SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
streetwizeguy

Faux Wood Blinds (Inside Mount Dilemma)

Jeffrey Allen
4 years ago

So I was looking into having 2 in. Faux Wood blinds installed throughout my house but I'm getting conflicting information on whether I have enough depth to facilitate an inside mount.

I have a ranch-style home built in the 1950's. The walls are plaster and I believe the windows are from Wallside. I have about 1 - 3/4 inches depth from the quarter-round molding (that's around sides and top of each window) to the face of the wall.

The bracket depth for the blinds are 1 - 1/8 inches and it states 3 - 1/2 inches of depth is needed for the valance of the blind to be flush to wall.

Of course I would prefer the blinds be flush with the wall but according to the depth requirements I listed above, it seems that the valance and the 2" slats of the blinds will protrude past the wall about a couple inches.

Not a deal breaker as I was told many people still opt for an inside mount even if the blinds aren't flush and that it still looks nicer than an outside mount. However, I'm getting conflicting information on whether the window in my living room has enough depth as it only has 1 inch between the quarter-round and the face of the wall.

One sales person (who also installs) said 1 inch will be fine. But the second sales person (who doesn't do the install) said that because of the size of my living room window (118" x 76") that blinds with 2" slats will be rather heavy and doesn't feel there's sufficient depth to mount the brackets securely enough to ensure the blinds are mounted safely.

I know the easy answer is to go with an outside mount for my living room window. But perhaps there's a better solution?

Please see the pictures below that shows the window in my living room and note how the quarter-round molding impedes the total depth down to 1 inch. And if anyone has an opinion or suggestion on how to securely do an inside mount in this case, I would really appreciate hearing your recommendation.

Comments (10)