SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
taliaferro

How would you treat this beautiful but dark built-in of my Tudor?

taliaferro
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

Hello! I need advice. The great room of our recently purchased Tudor has 3 stained built-ins (wet bar, dining hutch, and a wall unit). They are beautifully crafted but dark. We are considering partially painting the largest built in: the wall unit. I’m working with an interior designer and she created a rendering which includes painting part of the wall unit and wallpapering the shelf backing. I don’t love it. She is working on a few other renderings. We both agree that the wallpaper is a no.

I am an avid reader of this forum and have always been impressed with the ideas and guidance generously offered. While my interior designer is great, I am really interested in opinions and advice from this community!

The walls will be painted white and since the floors are red oak, the lightest we could get is a mid-tone stain.

The center section was originally designed with doors and we are having clear glass doors made. The door on the end, under the bridge leads to the master bedroom wing.

Here are some photos of the other built-ins in the room, as well as the fireplace and the stairway, which we are also thinking of painting (probably only the balusters). No plans to paint the hutch or the wet bar (only replacing the plumbing fixtures and countertop).

This is the second floor bridge overlooking the great room. Another built-in here. This desk will be painted emerald green. The rugs on the steps and the second floor will be pulled and replaced with hardwood by necessity because two of my three dogs have special needs and they do have occasional accidents and I find hardwood so much easier to clean.

This final photo is a close up of the wall unit. As you can see the wood is distressed (not the baseboards, that’s just wear and tear). I am concerned that the painted finish will disappoint me. I know it won’t have a smooth finish like paint grade wood.

Thank you for your indulgence and I can’t wait to hear your suggestions! 😊

Comments (55)