SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dillybeansown

Heliopsis or helianthus? Opinions?

Dillybeansown (6b in the Ozarks)
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

Looking to add more late summer/fall bloomers here. I’ve delayed adding the daisylike flowers to my perennial beds, but it’s time now. My garden begs for them come summertime when the roses are sleeping and/or being devoured, and many other of my favorites are resting.

Which do do you prefer? Helianthus or heliopsis? I’ve never grown either, so they seem much too similar to me to make the decision atm. My garden is fairly small, so whatever I plant I like to make sure it will have a big impact. Which one is more reliable for you? Favorite cultivars? Which tolerates dry conditions better? I’ve looked in previous posts and gleaned from them, but hoping for more information, especially of a comparison between the two. :)

I especially like the look of Helianthus Lemon Queen, as the lighter yellow blends in more with my color scheme than a screaming gold. Do any of you have much experience with that cultivar?

Also adding some rudbeckia hirta “Irish Eyes” and “Prairie Sun,” as I much prefer the green eyed versions to the black eyed Susan’s. Pity there isn’t a reliable perennial version with green eyes and the same performance level as Goldsturm.

Comments (9)