SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
medha_nanal

Kangaroo paws versus evergreen daylily?

homey_bird
4 years ago

Hello,

I have a spot in my garden where I need to replace the current plants (they are uneven and not growing properly). Just in terms of the design choice, I need a plant with foliage or bloom color ranging from burgandy/maroon, purple to violet. This will be a row surrounding a sandstone paved area and two lemon trees stand as a backdrop (that dictates my color choice, in that I'd like to create a contrast with the lemons hanging on the trees in the background). This whole area gets full sun. Also, these plants will sit next to a row of Dusty Millers that are already grown and thriving well.

I am currently trying to decide if I should go with Kangaroo Paws or Daylily. I have identified varieties/colors in both (although, with daylilies it's been a tad harder for whatever reasons) -- and it appears that I can find varieties that are evergreen, and have blooms that would offer a nice contrast with the rest of the garden.

My concern with Kangaroo paws has been that I am not sure if the habit of individual plants is grassy. I am seeking a fuller look than what I saw in the pots in the nursery. The nursery look was decidedly flat, somewhat like an orchid (i.e. leaves seem to grow out in more fan-like, flat fashion than in a fuller, circular fashion). The nursery person told me that they cannot be expected to grow much bigger and fuller than that, and that might not be sufficient for a row planting.

In contrast, the daylily is certainly more round and fuller in shape, but finding a variety that falls in the color group mentioned above, and an evergreen, is a tad bit difficult. Althought there are a gazillion daylily varieties, only a few are bred by the growers at a time, and I may be waiting for few months waiting for the right color to pop up.

I am interested to hear from the community how their experience with both these has been. Comparisons will be helpful. Also, if you know of any specific varieties that have worked for you, I'd love to hear.

P.S. My zone is 9/Sunset 15-16. I am in Norcal, Bay Area peninsula.

Thanks in advance!!

Comments (20)