SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mxk3

What are you looking forward to this year?

mxk3 z5b_MI
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

In terms of your garden. For me, most of all it will be having the time to enjoy the new perennial border I created last season. I put *so much work* into that border - my entire spring vacation and then some was spent on the initial planting, then pretty much every weekend it was planting new things I bought during the week or tinkering/re-arranging things because they weren't quite right. All.summer.long. And into the fall. Right up until the first snow I was doing this that or the other. So this year, I have a handful of additions/changes, but for the most part I just really want to observe and enjoy it and not bother with any serious tinkering until the fall. Now, whether this is actually achievable or now I don't know -- because I just can't seem to let things be... LOL! But there certainly isn't the pressure (all self-imposed...) that there was last year.

I'm also looking forward to the fruits and vegetables -- eating food fresh from the garden is such a joy (especially perfectly ripe melons!!). I'm still working my way through last year's butternut bounty :0)

In terms of plants, I'm looking forward to seeing my newly planted trees and shrubs bloom this spring -- serviceberry, kousa dogwood, and the Korenspice and Burkwood virburnums. These are all things I've never grown before; I'm big on fragrance and have heard the scent of the virburnums is out of this world (and they're under the bedroom window = bonus). Also, the spigellia (Indian Pinks); saw a pic in a magazine yesterday and reminded me I have them, now I'm eagerly awaiting their bloom, along with "Pritchard's Variety" campanula that will arrive this spring and campanula glomerate (<-- why does this keep changing to an "e") that I planted last summer post-bloom.

What are you looking forward to this year?

Comments (26)