SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
anniedeighnaugh

Aging out decor or not?

Annie Deighnaugh
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

As some of you may know, we built our own home, spent a lot of time designing it and I spent a lot of time and effort decorating it including faux finishing columns and sewing all the window treatments. I love how it came out and still get lots of compliments on it. The rooms are traditional in design so in one sense, timeless.

But then again, it's 10 years this year since we moved in so, though I'm used to living with it so it looks current to me... relative to actual home decor trends it may look "dated" to someone on the outside...nothing in the place is RH or pottery barn. Rather it has a lot of memorabilia and stuff that is important to us...a boat my grandpa made, a bench and stained glass lampshade my dad made, etc. I love what we did and I enjoy it still a lot.

So my question is, is aging enough reason to redo a room? Or should I just continue to enjoy them as they are and do minimal refreshes such as pillows or bedding as needed? I don't really want to change it as I love it, but I don't want to be living in a time warp either.

Comments (113)