pollinators and feathered friends flock in
Full Story
Life You Said It: ‘The Birds Will Thank You’ and More Houzz Quotables
Design advice, inspiration and observations that struck a chord this week
Full Story
Step into a Ferguson Showroom and you'll be surrounded by the latest styles in kitchen, bath and lighting design... Read More