SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rielle_montague

Please help: Trying to figure out shower leak source in new house

riellebee
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

I’m looking for help dealing with the builder and trying to figure out the cause of a leak that appears to be from the master bathroom shower.

We moved into a new construction house in late August 2019. After over five months of use, the shower in our master bathroom leaked. Water came through the recessed light in the ceiling below the bathroom. I contacted the builder and two of their workers (one is a plumber) came to check it out. They turned on all of the shower fixtures (rainfall shower head, wall-mounted shower head, and handheld) and they looked at the opening for the recessed light below. It didn’t leak while the water was on. They thought the leak was coming from cracks in the grout in the corner seams of the shower so they applied caulk in the seams. They did not open any walls to look at the valves or pipes. After researching on Houzz, I’ve learned that a properly waterproofed shower should not leak due to a crack in tile or grout, so I’m concerned with the initial assessment from the builder’s workers. Just over a week later, the shower leaked again. The leak happened after I turned off the water. There are water spots on the ceiling below around the recessed light and also near the light. I’d really appreciate any advice or suggestions on how to determine the source of the leak and corrective options so I’m prepared when the workers return to investigate the leak.

Thanks!

Comments (16)