SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
girl_wonder

Mosaic tile on shower pan—hard to keep clean?

girl_wonder
4 years ago

I’d like to put Carrara marble basketweave on my shower pan but I’m concerned it may be hard to keep clean. Any thoughts/advice? I’ve seen that occasionally people edge the pan with marble field tile (maybe 3”x6”?) and then put the basketweave in the middle. Not sure if that helps in cleaning or is just a design decision.

This is for my 1940 bungalow‘s master bath that is aiming for a “vintage-elegant” look. I will have 3”x6” white subway tiles w/ chair rail on the wainscoting and shower walls. The floor in the bathroom will be 12”x12” Carrara field tile with a 18”x48” “rug” of basketweave in front of the 5’ long vanity. (The rug will be lined with the same black as the dots of the basketweave). It will be curbed shower with a regular (not a linear) drain.

FWIW, I’ve seen a larger basketweave moscaic. (So the white blocks are 2”x4” vs. 1”x2”) It would mean fewer grout lines but I don’t really like the look and I think the traditional size basketweave would look better In this era of home plus...IMO feels Iike a better scale with the 3”x6” subway.

Thanks for any thoughts or help!

Comments (9)