SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_409534

Hutch paint color?

Joy M
4 years ago

I would like to paint the hutch in my dining room, but I’m not sure what color to choose. The wall behind it is green and I fill it with collected white dishes.

Suggestions please.

Comments (33)

• jck910
    4 years ago

navy blue and without seeing the whole room it's hard to make suggestions

• Joy M
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Here are some pictures of the space.

• Related Discussions

What color to paint hutch? Pics included

Q

Comments (12)
    I can't remember when....some time back....but someone here showed pics of an armoire they painted. It had a black undercoat then it was painted red. Does anybody remember that? Seems like they sanded the red back to reveal the red undercoat? Smiles:)
    ...See More

painted hutch with stained dining table?

Q

Comments (20)
    I am looking for a corner piece because the space I have is pretty small and I think the room will look better if I remove the hutch I currently am using, besides the fact that the current hutch is not the right color to match my grandmother's set. I don't think I want to paint the current hutch and I like the built in look of the painted corner hutch. I thought about the pediment piece maybe making it a little too tall also; the seller told me it measured 85" tall and it should just make it. I wonder if the pediment can be removed? I really like the arched door, but I also found yet another corner hutch locally that is a little simpler. Not sure it goes with my stuff either though. Thoughts?
    ...See More

Really struggling with paint color for kitchen island and dining hutch

Q

Comments (9)
    After getting over the giggles about the color names (who thinks those up?), I went to the SW site and looked at some of their suggestions. I kind of like this if you think you might like a green color. I got there by clicking on the colors in the color strip on this page: http://www.sherwin-williams.com/homeowners/color/find-and-explore-colors/paint-colors-by-family/SW7029-agreeable-gray/#/7029/?s=coordinatingColors&p=PS0 I'll bet if you play around on this site for a bit you'll find some possibilities that speak to you.
    ...See More

Laundry Doors Same Paint Color as Cabinets?

Q

Comments (5)
    Paint the laundry doors the same as the wall color. Let your eye move through to the back since you want the cabinets to be the showcase. The hutch color is a nice highlight and it will be the highlight if the laundry door remain in the background. The baseboards and trim are very thin. This might be the perfect scenario to paint the walls and trim the same color in different sheens.
    ...See More
  • 2pups4me
    4 years ago

I agree with Ida. It’s lovely.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    4 years ago

Rough up the surface of the wood using a brass wire brush and then simply rub the paint on the surface allowing the surface of the old wood to show through like in these photos. I think it would make an interesting cabinet which is dark enough to contrast with your walls, but not too dark

• Sammy
    4 years ago

If I was going to paint it, I’d paint it black but choose a contrasting color (like light blue) for the shelves and the back walls — I guess that would be the interior. (; But since your walls are green, I‘d probably choose something other than blue for the interior, like a French Grey or putty color.

• cawaps
    4 years ago

I really like it as it is, too.

• jck910
    4 years ago

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

I've painted a lot of these french provincial types of furniture from the 50's and 60's. is yours a real wood or one of the very thin veneer wood over something else?

depending upon the look you want, you'll need to pick the right prep/paint combo.

for instance, if you want the black rough look one like Beverly pointed out, you'd need raw wood to start with, and a black milk paint. (real milk paint mixed from powder). but don't do the wire brush thing. not on your wood. that one in her pic is vintage-look type of solid oak. a lot diff from the wood used to make yours. If you wire brushed yours, you'd end up w/scratches and gouges.

The first 3 are all a few of the ones that I did:

for instance, I did this one in an enamel, chalk and a metallic paint

and this one was a milk paint (from a powder that I mixed w/water. Real Milk Paint)

and another one in a chalk paint. Ochre by Annie Sloan. fine sanded and waxed.

(I redid the top as well, but it's not applicable to yours)

(thoroughly cleaned (this one was grimy when I got it), fine sanded and first coat of chalk paint. if you use anything else besides chalk paint or a real milk paint, you'll have to prime it)

If you do a chalk paint correctly, you can get a super smooth finish without all the prep work and brushing/spraying an enamel paint would require. enlarge this pic and see how smooth it looks.

the handles were all sprayed.

This Ochre color (or an Antique White) might look good w/ yours. I did an undercoat of bits of blue would peek through when I sanded the corners. you could do that w/yours too. Or, paint the back panel of your top hutch w/one of those Spring Green colors. inside green, outside this off-white color, and your white dishes inside. spray your handles a nice gold or silver, or patina them w/a verdi gris type of green shade. gorgeous!

But, if you want something a bit diff, here are some other options:

I like this color green. and then did a paper or fabric back panel. You could also carefully sand your top portion and use a dark gel stain.

want to know how to paint w/milk paint? go to MissMustard Seed and watch her videos. (I like The Real Paint Milk Paint better than hers, but that's me. )

same w/this one. interior painted a soft green w/paper back panel.

Black might be a bit too harsh w/the rest of the things in your room

General Finishes Milk Paint. Coastal Blue. (they have greens too, or you can mix your own colors)
    GF milk paint isn't a true milk paint. it's an enamel paint in a satin finish.

or do you want something glossier? BM Advance.

as for green colors, I love this one.

these colors are pretty easy to replicate from AnnieSloan and her chalk paints. Like Olive and Chateau Gray would give you an old world french green shade. (remember, if you sand after the 1st and 2nd coats with 220 grit, you can get a buttery smooth finish and not that rough, chalk-like finish)

• ljangell44
    4 years ago

Nice job Beth, you've got some talent!

• doods
    4 years ago

Very nice Beth! Love them all, now will you come and do mine! ;-))

• Joy M
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I think I’m even more confused than when I started. I originally considered a blue gray color. Then a cream and pondered black as suggested. I bought this second hand and just don’t love the finish but do love the curves. I currently have no blue in the house but do love a blue / green color combo.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    4 years ago

thanks! doods, if you live close by, I can be hired! lol

Eliz, what paint style do you like best out of those pics? I don't think that blue/gray color you have above is the best.

I actually like the black w/your floors. (although if you go dark like this, I think you'll need to lighten up that other part of the room w/all the solid/dark colors furniture. maybe get those chairs recovered in a nicer green or print)

Or perhaps you could bring in a nice rug w/these green shades to use under your coffee table or dining table.

General Finishes Milk Paint was used on this one (see colors in bold, below). I've painted w/LampBlack on quite a few pieces. Goes on nicely.

There is nothing better than a classic black. Lamp Black transformed this dated china cabinet into something both timeless and modern. Queenstown Gray was used to accent the interior. The china cabinet back was lined in a fabulous Magnolia Home wallpaper.

• Joy M
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I think I like the black the best.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    4 years ago

i do to. but you need a rug under the coffee tale. something w/greens, ivories blacks, etc.

this rug has some green/black and ivory in it

safavieh Palazzo black cream

any chance of redoing those chairs?

to punch it up a bit?

• Joy M
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Here are some more views.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    4 years ago

In the dining room I like this Birchlane Jute rug,,,,and I like the green/black rug (above) in the other room

or this one w/the black hutch

• Joy M
    Original Author
    4 years ago

A round rug under the coffee table?

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    4 years ago

no, i'd prob do a rectangle. maybe 6x4, 5x7

• Cocotini Hartman
    4 years ago

Beth H- when you use chalk paint do you wax or poly as a final coat?

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    4 years ago

i've done both. just depends how much use it's going to get.

• Cocotini Hartman
    4 years ago

so you don't recommend one over the other? Or maybe a better question is one of them easier than the other-lol

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    4 years ago

not really. if it's going to be near water, poly may be a better choice. (water drops will leave spots on wax finish) If it's just sitting in a room, then wax would be fine too. (waxing takes a lot of work, so if you want a good workout, do the wax!) I've also used Pure Tung Oil. several coats over a few weeks actually hardens like a varnish.

Also, if it's a newer wood or solid wood, poly may not be the best choice because as wood expands and contracts it could crack the clear coat. If you're in a humid environment, wax may be better. if you're in a really hot/humid climate, then wax wouldn't be the best choice because it could melt!

so, see? it just depends !

• Cocotini Hartman
    4 years ago

oh, wow- lots to consider. thanks so much!! Since I'm in the hot, humid South doesn't sound like either is ideal

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    4 years ago

coco,,,,go w/the wax then. should be ok. (unless your interior averages 105! )

Work with a clean cotton rag, and a little wax at a time. spread to cover. let dry a bit and then use another clean rag to buff. Basically the same as waxing a car. Dark wax can never be undone, so if you aren't sure, use a clear wax first, then a darker wax. wax can be removed w/mineral spirits.

I like Briwax the best. I have both light and dark.

• lynartist
    4 years ago

Beautiful work Beth. I just did these vintage beds for my granddaughters; used chalk paint. I did a lighter base color, then a darker top color so I could distress them. I find it easy to work with and generally forgiving. I also use Briwax, have for years.

• lynartist
    4 years ago

Joy, I like the black Beth suggests or a very dark green. It will look beautiful!

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    4 years ago

lyn, the coloring is beautiful! nice job. what color green did you use?

I love layering colors.

I did my blue doors w/5 different shades, along w/the walnut base stain.just in case anyone wants to see the process,,

completely raw, left, coat of stain, right

I used milk paint mostly, maybe a little chalk paint. I mixed diff colors of the milk paint and overlapped w/wet brush to get blending.

This is how milk paint looks once dry (and why yes, I do have a paint hoarder issue, thank you. I've used every single one of those cans of paint!)

you have to pick where you want distressing. has to be where it would occur naturally, so the edging gets it the mostapplication of pure Tung Oil. really makes those colors pop, eh?

after a few days it gets absorbed. repeated applications of tung oil will act like a varnish, harden and close off the pores.

almost dry here. now you can see how the blending of the colors w/the wood really tie in to one another.

(I had seeded glass cut and installed it myself.) the backs of these doors remained the walnut stain color.

and their final resting spot after I installed the vintage door hardware. the colors really darkened and I ended up coating this with poly.

• Theresa Janssen
    4 years ago

love all the transformations of the hutches. i personally ove black lacquer as an option because it will bring some shine. I also like the idea of the bright apple green or some other bright color, perhaps a cherry red. it would really give some character and uniqueness to the room. cant wait to see what you decide.

• Theresa Janssen
    4 years ago

beth, you do gorgeous work!

• lynartist
    4 years ago

I couldn’t find colors I liked Beth so I hand mixed them. I needed these to be done quickly so did chalk paint. I wanted a very dark green!

• lynartist
    4 years ago

Love the blue doors! Just gorgeous!!!

• mileve
    4 years ago

following